magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incoming calls drop after 30 seconds - Pending ACK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tDogEast
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

I am sure you are correct in your assertions, but with the software load on the linksys router, I don't know how to view the port mappings from the router's point of view.

All I know is that mapping the port as I described from the router to the MJ PC cures the problem. Another thing that I do know is that the MJ server is sending an acknowledge request to my router IP address on the WAN port using destination port UDP 62427 in this case. Manually forwarding this port (and this port only - I have to forward no other ports) fixes the ACK problem.

Toby
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tDogEast wrote:
I am sure you are correct in your assertions, but with the software load on the linksys router, I don't know how to view the port mappings from the router's point of view.

Toby, Sorry. I didn't want to take away from your discovery. Now that I understand it better it sounds ingenious. It was only hard for me to understand because:

1. I don't have the Linksys firmware problem. I can't test it, or may not be seeing the same network activity you do (especially if some Linksys firmware gets confused, translating traffic incorrectly, routing it differently, or whatever).

2. In the context of how people usually speak of opening ports, and port forwarding, it was confusing to me (and I was concerned it might confuse others about what's normally *not* required for opening ports). But, it sounds like what you're really doing is forwarding internal router ports to internal software ports. Like, some Linksys firmware gets confused and needs internal ports to be treated like external ports.

I encourage you to work with the next person who posts with symptoms of a Linksys router and confirm that it works. If you don't read the forum religiously, I'll PM you when I see someone. I'd like to post your solution to the wiki as a solution. I'd just like to confirm that it works, and better depict what the solution is (that it's not really dealing with external traffic).

My concern was that people don't get confused about how the network activity works between the softphone and MJ servers (described in the background section here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack/Support_Resources/How-To/Proxy_Find).

MJ's network activity (LAN to WAN) works as described there. What you were describing was the local computer port to the router's LAN port, and that treating it as a LAN-to-WAN connection seems to fix whatever the problem is with some Linksys firmware.

So, it sounds like an ingenious solution. I'd like to see someone else affected by the Linksys firmware problem confirm it. And, I just wanted to avoid confusion (I was confused) about the network activity you described.

BTW: You can see the LAN to WAN port usage with Wireshark. For example, when starting MJ it makes a SIP connection to an MJ "proxy1" server on its port 5070. That connection will be identified as SIP (protocol) in the Wireshark capture. Click one of those lines, and you'll see some expandable sections in the middle pane. One says "Internet Protocol." Another says "User Datagram Protocol." The first one shows the WAN and LAN IP addresses. The second one shows the WAN and LAN ports.

Mark
tDogEast
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

I assure you that my only goal is through my limited understanding was to get my MJ to work reliably. I am sure that my incompete explanation (which stems from my incomplete understanding) is the cause of your confusion.

Here is an example of the packet that is dropped by my router that causes the failure of the incoming connection to be acknowledged.

In this case the destination IP is my routers WAN port (98.200.60.166). Notice that the source port is UDP 5070 and the destination is UDP 51210. As you can see, my router is dropping this transmission.

Again, I can't say that I know what this means, but TCPView show that the MJ applicaiton is open and listening to UDP Port 51210 on both IP address 10.1.1.50 as well as on the loopback 127.0.0.1.

I simply made the connection between the session that was being dropped and the ports that MJ was listening to on my local PC. Given that, I made an entry into my routers IP Forwarding table to allow all communication on UDP port 51210 to be forwarded to my MJ PC at 10.1.1.50.

What happens in between is beyond my understanding at this point, and if you have the time and patience I would like to understand. If I could then maybe I could communicate to Cisco/Linksys what is going wrong in their latest router code!

It sounds like pshiffe1 has the exact same router and problem that I do. I would be interested in his/her input as to whether this works!

Thanks for you time and interest in this!

Toby

klogd: DROP IN=vlan2 OUT= MAC=00:21:29:c7:a5:39:00:13:5f:05:bf:05:08:00 SRC=67.88.84.6 DST=98.200.60.166 LEN=486 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x20 TTL=48 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5070 DPT=51210 LEN=466
swierzycki
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: WRT610 Reply with quote

Thanks Toby.
I've got the WRT610 and was having the same problem. I saw that the DD-WRT firmware for this router is still in the early stages of testing so I didn't want to mess with it.
I tryed you're suggestion of forwarding the port (55222 for me this time) and it worked.

Scott
Lresidence
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should contact livechat and tell them about your issue. You must be getting the message "Pending ACK" on your softphone when it drops. That is a routing issue on their end. Otherwise you need to try using different router
GreyGhost
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: WRT610N tDogEast fix Reply with quote

tDogEast.

I have had the exact same problem. I have WRT610N on XP so the problem clearly seems to be the Linksys router. I did as you stated and the problem has disappeared. But clearly this identifies the problem and hopefully a longterm solution can be found. Waiting to see DD-WRT solution maybe.

GreyGhost
tDogEast
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: WRT610N TDogEast Fix Reply with quote

I am glad the fix worked for you. I too will probably try the DD-WRT code when it is through testing. For now, I have gotten my MJ to run on my Windows Home Server, which I leave on all of the time. Since it is rarely rebooted, I don't have to reconfigure the router very often.

Cheers!

Toby
GreyGhost
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: WRT610N and DD-WRT Reply with quote

Had the same problem with the Pending ACK. I went ahead and flashed the WT610N with dd-wrt.v24-11762_mega-wrt610n.bin. Everything is working great. I even think the performance of the router is better but need to get tools that prove this. I did use the newest build of the dd-wrt because I found that this build had work for several people. When I feel brave I'll try the latest build.
QuickShot
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: 30 sec. disconnect (Pending ACK) problem solved Reply with quote

I was having the same problem with the Pending ACK dropping incoming calls at 32 seconds. Just like everyone else, it turned out to be my Linksys router. Model WRT54GS, Version 1.1 (an old one). Upgrading to the latest Linksys firmware did not help the problem.

So I went to the dd-wrt.com website, downloaded their firmware file:

dd-wrt.v24_voip_generic.bin

It installed on the first try with no problem. Now there's no more disconnected calls and everything else on the router works, maybe even a little better than before. Many thanks to the people at dd-wrt.com!!
tDogEast
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Permanent Solution (For Me) Reply with quote

Linksys has finally posted new firmware for the WRT610N. This fixes the MagicJack Pending ACK problem for this router.

The new firmware lets you turn OFF (Disable) SIP ALG. The SIP application layer gateway was included in the original code, but since MJ implemented it's own methodology for dealing with SIP behind a NAT router, the ALG in the router did nothing but interfere.

Simply go to the Administration tab in the router's web interface under advance features and DISABLE SIP ALG.

After I did this, no more problems. I also no longer have to port forward 5060 and 5070. Everything is working as it should for now (only took Cisco 6 months to fix!).
darthyahya
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL I DID AFTER HOURS OF DEALING WITH LIVE HELP AND FORUMS SEARCHES IS THIS:
WENT TO APPLICATIONS AND GAMING TAB OF MY LINKSYS WRT54GS AND INPUT
MAGICJACK [NAME OF APPLICATION]: START 62427 to END 62427 Both [TCP UDP] 192.168.1.11 [ADDRESS OF PC] AND CHECKED THE ENABLE BOX. SCROLLED DOWN AND CLICKED SAVED AND NO MORE DROPPED CALLS.

I COULD ALWAYS MAKE OUTGOING CALLS WITH MJ NOI PROBLEM BUT EVERY INCMING CALL FROM EVERY DIFFERENT PHONE I TRIED DROPPED THE CALL AFTER 30 SECONDS. I PLUGGED UP 5 DIFFERENT CORDED AND CORDLESS PHONES AND LOST EVEN MORE HAIR ON MY ALREADY BALDING HEAD. BELIEVE ME I TRIED EVERYTHING. BUT THIS WORKS FOR ME. AMEN
edenkers
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Permanent Solution (For Me) Reply with quote

tDogEast wrote:
Linksys has finally posted new firmware for the WRT610N. This fixes the MagicJack Pending ACK problem for this router.

The new firmware lets you turn OFF (Disable) SIP ALG. The SIP application layer gateway was included in the original code, but since MJ implemented it's own methodology for dealing with SIP behind a NAT router, the ALG in the router did nothing but interfere.

Simply go to the Administration tab in the router's web interface under advance features and DISABLE SIP ALG.

After I did this, no more problems. I also no longer have to port forward 5060 and 5070. Everything is working as it should for now (only took Cisco 6 months to fix!).

This solved the problem for me! Razz

And I too did not have to do any port forwarding on 5060 or 5070.

Thanks tDogEast for this discovery and more importantly, posting the find on the forum Exclamation
Count_to_30
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: ...it worked for me Reply with quote

...thanks guys, especially tDogEast and az2008...!

I have a Linksys WRT54GL and upgraded the firmware from ver. 4.30.12 to ver.4.30.13 with no change in being dropped after 30 seconds.

I then followed the directions in tDogEast's post and WHAM...! it worked like a charm.... port 51320 (I know it will change when I reboot or restart MagicJack)

I have 4 MagicJacks in the house running on 4 separate computers, so my work is cut-out for me. Maybe later I will flash my Linksys router with Tomato or WRT to make my life easier... but for now all of the universe is in balance...!

BTW... I tried twice to get help form MagicJack Chat without success. Actually after my fiasco today with Irish (you all know that they use fake names...doh!) I almost threw all 4 into the trash... only Comcast online help is worse and I have to pay to get abused by them....!

I am rambling, sorry.... thanks again guys, please know that your time on this board is much appreciated by us MJ Newbies...![/b]
mabraham33
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: magicjack Reply with quote

I have the same problem with the WRT54GL router. I get dropped calls everytime. what can I do? I dont understand what to do for tdogs post? please explain it to me.
Count_to_30
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Not Sure My Message Was Sent... So I Posted It Reply with quote

: Count_to_30
To: mabraham33
Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:10 am
Subject: Re: magicjack
I will attempt to walk-you thru this... please do not be offended if I seem to over-simplify:

------------
PART ONE
------------
1.) In windows click the lower-left START button
2.) ...then click on the ...RUN item ( a pop-up box will pop-up)
3.) at the Open: space type "cmd" (without the quotes)
4.) hit OK (this brings up a DOS command-line terminal...)

---------------
PART TWO
---------------
1.) at the command prompt > type "netstat -an" (without the quotes)
2.) hit the return button
3.) a chart called "Active Connections" will appear

----------------------
PART THREE
----------------------
1.) the first column (reading left-to-right) is PROTO
2.) two types of protocols appear: TCP and UDP
3.) the second column (Local Address) reads: "ip_address:port_number"
4.) look for a line having these 3 values:
1... UDP (that's easy)
2... 127.0.0.1 (that's a little more difficult)
3... a port number between 40,000 and 65,000 (that's tough)
5.) EXAMPLE
UDP 127.0.0.1:58228 *.*

--------------------------
PART FOUR
--------------------------
1.) look for a matching line with the same "UDP, the same port_numeber,
but a different ip_address
UDP 192.168.1.7:58228 *.*
2.) the different ip_number is the ip address of your MagicJack unit

----------------------------
PART FIVE
----------------------------
I am assumng that you know how to forward ports in your Linksys Router:
1.) open the admin page of your Linksys router and allow the port_number
(per the example 58228, yours will be different) to be forwarded to the ip_address of the MagicJack unit (per the example 192.168.1.7, yours will be different).

EXAMPLE:

GIVE-IT-A-NAME 58228 58228 192.168.1.7 (Check-box)

---------------------------
PART SIX
---------------------------
Close down all the windows and enjoy...!

-------------------------
PART SEVEN
-------------------------
Remember EACH TIME YOU REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER. YOU NEED TO REPEAT THIS PROCESS.....! the computer re-assigns a different port_number to the MagicJack unit.

Please let me know how it works for you... I had some sound quality issues afterwards and suspect that its just noise on my ISP line coming into my house.... thanks!
Count_to_30
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: You Say Tomato, I Say PF... Reply with quote

Okay.... follow-up....!

After success using tDogEast's discovery, I got brave and flashed my Linksys WRT54GL router with Tomato.... successfully. No dropped calls, no MJ problems... just bad audio quality that I don't believe to be an MJ issue.

However, I did not find the Tomato software as easy or flexible as the original Linksys so I switched back and continued to forward ports. My theory on routers is that they should be set and forgotten... Tomato is more fo the guy who wants to tinker with eerything... but that's just my opinion.

Finally, after hearing about the golden benefits of PF packet filtering software, I took an old Pentium 4 box and installed FreeBSD 7.0 with PF and set it in-line as a router... works great and is REALLY simple to maintain. Basically it blocks everything coming in (firewall) and allows anything out from my LAN with return privileges... if it didn't orginate from within my network it gets dropped...! MJ works great...!

My only issues now are Windowz related and I am smacking them down one-by-one with the help of the posts on this forum.

Also, for what it's worth, of my 4 MagicJacks, I am successfully using one on Linux with a VMware/WindowsXP guest operating system.

Thanks...!
mabraham33
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: magicjack Reply with quote

Count_to_30
that worked perfect. have no more dropped calls. I just wont reboot my computer and will not have the change the info. again thanks for your help.
mabraham33
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: caller id Reply with quote

now just need to get the caller ID working. got a powered hub but when I call it disconnects me. what is the best one to buy or easiest way to get it? I hoop the magicjack into my cable box so it will goto all my phones. any ideas?
mabraham33
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: port Reply with quote

I have done the thing to do the port forwarding but I notice I do not reboot my laptop and the number changes all the time. anyone help with this?
barrychap
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Incoming call 30 second drop using Linksys WRT610N router Reply with quote

This was a relatively easy fix for me, thanks to this forum and tDogEast post of 9/8/2009. I downloaded the latest firmware (1.00.03.15) which lets you disable SIP ALG. I logged into the router, upgraded the firmware, disabled SIP ALG, hit the save button, and it works fine. I did not have to reset the router or re-enter my configuration.
kharma25
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you SOOOOO much Count_To_30!!!!!! I was about ready to pull my hair out with this MagicJack. Every incoming call was dropped soon after receiving it, and I was about to totally give up on MagicJack. After about 2 hours of research, I found this post and tried it. Now it works PERFECTLY!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
kuhntech
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems strange to me that some people have issues with ports needing to be opened. I have the firewall on my dsl modem/router fully intact and I have yet to have a single issue with my mj and it's been 6 months. I have the windows software firewall disabled. Maybe that's part of it?? Who knows...phone for $20 a year is bound to have it's little quirks but I'm in it till the end!
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuhntech wrote:
It seems strange to me that some people have issues with ports needing to be opened. I have the firewall on my dsl modem/router fully intact and I have yet to have a single issue with my mj and it's been 6 months. I have the windows software firewall disabled. Maybe that's part of it?? Who knows...phone for $20 a year is bound to have it's little quirks but I'm in it till the end!

The need for opening ports is not related specifically to MJ, but to VOIP technology in general.
Opening ports or not is entirely dependent on the nature of the router and/or internal firewall deployed. Once you experience one-way or non-existent audio, port forwarding and/or use of a stun server is the only solution.

Try to see the world beyond your limited horizon and you will realize there are millions of potential pitfalls that may impact on the MJ device which is so dependent on the black art of USB I/O interaction as to be laughable.
I think it is a true credit to the tigerjet folks who originally made this pile of kludges work at all.
Senator
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I just wanted to contribute my findings on getting the mj to work. Mine were working fine for months then all of a suden the sound would cut out when the mj was in active mode. I wasted many hours with their so called on line chat support agents. They have no idea how the mj really works and just go over the same scripts again and again expecting a different outcome. I am positive it was one of their "updates" that caused this to happen - "Lucky Us" right !! I finally turned to this forum for insite and answers and found the issue is with the ports the mj uses. Using Active Ports, I found the mj uses many different ramdom ports when starting up and different ports when in active mode. When it loads up, it randomly uses 4 ports in the 1000 range and 1 port anywhere between 49,000 to 65,000. Then when a call is placed or received, it switches 2 of the low number ports to a random high number port. Each time the mj is restarted, the low number ports are changed. Each time a call is placed or received, it opens random high number ports. It never uses the same ports !! Such an application is a nightmare for Network Admins because you have to turn off your firewall to get the mj to work consistantly and turning off the firewall for the network is not the answer. So I took one of my computers, wiped it and reinstalled XP and gave it a static IP and public DNS settings. Then I went into the router and put it in a DMZ zone and bypassed the firewall for that computer only. This seems to be the only way to get the mj to work consistantly. This is a terible design flaw if you ask me, but worth the trouble for all the money it saves in the long run. This may fix a lot of issues people are having with their mj....
ydkjman
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: WRT54GS Reply with quote

I have recently upgraded to the newest firmwar on my WRT54GS router
v7.50.8 build 001

And if any one has this router and has gotten your Magic Jack to work with out loosing your internet will you please let me know how you did it. I have read that people are able to go in and Disable the SIP ALG but when I go in looking for those options in my router set up I just don't see those options.
tomquinnta
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issues with incoming calls. But for some of our outgoing calls we get the ACK pending message flashing on the MJ dashboard after the call is answered. After 5 seconds or so the call drops. Up to whenthe call drops both us (caller) and the receiver can not decipher audio.

Is this something that can be addressed on my end? The router / modem setup is adminstered by Cable MAS - Cozumel, Mexico. Our MJ number is registered as a US based number. The modem model is UBEE U10C022.

When the MJ works we have a seamless call. But we are hitting too many problem numbers.

Appreciate any help available on this issue. Otherwise we are left having to pay for international calling.

Thanks

Tom
intor1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Permanent Solution (For Me) Reply with quote

tDogEast solution worked for Pending ACK [error 3] issue that disconnected outgoing MJ calls to cell phones on AT&T (iPhones actually).

New firmware FW_WRT610N_1.00.03.15_20090514 allowed the SIP ALG to be disabled, and, as promised, now talking long and strong to cells.

Thanks much tDogEast. An elegant solution compared to port forwarding with every reboot.

tDogEast wrote:

User919
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: same problem with recorded message on incoming calls Reply with quote

When I call my MJ phone using my cell phone I get the same message ("You have reached YMAX Communications test number. This call was successful."). And everyone who tries to call me, gets this same recorded message. My MJ phone doesn't even ring. I have no problem with outgoing calls; it's just incoming calls that don't come through.

Anyway, I have a Time Warner router/modem combo. The brand is "ubee". Any suggestions? KIS please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: