magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Quarter 2011 Come and Gone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CriticalThinker
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: First Quarter 2011 Come and Gone Reply with quote

Though "live agent" I offered to alpha or beta test their linux software which they have been promising for some time now. Based on the response, they have nothing. If they had a working email address, I might recommend that it might be easier to develop a Windows application that is compatible with WINE.

I have MJ working perfectly with VB but it's expensive as hell in cycles and memory.
WinRiddance
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: First Quarter 2011 Come and Gone Reply with quote

CriticalThinker wrote:
Though "live agent" I offered to alpha or beta test their linux software which they have been promising for some time now. Based on the response, they have nothing. If they had a working email address, I might recommend that it might be easier to develop a Windows application that is compatible with WINE.

I have MJ working perfectly with VB but it's expensive as hell in cycles and memory.

Hah, I bought into Dan's crap too, when I read an Online interview from back in 2007 where he stated that Linux compatibility is being worked on with compatibility expected by no later than the 2nd quarter of 2008. Based on that article which I read in December of 2009 we purchased MagicJack even though we only had Linux machines at home. They just use crap like that to sucker us Linux users into buying the product ...

We're way too busy with intense computer applications, to start bogging down our systems needlessly with a VB, Wine, or other nonsense that'll prevent us from enjoying 100% of our RAM, CPU speed, etc. Our solution back then (Jan. 2010) was to buy a cheap used XP laptop for $100 bucks that we then plugged our MJ into. The laptop was running wireless and we just stuck it in a part of the house where it didn't bother us a whole lot for it to be there ... with the phone and MJ connected to it of course.

They're never going to have MJ compatible with Linux because they're way too afraid that some developers might figure out how to recreate everything that makes it work, followed by giving the code and functioning apps away for free. There's no doubt in my mind that that's the real reason for no support with Linux.

Today we have two MJ PLUS devices and the $100 laptop is gone. All of our machines are still Linux systems but two of them have dual-boot into Win7, Windoze having been pre-installed by the manufacturer. So we registered the two devices with Windows, then unplugged them, carried them over to our router room, followed by plugging them directly into our router and the wall outlets. After that we plugged cordless phones with DSL line filters into them. The line filters made a difference in quality even though the MJ PLUS worked without the filters too. Maybe it's just our router?

Anyway, now we have two working MJ PLUS without windows, without Wine, and without a Virtual Box. Heck, they're not even in the same room as our computers. The phones have multiple handsets with built-in phonebooks which means that we have phones exactly where we want them, with single push button access to most of the numbers that we'd ever call. Until a real permanent Linux solution comes around, that's in my opinion the way to go ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: