magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fix for 2 issues Broken Storage and USB issue warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LisaD
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Fix for 2 issues Broken Storage and USB issue warning Reply with quote

1. With MJ still pluged in, FORMAT it.
2. DO NOT UNPLUG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after the FORMAT
3. Look on your desktop for the MJ shortcut and Click it..

It will restart and you just have to fill out the e-mail and password once more.
If you do not have a shortcut to restart MJ, look in the folders for magicjack.exe, right click and send to desktop as shortcut.

I noticed if you unplug MJ it will come up with either BROKEN STORAGE or thee WARNING: You must plug MJ into USB error.

The above instructions work every time, also bacdk up your contact list.. before you format it, if not you lose you contacts.

Razz
Sherry
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: broken storage Reply with quote

I did the format after long tech chat. went and changed drive letter then back to the origin drive letter.... it finally worked but it only works temp... if you unplug or shut down your computer I have to reformat the drive again.
Also, when I format I had to run the fix file when plugging in.
Are there any files in the storage drive after format and a reinstall mj? As mine has drive file and auto run in the storage. The mj drive firmware ends in 2980 no and has 2 other files
Can you upgrade firmware inside mj? delete copy paste a new one in the mj drive folder? my drives say healthy.
I leave mj on all day only.
I guess I need to order another. 4 months old

I have tried all fixes. Any help will help. I have xp.
Lost without phone
Negeltu
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try right clicking the small icon in your tray by the time that says "Safely Remove Hardware" when you mouse over it. Then Choose "Safely Remove Hardware" and find the magic jack (Mass Storage Device Will have Ymax listed) and then press the "Stop" button before you shutdown your system for the night. Try doing this every night before you shut your computer off. It should prevent corruption from unstable power during shutdown or write errors to the solid state mem chip.
Sherry
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will do that. When formatting storage do you format fat or fat32 as there are 2 choices in the computer manager.
It sure is a pain to format every day when turning on computer every day. You loose your contacts and have to back them every time. There should be a way to flash mj and put new files on again in case they get corrupt.
I Love MJ
Negeltu
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MJ is FAT. 2 drives will show up in your system for Magic Jack. Only one can be formatted. It's file system is FAT while the other is CDFS and not able to be formatted.

If you stop the Magic Jack device on the USB port every night before shutdown... it should prevent write errors that occur during shutdown and cause broken storage. Also USB ports are usually paired. Don't plug anything into the USB port beside the Magic Jack. It will share the available amperage. The Magic Jack is drawing about exactly what the USB port can put out. If none of these things help.. seriously try a powered usb hub. From my fiddling with this device it appears that it is very power sensitive. You starve it just a little and it will pitch a fit.

So...

1) First try just stopping the device on your USB port every night before shutdown.

if that doesn't prevent the broken storage error then try

2) Stop the device on your usb port and then Unplug it from your computer before shut down.

The downside to #2 is that you have to plug it in after your system boots up every time. Try #1 first. and make sure that the MJ is FULLY inserted into the USB port. That will also cause broken storage errors. Push it in very firmly... but straight. Don't break the thing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sherry
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Broken Storage Reply with quote

Great Forum.......

Today I chatted with MJ support again. They do come on promptly and do try to help as much as they can. They are great! compared to any other company I have had to communicate with lately. 5*****'s
1.I did try in 3 different computers and still broken storage so it is not lacking power, usb in right.
1. formatted removal disk the 2nd MJ Drive = right click my computer, manage, disk mangement, find drive and rt click to format or my computer, find storage drive that is MJ that has format option and format
3. run newest update file
4. should fix your MJ if it is really not broke

I think maybe my memory chip in it is very sensitive to the shut downs that are down improperly and broke... so I am taking your advice to go to shut down hardware in safely remove hardware before shutting the computer down for the night.
I do have a lot of power failure in my area and illegal computer shut downs.

MJ is sending me a replacement and mine is 3-4 months old. How about that! I have 2 so if I have a problem, I won't be without phone. I have no more 65.00 phone bills. 40.00 is a bargain. I have set up 9 MJ and mine was the only one that was not repairable. They also said I can keep my same MJ NO. on the replacement MJ.
Becoming well versed on MJ,
Sherry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: