magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I can hear the people I'm calling, they can't hear me at all

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeTampa
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: I can hear the people I'm calling, they can't hear me at all Reply with quote

I installed my parents Magic Jack for them last night. The first few phone calls this morning worked just fine, however, that came to an end in the afternoon.

People on the other end of the phone can't hear me speaking. I can hear them just fine.

I'm getting consistent complaints of heavy static which converts my speech into unintelligible, choppy audio as far as people trying to hear me goes.

This is for both incoming and outgoing calls. It started as an outgoing thing, with incoming calls now being tainted by the MagicJack Static Goblin.

Some calls the person on the other end can't even begin to make heads or tails as to what I'm saying. And like I said before, if the person on the other end CAN hear, it's barely audible due to choppy, static laden audio.

I'm using Windows XP. I've rebooted once or twice and it seemed to bring things back to normal sound quality for the first one or two calls after rebooting.

I really am trying to NOT have to reboot my computer every time I want to make a phone call.....

Any help/feedback/input is greatly appreciated.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things things:

1) Have you played with the audio settings on the advanced menu? They should be only 1/3 of the way up but you might need to adjust them for your particular setup.

2) Have you tried disconnecting the phone from the MJ and making calls from the softphone using a headset or just a microphone? Try it and see if there is any difference.

3) Have you tried using another phone? If you scan this forum you'll see that users have had a large variety of success/failure with various phones. Some cordless phones work great and some don't work at all. Most corded phones work w/o any problems. If you're using a cordless phone, try swapping to a corded phone and see if that makes a difference. Also if you have another cordless phone (different make/model) you might try that too.
urbannight
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: The called party unable to hear me, but I can hear them Reply with quote

When I first received Magic Jack, I was able to make long distance calls. Now the called parties cannot hear me, but I can hear them. I've even used a corded phone to no avail. I thought I had escaped AT&T...
WarlockWeary
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: The called party unable to hear me, but I can hear them Reply with quote

urbannight wrote:
When I first received Magic Jack, I was able to make long distance calls. Now the called parties cannot hear me, but I can hear them. I've even used a corded phone to no avail. I thought I had escaped AT&T...

1) Have you played with the audio settings on the advanced menu? They should be only 1/3 of the way up but you might need to adjust them for your particular setup.

2) Have you tried disconnecting the phone from the MJ and making calls from the softphone using a headset or just a microphone? Try it and see if there is any difference.

3) Have you tried using another phone? If you scan this forum you'll see that users have had a large variety of success/failure with various phones. Some cordless phones work great and some don't work at all. Most corded phones work w/o any problems. If you're using a cordless phone, try swapping to a corded phone and see if that makes a difference. Also if you have another cordless phone (different make/model) you might try that too.

4) Update Your Softwear: http://www.magicjack.com/2/magicfix.asp

5) Try disabling the power management feature in each of the USB root hubs on your computer. For Windows XP go into the device manager for hardware and find the USB controller and hit the + sign to expand the listing. Under each USB root hub right click and pull up properties...Find the power management option and uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Again make sure you do this for each of the USB root hubs listed.

6) Try a POWERED USB HUB ? ( Sometimes this helps )

1) Open Ports on your router ?
2) Open Ports In Windows Firewall ?
3) magicJack uses port 5060 and 5070 UDP.

1) A quality high-speed Internet connection will ensure a clear voice quality.
If you are experiencing an audio issue not related to your Internet connection:
Please try connecting your magicJack to a different USB port and try again

2) If that does not work:
Please turn of your modem and router (if you are using one) for 3 minutes. Then turn them back on again. Now unplug your magicJack and plug back it back in. After it starts up again, try to make a phone call.

3) If that does not work:
Please try using a different phone with your magicJack

4) If that does not work:
Right click on My Computer
Click Properties
Click the Advanced Tab
Under Performance, click Settings
Click the Advanced tab
Under Processor Scheduling, check the round button called Background Services
Click Apply
Click OK
Click OK again.
Now restart your magicJack and try a couple of calls to see if the quality improves.

5) If that does not work:
Please make sure that you have a good Ethernet cable connected from either your router/modem to your computer or from your modem to your router. Although some low priced Ethernet cables can handle Internet connections without any issues, they might affect the quality of your phone calls.

6) If that does not work:
If you are using the optional USB cord, please try without it.

Please try the following steps carefully:
1. Right click on "my computer" then select "Properties".
2. Click the "Advanced Tab"
3. You will see a something called "Performance" click on the "Settings" button there.
4. Now click the "Advanced" Tab in there as well.
5. Now you will see something called "Processor Scheduling". There check the round button called "Background Services"
6. Now click "Apply" and then "OK"
7. Click "OK" again.
Now restart your magicJack and try a couple of calls to see if the quality improves.

Please try the following steps carefully:
1. Click on Start tab, open your Control Panel and double click on Internet Options.
2. On Internet Properties window, click on Privacy tab, slide the bar down to "allow all cookies"
3. Under Security tab click on "trusted sites" then click the "sites" button
4. Uncheck the box at bottom left of window that says "require server verification..."
5. Type the following address into the text bar.. http://reg.talk4free.com click the "add" button.. Now type in the following address.. http://my.magicjack.com and click "add".
6. Unplug your magicJack and plug it back into a different usb port.

Please go to My computer and locate the drive named Vista Only, Phone, or removable disk (make sure it is the magicJack drive). Right click that drive, click format, and click start. Unplug magicJack, wait 15 seconds, and plug magicJack back in. You will need to download the magicJack upgrade again.
http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe

If None of the above works ...

Sounds Like you will have to email : Dan Borislow - [email protected]
In the Subject use: I Need Help !
( Seems To Trigger a Auto Forward To Tech Support )
Tell Them you have tried everything on this list and then Ask to be moved to a better / Less used server!
Give it a try worked for me Smile

I will update as more stuff comes from this tech ...
wtn928
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Try restart in Menu->Advanced user->restart Reply with quote

I have the same problem, after chatting with an agent online, the problem is solved. Hope this help you.

Try restart.
Menu->Advanced user->restart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: