magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magic Jack has really bad static
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sniper123
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack has really bad static Reply with quote

Ok out of the blue magic jack has been acting up. When I get a call the static is just out of control basically making the conversation not worth having. I don't know what caused this all I do know is I have unplugged re-plugged magic-jack and have rebooted my pc still same thing continues. This static noise is like when a real bad cell phone or cell loses reception. I did notice the static got bad and then magic jack disappeared. replugged magic jack it was working. The static is noticeable when you speak up or receive a call dial tone is clean.

I thought the static was a passing phase turns out its very continuous. any resets I can do? or advice?. Im worried that this magic jack isnt so great now this annoying static is happening very often Sad.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

Wyrdmage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also experiencing this problem, and have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it. The only other thing I could think of was that the device was for whatever reason, not functioning properly anymore. When I talked to MJ customer service, they told me I would have to pay ANOTHER $39.95 to get a replacement.

Let me know if you figure this out, because its gotten to the point where I let my voicemail pick up and email people, unless its really urgent in which case i have to use a neighbor's phone. Aaargh. I wish MJ would support its customers and quit yanking us around.
Wyrdmage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and you can also try using a headset, that seems to eliminate the static issue, though if you are anything like me, this "solution" won't be quite good enough.
sniper123
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news i tried my other laptop and its..... fine. So I think it is pc specific. Dont know why but I will plug in the magic jack back into this laptop some day
devinmccloud
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniper, it says a lot about your intellect when an individual tries to troubleshoot the situation and use his brain instead of just getting frustrated and claiming MJ fraud (cross post ramblings). I applaud you. I think this is a problem the Magicjack owner never saw coming, the fact that there would be so many variables related to the individuals computer that could cause problems. You might want to try and clean out your usb port, it's possible to get hairs and all kinds of garbage on the contacts. It's hard to say, but that could be the static problem. While your at it, open your case and spray it out. I try to do this once a month to all my pc's. If that fails, you may want to check for EMI or Electro magnetic Interference. In the pc world it's known as "jitter" or "crosstalk". Jitter is the destabilization of a signal as it travels across the media. Too much jitter and the signals become unusable, which is why so much effort is expended in protecting against jitter-causing conditions such as EMI and crosstalk. I am not sure how much protection a rj-11 cable or telephone cable has. Might be something to rule out....just a guess.
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that PC specific noise is usually related to CD/DVD burner drivers/programs and USB driver programs like the one that runs my back pack drive.

Best results is when MagicJack is run on a fresh dedicated machine. choppy,garble,static noise can result from these drivers.
Wyrdmage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats man, I'm glad your MJ works on a different machine! Unfortunately, for reasons unknown, mine does not. As to the comment regarding jitter and hair in the usb ports, neither of those seem to be the problem, my ports are all cleaned out, I just built the box MJ is running on from a new clean case, and the MJ still has the static problem even when every electric item in teh house is turned off, and I use a corded phone. I had thought before that maybe interference was the culprit, and so bought a shielded case and tucked the MJ inside, but that made no difference either. I'm willing to try all suggestion, but I havent run across many people with new ones. :/
momo
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyrdmage wrote:
congrats man, I'm glad your MJ works on a different machine! Unfortunately, for reasons unknown, mine does not. As to the comment regarding jitter and hair in the usb ports, neither of those seem to be the problem, my ports are all cleaned out, I just built the box MJ is running on from a new clean case, and the MJ still has the static problem even when every electric item in teh house is turned off, and I use a corded phone. I had thought before that maybe interference was the culprit, and so bought a shielded case and tucked the MJ inside, but that made no difference either. I'm willing to try all suggestion, but I havent run across many people with new ones. :/

it's possible the connections on the MJ board, that go to the RJ-11 connector may be the problem with yours, since it seems to "travel" with the MJ dongle to any computer.

It may also be the phone connector itself, or dirt there too.
Sometimes static is an analog problem.
Remember, all digital signals are, usually, analog first, (Analog to Digital converter, ADC), or converted to analog from the digital bits, (Digital to Analog converter, DAC), so this may be a simple connector or solder problem on the board itself.

Wave soldering sometimes may leave a cold solder connection on some pins, causing it to be good one second and off the next second.
This can cause a "crackel" sound, like static, when it deals with analog sound, going to or from a DAC or ADC.

one other thought Smile are you calling the same person as the test?
Maybe their phone wire is doing the crackeling, and not your MJ Razz

but, if you call your own MJ #, for voice mail, and you still hear the static,
chances are, the bad connection on the connector inside the MJ, or your own phones RJ-11 plug, or phone wire may be the cause.
(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)
EVGA G-force 7600 GT PCIe x16 card, in x1 speed)
New 12vdc 16 amp (192w) PSU
Wyrdmage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow interesting post. Razz I have "tested" calling many numbers, the result is always the same. Also, I have tried multiple phones, of various varieties, so it's not a phone issue. I cleared out the jack that the phone plugs into on the MJ, and the problem is still there. So basically all thats left is a bad MJ right? Correct me if I'm wrong cuz most of what u said confused me. XD
momo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I cleared out the jack that the phone plugs into on the MJ, and the problem is still there. So basically all thats left is a bad MJ right? Correct me if I'm wrong cuz most of what u said confused me.

YES, grasshopper, if all you have tried, outside of the MJ dongle, has not yet solved your problem, it is then safe to assume, the MJ, as the last item not looked into, Razz ... is the source of the static.

Sorry to confuse you with the techno babbel in the last post, but, simply stated...

there could be a bad connection in the MJ dongle, that goes to the actual RJ-11 jack, or anywhere else in the analog path of that board

what I was saying in the other post is, a source of the crackel, or static, could be from the analog signal before it's digitized and sent to the computer.

If you can't open your dongle, or if you don't want to, I'd say try to send it back.
BUT, if you have some knowledge of circuitry and what a bad connection, or cold solder joint looks like, you could look for it yourself, instead of sending it back.

It could also be a part in the board, anywhere along the analog path as well, like a transistor, or even the IC itself, screwing up the analog signal, but if it's a simple bad connection, you may spot it, if you know what to look for, and save yourself the trouble dealing with the MJ company.
(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)
Wyrdmage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG I think I love you! In a completely platonic, non-sexual, friendly way....you know what, forget i said it. Razz Anyways, my dad is a comp tech and taught me years ago how to fix busted circuit bords that just need some soldering. I'll crack this bad boy open and see if I can spot the problem, if not maybe he can. THANK YOU!!!! XD
momo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyrdmage wrote:
OMG I think I love you! In a completely platonic, non-sexual, friendly way....you know what, forget i said it. Razz Anyways, my dad is a comp tech and taught me years ago how to fix busted circuit bords that just need some soldering. I'll crack this bad boy open and see if I can spot the problem, if not maybe he can. THANK YOU!!!! XD

I'm curious if you were able to troubleshoot the problem?

it could also be one of the interface parts,
... transistor with internal junction breaking down,
... resistor / capacitor with a hairline crack,
... anything in the analog path of the RJ-11 conector.

not JUST a bad connection of a part on the board, ...

it can even be a hairline crack somewhere on the boards trace patterns.

if you have a simple signal tracer (analog of course Very Happy ) it could help to give a clue where the crackle starts
(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)
Wyrdmage
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have a signal tracker, and I cant find anything wrong with the board itself, although that doesnt mean anything. The problem persists, unfortunately.
momo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyrdmage wrote:
I dont have a signal tracker, and I cant find anything wrong with the board itself, although that doesnt mean anything. The problem persists, unfortunately.

you may be able to get a signal tracer from Radio Shack

with analog signals, ... a simple signal tracer is just an audio amplifier,
like the one here...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062620&cp=&sr=1&origkw=signal+tracer&kw=signal+tracer&parentPage=search

Smile

I think it already has an input "volume control" on it, but may need a capacitor to the Plus input side to keep unwanted DC from entering, if it doesn't already have one there.

it should at least be enough to trace the different sections of the RJ-11 jack area, including the transistor inputs and outputs (base, collector)

you'd start from the RJ-11 jack and work back, through the transistors, resistors and caps to see if the crackel stops closer to the main chip.

sadly enough it could be coming from the main chip analog out that goes to the actual interface area for the RJ-11 jack... but if it's starting after that, you'll stop hearing it at some point along that line.

The part that has it at the output and not at its input is the part that's bad.

YOU DO KNOW that you'll have to test this circuit when it's actually powered and connected to a call, unless the crackel starts even with idle mode, BUT, it will have to be powered by the computer and active, so be careful you don't short anything 'cause it will make the computer either reboot, from the momentary loss of the 5volts DC on the USB port, or if the system is really old, may short out the power-supply, so maybe your dad can do it, or with dad looking on with you , is the best way. Wink

I have a schematic of a possible close likeness to the Magicjack interface for the RJ-11 and Ringer Circuit, it's just a small JPEG picture file around 300KBytes... and the RJ-11 with Hook-Switch circuit, is around 110KBytes

Click the thumbnails to get the full size pix.

if you don't see the thumbnails of it above, you may have your firewall blocking "Banner/Skyscraper Ads" pictures.

I don't know how close this is to the parts actually on the MagicJack, but it can at least give you an idea of the type of connections , parts and wiring, that may be similar on the magicjack.

Wink

To save the pictures to your hard drive, easier ...

you can click the links below to just get the JPG into your browser, without all the other stuff from the website of the picture servers, I just realized it may work when I checked out the properties of the picture on the site Very Happy

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/sp/3eb76eff9158a75c5a8053a229844146/Schematic_RJ-11_and_Ringer_Circuit.jpg

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/sp/6754de7b99d775b44078c8d4fcf5e76c/RJ-11_Jack__Hook-Switch_-_To_Phone.jpg

if not, 'cause the number in the middle of the link is generated by my unique login, just click the thumbnail and check the pictures properties, on that picture server site, for the link unique to your login,...
... (RIGHT-MOUSE-BUTTON click , over that picture , to see that menu)

(Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)
mike72172
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Poor sound/static when using a connected phone Reply with quote

It's interesting when I use my magicjack with my bluetooth headset it sounds great; however, when I try plugging a cordless phone into the MJ it is static all the way. I'm using a powerd USB hub and those individuals on the other end of the call do not hear the static. three phones now and each one has the issue. I'm now using a Dect 6.0 cordless from GE. It does not get the caller ID and my end sounds like a bad cell phone connection. If you have any ideas I'm willing to try. All MJ support would say is use it through the headset.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: