magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to rid of annoying "beep" sound??!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
30secs
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: How to rid of annoying "beep" sound??!! Reply with quote

It's been bothering me ever since i got MJ. Whenever i talk on the phone, i hear this annoying beeping sound every several minutes or so. I installed MJblock, disabled the PC sounds (via article found on google) but nothing fixed it.

Fellow MJ's -- are you having the same issue? What can i do to fix this?
dadou
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try an other phone
30secs
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dadou wrote:
try an other phone

It happened with two chordless phone systems.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How to rid of annoying "beep" sound??!! Reply with quote

30secs wrote:
It's been bothering me ever since i got MJ. Whenever i talk on the phone, i hear this annoying beeping sound every several minutes or so. I installed MJblock, disabled the PC sounds (via article found on google) but nothing fixed it.

What kind of beep, touch tone, Navigation start, Navigation complete, or something else.

You don't have to turn windows sounds off jut navigation start and complete.

If it is a touch tone are you talking to someone else on a MagicJack?
30secs
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How to rid of annoying "beep" sound??!! Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
30secs wrote:

What kind of beep, touch tone, Navigation start, Navigation complete, or something else.

You don't have to turn windows sounds off jut navigation start and complete.

If it is a touch tone are you talking to someone else on a MagicJack?

its the "click" or the sound you hear on when you press a number on the softphone only i hear it on my phone while i talk.

here are other users that have the same issue:

How to disable magicJack click sound - tried this but it did not work
http://pittrap.blogspot.com/2008/03/so-you-just-got-magicjack-and-now-you.html

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19992316-Magicjack-click

"I notice however that I keep hearing this "click" sound through my speakers. Come to find out, it's the MJ software (or hardware as it's coming from the device) that has a little window in it advertising itself. "Tell your friends about MJ" etc. Very annoying."
http://www.techimo.com/forum/general-tech-discussion/215054-magicjack-will-kick-you-nuts.html

How to disable magicJack click sound - tried this but it did not work
http://pittrap.blogspot.com/2008/03/so-you-just-got-magicjack-and-now-you.html
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30secs,

Yes that is usually the case "navigate start or complete". A couple of things that would be nice to know and if you already stated them I apologize for asking again.

1. Are you on a phone or headset.?
2. Are you talking to someone else on an MJ or does this happen with everyone and do the people on the other end hear it also?
3. Now please don't get upset, did you turn the Navigation complete beep off also? There are two start and complete.

PS - I am using a March 8th MJ hardware version on a thin client. I leave the beep on because it is a very unobtrusive little beep in the corner of the room that lets me know that MJ is up and working on a system with no monitor. But I do not hear it in my telephone only the thin client's internal speaker. Do you know if you have a unit purchased prior to March 8th of this year?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
Yes that is usually the case "navigate start or complete".

I haven't used an analog phone connected to the MJ USB device. Does it pass through computer sounds? I thought I only heard those because I'm using a headset plugged into the mic/speaker outputs?

Mark
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

az2008 wrote:
HolmanGT wrote:
Yes that is usually the case "navigate start or complete".

I haven't used an analog phone connected to the MJ USB device. Does it pass through computer sounds? I thought I only heard those because I'm using a headset plugged into the mic/speaker outputs?

Mark

Mark,

To the best of my knowledge it only happens if you are using a Mic/Headset. I have my navigate beeps on. I do not hear them thru a telephone plugged into my MJ but they do play in the thin client speaker. As I said before I have turned them off and it eliminates the click sound, but I like the sound every now and then from my thin client speaker as a notification that my thin client is up and running.

The reason I asked 30secs if he was talking to a person that was also on a MagicJack is my Daughter has a pre March 8th unit and sometimes when talking to her I hear touch tones. she claims she is not hitting any buttons and she does not hear the touch tones. Now that I think about it she also told me she gets complaints from others that are not using MagicJack wanting to know why she keeps pressing buttons on her phone.
30secs
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
30secs,

1. Are you on a phone or headset.?
2. Are you talking to someone else on an MJ or does this happen with everyone and do the people on the other end hear it also?
3. Now please don't get upset, did you turn the Navigation complete beep off also? There are two start and complete.

PS - I am using a March 8th MJ hardware version on a thin client. I leave the beep on because it is a very unobtrusive little beep in the corner of the room that lets me know that MJ is up and working on a system with no monitor. But I do not hear it in my telephone only the thin client's internal speaker. Do you know if you have a unit purchased prior to March 8th of this year?

1. I'm using a cordless vtech phone
2. Happens with regular numbers and cell phones, i hear it they dont. a few times they heard it and i didn't. Today i noticed it happened evry few seconds when i was talking to a person using VOIP.
3. I disabled all computer sounds -- "Sound Scheme: No sounds". Still doesn't fix the problem.

I have the new MJ hardware. Softphone is set to "phone". I would really like to get this reslved because it hurts my ear.
30secs
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, i don't mean the "click" sound, but a "BEEEEP" sound as if i was pressing the numbers key. This happens intermediately while i'm talking to other people. Some say it is the ad "click" that's translated as a phone key press, but like i said, even after disabling the computer sounds it still produces touch tones worse than ever.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30secs wrote:
By the way, i don't mean the "click" sound, but a "BEEEEP" sound as if i was pressing the numbers key. This happens intermediately while i'm talking to other people. Some say it is the ad "click" that's translated as a phone key press, but like i said, even after disabling the computer sounds it still produces touch tones worse than ever.

30secs,

Boy it sure is taking forever to get to the truth of this. OK - Touch Tones, a known problem and very poorly documented and seldom even mentioned.

As I said earlier my daughters MJ does this all the time. She does not hear it but I do.

Is it the same on your system the person you are talking to hears it, you hear it or both?

Actually I am no just curious to see if it is the same problem my daughter has because I sure as hell don't have a fix for it.

I am very suspicious that it is peculiar to older hardware model MJ devices. If yours proves to be a pre March 8th unit, one with out the white rectangle visible thru the front Plexiglas then it is going to add to my suspicions.

My daughter just move and will have her Broad Band back up tomorrow, if she still has the touch tone (beeps - whatever) I will send her a new one hot off the MagicJack presses. If that cures the problem I will most definitely let you know.

I would like to ask just a couple more questions besides the age of your unit what kind of machine are you running on. My daughters is running on a thin client. I don't know if that could have anything to do with this bizarre problem or not. I never thought to ask her to try it on her regular computer. My sister also uses MJ but on a regular computer (too lazy to hook up the thin client I sent her) we talk so seldom that I don't remember every hearing the problem with her system but her unit is the same vintage as my daughters.

Anyway I don't at the moment have any helpful suggestions but keeping this topic alive may draw in some one that has discovered some come cause and solution.

Regards,
30secs
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT -- I appologize for not being clearer.

As i said in the post before, i hear it, others don't. I also have the post March MJ hardware.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30secs wrote:
HolmanGT -- I appologize for not being clearer.

As i said in the post before, i hear it, others don't. I also have the post March MJ hardware.

And I will return the apology for not catching what you said. Now this puts a whole new wrinkle in the equation.

You hear it when you call other people I only her it from my daughters machine. And before your mind goes where I know it is going my daughter gets complaints from everyone she calls, they all as her why in the heck does she keep pressing buttons.

Well now I am at least very sure I don't have a clue what causes it.

1. MJ hardware version = NO.
2. Particular equipment = most likely not.
3. Thin Client = Apparently not.
4. Well I don't have a number four yet but I will keep trying.

Now check this desperation thought. I have even gone as far as to say to myself what if there was some tonal qualities in my daughters voice that triggers the server to send out what it thought was a touch tone.

Yes, yes, I know desperation it the mother of insanity but I never claimed to be playing with a full deck Rolling Eyes
30secs
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. I'm pretty sure it's not triggered by us since it happens to me at very random moments.

I thought it's related to the ad "click". Perhaps the ad refreshing generates that tonal key sound, but that's as far as i'm at since i disabled the PC's sound and it's still there. I also thought it could be when the softphone app is on the screen, but i use magicblock to auto-minimize it..... but it still makes that aweful noise. My ear will start bleeding soon.

I spoke to support about this but they're as helpful as a bunch of crows.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30secs wrote:
Haha. I'm pretty sure it's not triggered by us since it happens to me at very random moments.

I thought it's related to the ad "click". Perhaps the ad refreshing generates that tonal key sound, but that's as far as i'm at since i disabled the PC's sound and it's still there. I also thought it could be when the softphone app is on the screen, but i use magicblock to auto-minimize it..... but it still makes that aweful noise. My ear will start bleeding soon.

I spoke to support about this but they're as helpful as a bunch of crows.

Nothing seems to ever get better with tech support. Those folks and their canned answers are cast in stone. !!!

You might try an email to [email protected], I know it does not go to him but it does go to some pretty sophisticated upper level technical folks. They have been very helpful to me on a couple of occasions and when they say they will get back to you they really do.
30secs
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent him/them an email. If you could please do the same. Maybe they'll fix it if they'll hear the same complaint from a few people.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30secs wrote:
I just sent him/them an email. If you could please do the same. Maybe they'll fix it if they'll hear the same complaint from a few people.

Will do.
neo2121
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you get the beeps to every phone number you call ?
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neo2121 wrote:
do you get the beeps to every phone number you call ?

neo2121,

That was the question that I want to ask 30sec also. I get them but only when talking to my daughter she is on mJ also. But everyone she talks to heres them whether they are MJ or regular land line. ???
neo2121

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know if you buy a phone conversation recording device or a phone that has this feature. It will beep to let the other person on the other end know that you are recording. But I guessing thats not the case here. I do have a few more trouble shooting questions:

1. What processes do you have running in the background? (try killing programs durring a phone call and see if you find one causing the problem) You might also trying setting up a different user account and running magicjack under that one and see if you still get the beeps

2. Have you tried your daughters MJ on a different computer?

3. what phone model is being used?

4. Have you tired a corded phone if its a cordless ?

5. correct sound card driver?
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neo2121 wrote:
Well I know if you buy a phone conversation recording device or a phone that has this feature. It will beep to let the other person on the other end know that you are recording. But I guessing thats not the case here. I do have a few more trouble shooting questions:

1. What processes do you have running in the background? (try killing programs durring a phone call and see if you find one causing the problem) You might also trying setting up a different user account and running magicjack under that one and see if you still get the beeps

2. Have you tried your daughters MJ on a different computer?

3. what phone model is being used?

4. Have you tired a corded phone if its a cordless ?

5. correct sound card driver?

All good suggestions but for me I don't care, it is my daughters phone and I have just learned to live with it.

It is really 30secs that wants a fix, I am in the mode if some one comes up with a fix fine but I personally have put all the effort into it that I am going to.

But as directed at me - Thank You -

Regards,
neo2121

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries sorry not much help Smile
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neo2121 wrote:
no worries sorry not much help Smile

It may give 30secs an idea or two. So not a wasted effort.
30secs
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a reply from MJ:

Dear xxx,

I am Marvin and was asked by Dan to address and help out with your
issue. My apology for the inconvenience caused.
Right click on "my computer" then
select "Properties". Click the "Advanced Tab" You will see a something called "Performance" click on the "Settings" button there.
Now click the "Advanced" Tab in there as well. Now you will see something called "Processor Scheduling". There check the round button
called "Background Services" Now click "Apply" and then "OK" Click "OK" again. Now restart your magicJack and try a couple of calls to see if the quality improves.

Sincerely,
Marvin
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30secs wrote:
Got a reply from MJ:

That sounds like bad advice. You'll give priority to all your background processes. If you want to give priority to MJ, just go into Task Manager and right click the magicjack.exe process, and set the priority to High.

Mark
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30secs wrote:
Got a reply from MJ:

Dear xxx,

select "Properties". Click the "Advanced Tab" You will see a something called "Performance" click on the "Settings" button there.
Now click the "Advanced" Tab in there as well. Now you will see something called "Processor Scheduling". There check the round button
called "Background Services" Now click "Apply" and then "OK" Click "OK" again. Now restart your magicJack and try a couple of calls to see if the quality improves.

Sincerely,
Marvin

30secs,

I would love to hear what you told them the problem was. This fix they are offering has noting to do the the touch tone problem. However it will improve you audio at that expense of all you foreground programs.

I do what they have suggested on all my thin clients because I am not concerned about foreground apps. I think it is a plus item but very subjective and would be difficult to say "yup that's a winner" but I still do it anyway but only on thin clients.

Now you need to ask them how to get rid of the touch tone problem and you should probably not refer to it a a beep sound - that is enough misdirection to have them out in left field someplace.

Regards,
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

az2008 wrote:
30secs wrote:
Got a reply from MJ:

That sounds like bad advice. You'll give priority to all your background processes. If you want to give priority to MJ, just go into Task Manager and right click the magicjack.exe process, and set the priority to High.

Mark

Two thumbs up. !!!

PS -
az,

You are 100% correct about the priority but the problem is 30secs can change his application priorities until he is blue in the face and it still won't make the intermittent touch tone problem go away.

I don't know what the hell causes it but the tech guys obviously misunderstood him or he worded his complaint to sound like a Voice Quality problem. And then of course there is always the possibility that the Techs don't have a clue and are just giving him the bums-rush !!! Nah they would do that - would they. Rolling Eyes
30secs
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
30secs wrote:
Got a reply from MJ:

Dear xxx,

Sincerely,
Marvin

30secs,

I would love to hear what you told them the problem was. This fix they are offering has noting to do the the touch tone problem. However it will improve you audio at that expense of all you foreground programs.

I do what they have suggested on all my thin clients because I am not concerned about foreground apps. I think it is a plus item but very subjective and would be difficult to say "yup that's a winner" but I still do it anyway but only on thin clients.

Now you need to ask them how to get rid of the touch tone problem and you should probably not refer to it a a beep sound - that is enough misdirection to have them out in left field someplace.

To Dan or whom it may concern,

First, I have to say I have purchased your product and I love it. In fact, I purchased two other MJ's and gave them to my family. I do however have one issue I hope you can help me resolve. Whenever I talk on the phone I often hear a touch tone as if I pushed a key. Only I hear it, the other party does not. I know many other MagicJack users have the same issue. Please help fix this problem as it hurts the conversations and is detrimental to our ears.

Thank you,
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30secs wrote:
HolmanGT wrote:
30secs wrote:
Got a reply from MJ:

Dear xxx,

Sincerely,
Marvin

30secs,

To Dan or whom it may concern,

First, I have to say I have purchased your product and I love it. In fact, I purchased two other MJ's and gave them to my family. I do however have one issue I hope you can help me resolve. Whenever I talk on the phone I often hear a touch tone as if I pushed a key. Only I hear it, the other party does not. I know many other MagicJack users have the same issue. Please help fix this problem as it hurts the conversations and is detrimental to our ears.

Thank you,

Well I owe you an apology "30secs" - you couldn't have stated it more to the point if you tried.

I am amazed that they gave you such a lame answer. Hell you could have gotten that good of an answer from their Tech. Chat group. Crying or Very sad

PS - Verizon claims my Daughter's new house will be DSL provisioned in the next couple of hours. And if she still has the TT problem (that sounds dirty) I will have her try a few things and see what happens.
solarpower
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to rid of annoying "beep" sound??!! Reply with quote

30secs wrote:

I have the same issue, what I found is the thinclient has only 30 MB free space. I have another thin client with 200MB free space, it works fine. How much space is left on your drive?
30secs
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How to rid of annoying "beep" sound??!! Reply with quote

solarpower wrote:
30secs wrote:

I have the same issue, what I found is the thinclient has only 30 MB free space. I have another thin client with 200MB free space, it works fine. How much space is left on your drive?

About 70Gb....
Still have the issue. Really makes me mad.
knightflt
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: beep Reply with quote

Same problem here... I have two computers one running xp another running vista happens on both computers using the same mj dongo its about every min or so.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to rid of annoying "beep" sound??!! Reply with quote

solarpower wrote:
30secs wrote:

Solar,

I forgot all about replying to 30secs on this one. My daughter move to the other side of town and finally got her new DSL up and she is running a T5720 with at least 250 megs of free space and still has the problem. But now it is far less frequent. She also had the problem a T5710.

I have ordered her another MJ assuming that was the problem, thanks for wasting my money Mr. Solarpower. Laughing

I have a question for ya... are you DSL or Cable? My daughter is DSL. I am cable and have never had the problem, except way back when I was using the older model MJ. Now that I think of it my daughters MJ is the older model so may the new one I ordered will fix the problem.

She keeps saying she doesn't care about it, but she should live on my end of the conversation it is not bad at first but is sure does get old after a very short time. And if you are calling a business they must think you are a real jerk for continuing to press touch tone keys while having a conversation.

OK - I just got off the phone with my daughter. I had her call me and this time there were no touch tone beeps. Don't know if direction of the call has anything to do with it, probably not, just the luck of the draw.

I guess we will just have to appeal do "mozerd" or "stroths", this problem won't even give me an inkling of what direction to head in solving it. Ugh! I hate problems that do not seem to have a common thread (a little play on words) maybe we need to start a new thread to find the answer. Excuse my sick humor.

PS - Solar, my daughter had about a million questions she wanted me to ask but I will keep it to a minimum.
1. Dsl or Cable?
2. What is the difference between the machines (one work the other doesn't) Wireless on one, diff. OS or anything like that.
3. Is it only the party on the other end that heres it? It is that way on my daughters machine, she never hears a thing e.g. "never bothers me".
4. (last question) is either machine close to your wireless. I personally don't know how MJ ever got their units FCC certified. They have no shielding for all practical purposes.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: beep Reply with quote

knightflt wrote:
Same problem here... I have two computers one running xp another running vista happens on both computers using the same mj dongo its about every min or so.

knightflt,

My daughters before she moved T5710 did it every five or ten minutes, then I sent her a T5720 and the frequency did not change it really was annoying.

She moved across town (a very small town) still using the T5720 but the frequency of the tone bursts has diminished to maybe twice in a 15 minute conversation and sometimes not at all. Definitely an improvement over her last abode but still there.

PS - I am glad to see this particular problem pick up a few more people. I had mentioned it once or twice in the past and you would have thought I was asking the group to discuss their sex life (or lack of in my case). I don't think I had anyone ever post back that they had the same or similar problem. Maybe we can get this thing figured out if we can keep this thread active. Rolling Eyes
knightflt
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have since received a new second magicjack and in the process of rebuilding my computer with a fresh copy of windows xp pro when complete I will try the second mj to see if the sound is still there really am skeptical it will solve any issues. I will keep you updated.
30secs
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knightflt wrote:
I have since received a new second magicjack and in the process of rebuilding my computer with a fresh copy of windows xp pro when complete I will try the second mj to see if the sound is still there really am skeptical it will solve any issues. I will keep you updated.

I have two MJs. one purchase from QVC and other directly from the site. both have the touch-tone noise issue. GL.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knightflt wrote:

I would sure appreciate hearing how it goes. I just sent my daughter a brand new unit and she should have it by this Friday, so I will let you know how that goes.

I have my fingers crossed. Rolling Eyes
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30secs wrote:
knightflt wrote:

I have two MJs. one purchase from QVC and other directly from the site. both have the touch-tone noise issue. GL.

Did you purchase them recently 30secs?
devinmccloud
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinstalling won't help you. It's MagicJack itself that causes the beeping. I have a computer dedicated to majicjack and the annoying beeping has happened since I got the thing. It's there software/hardware that's the problem...
30secs
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
30secs wrote:
knightflt wrote:

two months ago.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30secs wrote:
HolmanGT wrote:
30secs wrote:
knightflt wrote:

two months ago.

Thanks GL, you just dashed any hope I had for the new unit I just sent to my daughter.

Do you have DSL or Cable? I am going to find something in common with different folks that have this problem if it is the last thing I ever do. I sure hope no one calls my bluff. Rolling Eyes
Magicjackernc
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am new to magicjack-less than a week.

Have a regular house phone (not cordless or anything) and just plugged it into my magicjack instead of the wall.

Last night I heard those 'beeeps' for the first time. My sister calls from a cell phone and it never happened before, but it did last night.

I just purchased the Panasonic DECT 6 phone system so many have mentioned. Haven't used it yet but....

just wanted to say to the original poster - you are not alone! It's not clicks or anything...it sounds like the person you are speaking with is accidentally pressing a touch tone button on their phone.

If you come up with a fix - let us know.

UPDATE: I got the dect 6 system and the beeps are still there. And yes-I am the only one who hears it (thank goodness).

Last edited by Magicjackernc on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tweakd my setup (dedicated t5700 Thin Client, Hawkings Broad Band Booster) on cable internet (13 Mpbs up/460 down). I get the screech sometimes, fortunately I don't think the other person hears it or they are too polite to say or maybe they think it's their end. It is loud at my end. Anyways, I'm thinking it has to do with a burst of upload or download over the Internet, timed with automatically checking email or my multitasking (me bad) and web browsing while talking to someone. Just a theory but I'll test some more. Anyone else think the beeps or screeches are related to a periodic burst of activity over the Internet connection? Alternatively, can someone debunk this theory and I move onto testing something else?
ret27m

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear it but only when talking to one paticular friend, I'm on DSL he is on CABLE, not sure who its generated from.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ret27m wrote:
I hear it but only when talking to one paticular friend, I'm on DSL he is on CABLE, not sure who its generated from.

ret27m,

I was having a similar problem with my daughters MJ as you all probably know.

1. She is DSL.
2. I am Cable.
3. Anyone she talked to would hear the touch tones especially her mother who it not Geek friendly in any way shape or form. Which is probably why we don't live together anymore, but that is a whole other story (sorry for the digression). In any case it drives her mother nutz!!!

So I have been working on getting rid of the problem for quit sometime now with little or no success. Swapping the thin client from a 5710 to a 5720 reduced the frequency of the problem. So then I bought her a new MagicJack hoping that something may have been improved int the hardware. Well she has been running it now for about 48 hours so I don't want to make any rash claims but so far no beep sounds. One other thing I have noticed so far is the increase in audio quality and the problem with the conversation not being full duplex has corrected itself.

We are now both running MJ units that were purchased in the last 15 days. Also she had been running a unit that was about a year old (pre March 8th or pre hardware echo cancellation) I was running a post March 8th unit (identified by the white rectangle on the circuit board). I think I am repeating myself but at the moment we are both running new units and I can't stress hard enough how much better the quality of our conversion are and no I don't mean I am talking about more important things Laughing

I will update this post if all the things I have said here turn out to be just a fleeting fluke.

God please don't let me have to update this post with a statement about going off half cocked. Amen.
ret27m

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend got a new MJ today, he was on a waiting list, they are hard to get in my area, bestbuy and rat shack cant get them fast enough, the one he had was borrowed, we spoke tonight and no problems. I dont know how old the borrowed unit was, hopefully its fixed with the new unit, mine is a new one also.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ret27m wrote:
My friend got a new MJ today, he was on a waiting list, they are hard to get in my area, bestbuy and rat shack cant get them fast enough, the one he had was borrowed, we spoke tonight and no problems. I dont know how old the borrowed unit was, hopefully its fixed with the new unit, mine is a new one also.

I'll keep my fingers crossed you, your friend and my daughter. In the beginning it didn't bother me too much but I'll tell you it gets old fast.

I have to find the post again, but I remember glossing over a post that told how to find the MJ hardware version and rev level. Wish I had paid more attention - these damn computers feed you so much information that now mere mortal don't stand a chance of keeping up with it, especially if you are as organized as I am - NOT. Crying or Very sad
JohnnyFreightTRAIN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem too, and I just got my magicjack recently. Like last August.

It used to be really bad, but then it went away. Sometimes it was touch tones then sometimes it was this terrible screech sound. Nobody ever heard it, it was always me who heard it.

Now it's gone, pretty much. VERY RARELY does this happen. Just the other day I heard the screech sound once and then it didn't do it again thoughout the whole conversation. It's a very odd problem that I don't understand at all. It seems to be completely random.

And, of course, this issue goes right over the heads of tech support.
Magicjackernc
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a fix for this?

Or maybe a cause?

Just switched from a corded phone to a cordless - they both do it.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magicjackernc wrote:
Anyone have a fix for this?

Or maybe a cause?

Just switched from a corded phone to a cordless - they both do it.

Magicjackernc,

In my testing you can switch phones and computers until the cows come home, never had any luck with that.

But My daughter has been on a just purchased unit for almost a week now and no touch tones from her (Yet).

In her case it was always an outgoing touch tone and only the people she was talking to would hear it.

PS - We are both running brand new (withing the month) units and our audio quality is better than I have ever heard it and no touch tones from her and full duplex conversations, what a blessing that is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: