magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magic Jack plus doesn't receive calls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moshel
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack plus doesn't receive calls Reply with quote

I'm journalist who plan to write an article about MJ+.

I purchased Magic Jack Plus.
When connecting to computer works fine.
When connected to the router doesn't receive calls. I can call out

I assigned a static address to MJ+
I port forward 5060 and 5070 (TCP+UDP) to that static address ==> still doesn't work
I was with support for 8 house, they even logged into my computer -- nothing worked.

I plan to return it and write my experience (I got already and RMA) but decided to see if anybody here can help me.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

thealien
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on writing a review, you can add that many people have had problems with MJ+. Either like the one you describe, or like mine where I can receive calls and make them but every single time the sound quality will vary terribly. One minute the sound is very "choppy" and the next it's okay. And it comes and goes in waves.

I've spent many hours on Live Chat to try to solve my issues, without success.
And I've heard of other people having the same kind of issues with MJ+.

I've decided to use it as a regular model (plugged in my computer) for the time being, because it's working flawlessly this way. I know it's more expensive, but still it's a lot less than the price of my regular land line.

I'm hoping to get an eventual software update that might fix my issues.
There was a "beeping" problem right from the get go, when it first came out and a firmware update was quickly produced to try to alleviate the problem. Every new MJ+ is being automatically updated upon activation now. But still some people are still experiencing the occasional beep sound (like someone unintentionally pressing a number on the telephone keypad).

However, there are many owners of a MagicJack Plus that are not having any problems with it. Maybe it's a network issue? Who knows?

Maybe VocalTEC, the company maker of the MagicJack+ device, came out with it too soon, and had not tested it enough ?

If I were you, I'd try to get some answers from Dan Borrislow himself on this...
skrichard
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Jack plus doesn't receive calls Reply with quote

I found your post and it is almost the same thing that is happening with me and I have given up trying to fix it and will return the f******** thing as soon as Iget the RMA #.

I can call out regardless if it is plugged into computer or router. However all incoming calls ring to my cell or go straight to cell vm if I am on the cell. After 4 days and countless hours wasted, this is just not worth it for me to keep dealing with.

The orginal SILVER unit I had worked fine. I shouldn't have let it expire.

duh.

moshel wrote:
I'm journalist who plan to write an article about MJ+.

I purchased Magic Jack Plus.
When connecting to computer works fine.
When connected to the router doesn't receive calls. I can call out

I assigned a static address to MJ+
I port forward 5060 and 5070 (TCP+UDP) to that static address ==> still doesn't work
I was with support for 8 house, they even logged into my computer -- nothing worked.

I plan to return it and write my experience (I got already and RMA) but decided to see if anybody here can help me.

billwynne
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was on the phone with Live Agent for 6 hours last night and they all but screwed up my computer. They had me changing the router, network adapter and more and it was obvious to me that they were just reading a script and no one really knew what was going on.

I am disappointed. If it is hooked up to computer there are no problems but hooked up to the router I can make calls but all incoming calls go right to voice mail. I would like to know what the fix is.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billwynne wrote:
Was on the phone with Live Agent for 6 hours last night and they all but screwed up my computer. They had me changing the router, network adapter and more and it was obvious to me that they were just reading a script and no one really knew what was going on.

I am disappointed. If it is hooked up to computer there are no problems but hooked up to the router I can make calls but all incoming calls go right to voice mail. I would like to know what the fix is.

May I ask HOW were you on the phone for 6 hours when MJ only offers online chat support??
Have you tried replacing the cheap Cat 5 cable which comes with the MJ with a better one?
billwynne
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:

May I ask HOW were you on the phone for 6 hours when MJ only offers online chat support??
Have you tried replacing the cheap Cat 5 cable which comes with the MJ with a better one?

Great point, I was on with Live Agent chatting, I have been traumatized by their BS...
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahaha well that explains it as they have a way of doing that to people..
billwynne
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
hahahaha well that explains it as they have a way of doing that to people..

Do you have the MJ+ up and running?
I am at a loss since it works when connected to the computer but not when it is just plugged into the router. Works for some people so I don't know why it won't work for me...
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the orig MJ since Ayg 2008 and do not have the Plus.
Most people don't have a problem when it is plugged into their router but quite a few do. I have seen a bad ( or cheap) Cat 5 cable causing problems for some people, the firmware of the router itself ( always make sure you have the lastest version on the firmware) or just an incompatablily between the router and MJ or maybe a bad MJ dongle.
If possible try it on a friends router ( hopefully a different brand) and see if the problem stays the same, if so it COULD be a bad MJ dongle or even the MJ power supply.

Just a few things off teh top of my head.
chocolatenova
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: magic jack stuff Reply with quote

ok i dont know if this will help but then again help is help. so, for troubleshooting this problem (which by the way "magicjack" the company should be helping with but is no help at all. here are somethings you want to try and the reason for it some of it.

#1 connect your magicjack to the pc with nothing else connected( that means no phone yet, and register it! (obviously)

#2 after that call someone with the interface program on your screen. not on the physical phone. do it right on screen with that stupid magicjack program that basically installs itself on your pc.

#3 when you have succeeded in the calling your cell phone or house phone. then you can move to #4

#4 now connect your phone and make a call. if it succeeds move to #5

#5 now connect your ethernet cord to the magicjack.

#6 disconnect your magic jack from your pc or laptop and connect it to your usb power plug that came with it. it should be black.
***ok this is the part that had me stuck!****

i used an usb 6ft extension thinking it would work the same but it didnt, you know why because power dies out along the line as it travels and apparently i was trying to relocate the magicjack when it needs to be plugged directly or with the little extension that comes with it.

some of you guys may have done that some of you havent but it cleared it up for me and now i can receive calls and make them.

now im sure you guys used the short usb or even plugged it in. so im going to give you more information about your router that may help.
there might be a setting in your router that might be keeping you from using magicjack or just plain old giving you bad quality.

that setting is in your NAT filter(ing), its called SIP ALG. if this is enabled, disable it. and it might work for you. why? you can look it up but i will give you an idea, voip! (Voice over IP) nuff said you can research the rest, most netgear's have it thats a fact, check yours.

2nd the ports! now im not sure if thats going to be the major problem. however, having your router pin point certain ports to use for certain mac address can hurt. and i did 5060 to 5070 as the guy who posted first.

3rd i heard that DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) may mess up service as well, dont quote me on anything, i read this on another post and giving it to you as troubleshooting advice. i didnt not have to alter this setting as it was already disabled.

and thats about it. good luck with everything. if you need to know how to alter your router i will be more that happy to help as this is my line of work. you can email me at bakrhamilton@hotmail.com or number1pcdoctors@gmail.com.

and again good luck!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: