magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just Received magicJack / Whole House Wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caudill22
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Just Received magicJack / Whole House Wiring Reply with quote

I just received my MagicJack and plugged into my house telephone wiring, just like I had prviously used Vonage, and it works fine supplying dial tone throughout the house. I had read that it might be possible and it was important to me to have the dial tone throughout my home just like a landline, so I took a shot and ordered magiJack to find that it does work. I just thought I would share my experience with others in case it is something they are wondering about.

By the way, so far the sound quality is as good as Vonage. We'll see how it works out in the coming months.
booyah5
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running: GE wall phone in kitchen,AT&t desk phone in office,Vtech 5.8 Ghz house phone,DirecTV HD H-20 receiver for caller ID and PPV movies.

MJ is running on a small dedicated HP computer and the best part of it all Smile Smile IT WORKS Smile Smile
boa
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Cable or DSL Reply with quote

What type of Broadband are you guys using?
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable 7MB with Motorola "Surfboard" modem.
caudill22
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable, Time Warner Road Runner, 15 Mbps down and up to 768 kbps up.
boa
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: MJ over house wiring with DSL Reply with quote

I thought so. Most believe that they cannot have MJ all over the house if they have DSL on the phone line. They can! There are two rewiring solutions and neither of them are hard to do. I may post or take a poll to determine how many members might be interested.
caudill22
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the trick may be that all of my phones are self-powered (plug into ac outlet), therefore no power is drawn from the phone line. I have 12 phones plugged in throughout the house without any problems, again they're all self powered.
dpstimpert
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my phones are A/C powered too, but have an REN of 1.4. If I even plug ONE in, upon an in-coming call, all the phone go dead. Is the trick to look for A/C powered phones which all together total less than 1B REN? Sheesh. This SHOULD be working on in-coming calls.
caudill22
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked my phone specs (RCA 25414 model) and it says the REN is 0.0B, that may explain why I can have 12 phones running without any problems. If your phone REN is 1.4, then I am sure that is the problem. Hope this helps.
[email protected]
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Received magicJack / Whole House Wiring Reply with quote

caudill22 wrote:
I just received my MagicJack and plugged into my house telephone wiring, just like I had prviously used Vonage, and it works fine supplying dial tone throughout the house. I had read that it might be possible and it was important to me to have the dial tone throughout my home just like a landline, so I took a shot and ordered magiJack to find that it does work. I just thought I would share my experience with others in case it is something they are wondering about.

By the way, so far the sound quality is as good as Vonage. We'll see how it works out in the coming months.
[font=Arial Black:b6fa96eb9c] [/font:b6fa96eb9c]

Do you have a thin client connected? I'm about to order my MJ and I was told that a thin client helps out alot.
Thanks
caudill22
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not using a thin client. I was about to order one from eBay for about $100 until I read this thread:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack-set-to-become-my-primary-home-telephone-service-t1842.html

Apparently the thin client route takes a lot of maintenance, not really what I had in mind. Instead, I am using a very small Dell desktop unit without the monitor or keyboard. I keep it stord inside a cabinet with my router, switch, UPS and ATA so it is out of sight. I RDC the small unit from my normal desktop unit if I need to check on it. To be honest, it runs trouble free. I do have magicJack running as a service so that if power failure occurs magicJack with run without the need for anyone to login to the OS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: