magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incoming calls only work shortly after making outgoing call

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojomba
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Incoming calls only work shortly after making outgoing call Reply with quote

I installed MJ+ last week and have noticed that I can receive incoming calls only if I make an outgoing call first. I am not certain what the time limit is but my last attempt I gave it 20 minutes since my last successful call and the incoming call would not work.

When I call in I get the generic voicemail message "Magicjack customer you have called is unavailable..."

My routers outside IP address is not a static IP but is not changing in this time frame.
The MJ+ unit is not losing power.

It appears to me that my MJ+ is losing its registration somewhere and is assumed to be turned off. Or I am missing something very basic in my setup.

Any ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all likelihood your router is losing its connection with the MJ+, especially if you've got the Plus connected directly to the router via Ethernet. If it's connected directly, you'll probably need to go into your router's settings and clean them up. #1 is to make sure that you've set the router to keep the IP address assigned to the MJ+ a *permanent* IP address assignment... PERIOD. If you do this & the problem persists, then you'll need to check out all of your router's other settings as well - ex: see if SIP Alg is enabled... if it is, try disabling it and see if that takes care of it. There are many other settings to check out too, but they often vary from one router model to another so you'll have to go through each one (AFTER checking for any available firmware updates for your router) and make sure that each one makes sense given that you can't allow the router to keep changing the MJ's IP address or otherwise lose its connection with it.

ALSO, do NOT use the crappy Ethernet ribbon cable that came with the MJ+ - use a normal, DECENT one because it DOES make a difference. And be sure to power the MJ+ *before* you connect it to the router. I also recommend that after you power up the MJ+ you first plug the (good) Ethernet cable into the MJ+ and THEN plug the *other* end of the Ethernet cable into an Ethernet LAN jack on the router (while the router is already powered up).

Lastly, do not power the MJ+ via any sort of USB hub... either plug it directly into a USB port on a pc (using the supplied USB extension cable if absolutely necessary) or use its AC adapter.
radzkillah
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
do NOT use the crappy Ethernet ribbon cable that came with the MJ+ -

Laughing China ware -- every ware
mojomba
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SteveHC. After working with support we were able to identify that the problem is a firewall configuration issue on my router. (for some reason I could not find this thread again to update it) Unfortunately although I forwarded the ports they suggested to the MJ+ the problem persisted. I ended up setting the MJ+ IP (It is static now) as the DMZ host server and it works well now. I don't want it to always be the DMZ Server so I will use your advice to work on the permanent solution.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, some routers' firewalls can be a REAL pain when it comes to VOIP. MagicJack devices are designed to open the router ports that it needs *automatically*, so problems arise when a router's firewall and port-related settings are set so as to essentially override whatever the MagicJack tells it to do... in those cases the temporary (*I* call it temporary, anyway) fix is to manually open the necessary ports and/or keep the MagicJack in a DMZ, but the more permanent fix is to delete or otherwise nullify the router's relevant settings. More specifically, many manufacturers ship their routers with "default" port forwarding, port triggering, and/or voip (or other) pre-configured "QoS" settings - which usually need to be *deleted* or otherwise disabled in order for devices like MagicJacks to work properly.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: