magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magic Jack plus getting hot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denny2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, When I say droped call, the 2 lights on top of the MJ plus would not even be on when it overheated, the green and yellow lights would not even be on, then I took it apart and had a fan blowing on the electronics and it worked fine.Sometimes even with the electronics exposed and NO fan, it would get hot the the Green and yellow light would be off and of course not dial tone.
Denny
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually don't look at the lights when any calls are dropped. I'm usually out in the garage. So I cant observe very easily from there...lol. But Ill be more aware of them now. My last drop off happened 2 days ago after about an hour conversation, it just goes silent for 2 seconds then went into a dial tone.
Even with the fan blowing. It appears we have more questions than answers.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MJ network USUALLY (but not always) automatically disconnects your call at around the one hour mark; sometimes sooner, sometimes later.
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had conversations on my MagicJack Plus for over 3 hours many times no drop offs. I remember my older magicjack would drop off at exactly 2 hours exactly every time. But this MJ plus has various results. This is what were trying to figure out. The inconsistency, hopefully well come up with some answers.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivinLarge wrote:
I've had conversations on my MagicJack Plus for over 3 hours many times no drop offs. I remember my older magicjack would drop off at exactly 2 hours exactly every time. But this MJ plus has various results. This is what were trying to figure out. The inconsistency, hopefully well come up with some answers.

- Good luck with that Wink You'll find it's not related to heat or whatever... the network EVENTUALLY disconnects regardless of MagicJack device model, whether or not the MJ+'s casing is pulled apart and a fan's blowing directly on it, etc. In the past, at least, the company has claimed that it reserves the right to do this in order to ensure that its servers don't get so overloaded with so many extremely long calls (or calls made by callers who forget to hang up when they're done) that other customers aren't able to place new calls. When it happens to me (again, usually around the one-hour mark but a year or two ago it *used* to occur at around the half-hour mark... they've since increased their network capacity quite dramatically) I just immediately call the other person right back. Still beats the frequency with which my cellular calls get dropped - by about 1,000 percent.
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel we are getting better information from this forum than the MJ "Tech" line. I have more confidence from the people in here .
DeepYellow
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Passive heat sink cooling suggestion for a MJ+ using a power Reply with quote

Passive heat sink cooling suggestion for a MJ+ using a power adapter

-The first time I used the power adapter with my MJ+, the MJ+ became so hot after a while it was uncomfortable to hold - way too hot for electronics to stay healthy. The heat seemed to be coming from the power adapter plug as it was very hot too. I agree with other posters who believe that at least part of the problem is heat traveling from the adapter through the metal to metal USB plug and socket into the MJ+. I haven't had heat issues when running the MJ+ from a computer USB port.

-As other posters have suggested, I added the short USB cable between the MJ+ and the power adapter and the MJ+ was noticeably cooler .

-I also added two passive heat sinks to the MJ+, and the MJ+ hasn't been more than comfortably warm since.

-Specifically, I put a round cake pan upside down close to my computer and a power bar. I placed the MJ+ flat on the pan (couldn't put it in the center as the USB cable is too short), and gently put a large pot with a thick metal base on top of the MJ+.

-The short USB cable supplied with the MJ+ is just long enough to stretch between the power bar and the MJ+ on the upside down cake pan, with enough room for the pot to balance on top of the MJ+ without sliding off. A smaller pot would have no problem at all.

-As an aside, if someone did want to run their MJ+ plugged directly into the power adapter, this particular passive heat sink setup wouldn't work. The power adapter is thicker than the MJ+, so the MJ+ won't lie flat and a pot on top of the MJ+ will be at an angle and slide off . Putting a USB cable, which is thinner than a MJ+, between the power adapter and the MJ+ solves this problem.

-I just used spare pots and pans that were at hand. Both pan and pot have 10" diameters. Any flat metal surface in contact with the MJ+ will conduct heat away from it, cooling it down. The sides of the pan and pot act as cooling fins, increasing surface area and cooling ability. You could also use just one pot or pan, either laying the MJ+ on top of an upside down pot/pan, or putting a right side up pot/pan on top of the MJ+ as it lies on a desk or shelf.

-I received my MJ+ a week ago and will set this up more permanently in a while. I will use a longer USB cable so the MJ+ can be in the center of the pot and pan. Ideally I will somehow secure upper and lower pan/pot so I can hang the whole thing at the back of the shelf, out of the way, and where it will get more air circulation which helps with the cooling. I may get up the courage to take off the MJ+ casing and drill ventilation holes as LivinLarge posted above.

Would love to hear of any other passive cooling ideas (eg no cost once set up).

And a shout out to LivinLarge for the YouTube link showing a MJ+ being opened up.

DY
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Problem DeepYellow, Just trying to come up with different ideas. And In order to make my vented cover I just took of the one side of my MagicJack Plus . The plastic cover on the side that has the word "magicJack " on it. it just pops right off its only stuck on with double stick tape. I just took it off took a piece of flat plastic ,traced out my original cover cut and new cover and used a paper punch and punched out about 20 holes. Anyway well keep the ideas coming. Right now I have mine plugged into an electrical out let ,no USB extension, and turned my fan off. And its been working fine for the past few weeks. 3 hour + conversations no drop offs. Well see how long this lasts.
DeepYellow
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LivinLarge,

Thanks for the detailed step-by-step description of your cooling solution, and how it's working out for you.

The MJ+ plugged directly into the power adapter seems to be the hottest configuration, so it's impressive your device is running without any problems such as dropped calls.

The thing that had been holding me back from ventilating the MJ+ case was voiding the warranty and losing the ability to return the MJ+ for a replacement if it was defective. But if your holes are only in the copy of the plastic cover, the original cover could be put back on if the unit failed, and so sent back.

What do you think of the idea of just removing the cover and leaving the top of the case open?

Take care,

DY
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, DeepYellow..I think for our BETA testing (lol)this will work fine..as long as your not in a damp or very humid location. Ya, just pop the cover right off .And see how it goes.
Denny2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for you all information, when I called Magic Jack customer support and told them my Magic Jack Plus was overheating, they sent me a new one and DID NOT WANT THE OLD ONE BACK.....So don't worry about voiding any warranty or punching holes in the case.
Denny
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Denny...great information there. I did not know that.
Denny2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livin Large,
I was SHOCKED that they did not want the old one back, they sent me everything, the USB cable, power adapter, Magic Jack Plus, I've still got the old original Magic Jack plus and all the things that went with it. All Magic Jack wanted was $9.95 for shipping.......
Denny
Mayo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you guys.Thats one of the first things I noticed about the magic jack was how HOT it was....so

After reading this i decided to get an exacto blade and pop the front plate off my magic jack. I then got a plastic lid from strawberries and cut it to the size of the magic jack.. I then poped 10-15 holes in the plastic top with a paper holr punch and then taped it back into the place the "magic Jack faceplate" sat. I obviously kept the magic jack faceplate so i can make it "original" at anytime.

I will report back on how it works ...

I also wanted to add I have been thinking maybe its a static build up in the magic jack itself? And I was thinking if you put the magic jack on a powerbar with a timer and have it shut off even for only a few minutes in the middle of the night... if that would work... its just a guess.

Any updates on the guys for this thread? Love to hear them if you do.
Mayo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24 hours MG is working perfect so far will update again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: