magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FLUSH a MagicJack on Mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikAndre
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: FLUSH a MagicJack on Mac Reply with quote

After troubleshooting my MagicJack with their tech support, I corrupted my MagicJack installation on Snow Leopard. It wouldn't even start. Just load after a couple seconds and then die. After giving up on MagicJack support (I spent over 8 hours with them) and after days of research and troubleshooting on my own (I am a PC/Mac Technician), I found out what to do to completely flush a MagicJack installation on a MAC.

These steps will flush a MagicJack installation on a Mac.
This is not for the faint of heart, but hopefully I spelled it out enough to help anyone with a Mac get the installation flushed. After performing, it will be like you are plugging your MJ in for the first time. I just wish MagicJack techs knew this information.

1) Unplug your MagicJack.
Reboot your Mac too if you'd like, but it's not necessary.

2) Open Terminal, Run the following two commands:
Arrow defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
Arrow killall Finder

3) Delete a Hidden MagicJack Folder (very important)
The above commands allows you to view hidden file/folders, which is necessary for this step. Open the Users Folder, Select your User Account Folder, and delete the ".magicJack" folder. It is a hidden folder with a period (.) in front of the name. Folder location: /users/[USER]/.magicJack

4) In Terminal, Run the following six commands:
Arrow rm -rf ~/MJInstlogs
Arrow rm -rf ~/Desktop/Start\ magicJack.app
Arrow rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/magicJack
Arrow rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/magicJack
Arrow defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
Arrow killall Finder

5) Empty Trash.
All done. Now plug your MagicJack back in and it will be like you are plugging it in for the first time. It may also be helpful to plug it in directly (without the cable).

Information
The rm commands basically clear other folders that do not have any locking permissions on them. The ShowAllFiles command from step 2 and step 5 both enable/disable the ability to view hidden folders which is necessary for step 3. The killall command restarts the finder which is necessary after running the ShowAllFiles command.
shelev
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: I tried flushing... Reply with quote

Hi there, I have had problems with my Magic Jack for while now. I came across your post thanks to google! I followed your instructions using Terminal and when I plugged the mj back into my imac I noticed that there were 2 mj icons in the dock bouncing at the same time. I started to get the "downloading, please wait..." then it turns into "Warning: Please re-plug the magic jack". I don't get a soft phone anymore, just the warning. I went into the disk utility and this is what I found:

"289.8 MB YMAX magicjack Media" (with another disk underneath it called):
"disk2s0"
Mount Point : Not mounted
Partition Type : Apple_partition_scheme
Capacity : 252.4 MB (252,364,800 Bytes)

I haven't been able to use this stupid mj since the spring, when I tried to get help on their pathetic chat help they told me my wi fi was too slow. Then I came home to high speed internet and they told me the problem was on my end. I did, however let someone remotely go into my computer to help me fix the problem because I was desperate. Is there a possibility that 2 magic jacks are somehow fighting with each other? I brought my mj over to my dad's house just this past weekend and it worked perfectly on his Dell laptop. As soon as I plugged it into my mac, back to the same old error message! I hope my description makes sense to you. Thank you so much for your time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Mac All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: