magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Exiting/closing magicJack; also uninstalling
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlieberman
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Exiting/closing magicJack; also uninstalling Reply with quote

Is there a way to elegantly exit (close) the magicJack application? The only way I have found is to go into the Windows Task Manager and manually end the magicJack process. So far this has not done any harm and has not lost any data. But it does not seem to be the best, certainly not the most elegant, practice. Is there a plan to add a Close or Exit function to MJ?

While we on the subject of ending magicJack, does anyone know how to Uninstall it? I am not planning to do so at this time, but I would like to know that it can be done properly. Here are some problems I see with uninstalling MJ:

- There is no uninstall routine with MJ program that I have seen. Have you?
- The default install location is under the Windows Documents and Settings directory, not in the Program Files directory
- The Windows Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs function does NOT list the main magicJack program as one that could be uninstalled!

Any suggestions? Does anyone know if MJ is working on a more standard way (or at least manual instructions) for removing MJ safely and properly?
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

Xen1969
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way to do it now except tear it down bit by bit. There are other threads on this board that detail how to do this on your own. MagicJack has not provided a way.

Like everything else, Dan says that a way to uninstall is on the to do list.

Ever get the impression there were never any meetings at MagicJack to design the system out on paper ahead of time? More like... ON YOUR MARKS... GET SET... GO!!!! to 40-something Russian programmers.

What we get is what we see now. Obvious things like no way to exit the program, no way to uninstall, you know the rest.

Razz Very Happy Smile Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xen1969,

I just hope the hardware designers had a little more foresight and left it open enough to deal with just about any changes that may need to be made. If they didn't some of us early birds may end up having to buy hardware version two to keep up with all the good stuff.

Don't know why that concerns me, it is the way I purchase all my D-Link routers. I try to stay just ahead of them and buy the latest version at least twenty four hours prior to them releasing a new hardware version. Confused

HolmanGT - St. George, UT MJ-Area/Prefix 435-275
ooma-Area/Prefix 435-579
Baja Broadband, up-1mb dn-10mb, on days with a good tail wind.
MJ on HP T5730 2GBF/2GBR Thin Client XPe SP2 Router Dlink Dir-655
Xen1969
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
If they didn't some of us early birds may end up having to buy hardware version two to keep up with all the good stuff.

This was one of my concerns when I bought my MagicJack back in December. I sort of expect to see a hardware version 2 at some point. Nothing to base it on besides my bad luck.

Of course I will probably be a sucker and buy one Laughing

If it worked and improved things a ton it would of course be worth the second purchase.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xen1969,

Don't feel bad I'll be in-line right behind you.

If more toys is good then better toys are better. I have no idea what that means but one Geek to another it will probably be subliminally understandable. Rolling Eyes

PS - If we don't stop admitting in public that we would pay more, Dan is going to get wise and take us literally or is that just "Take us". Sad

ooma-Area/Prefix 435-579
couch-potato
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: exit MagicJack Reply with quote

Go to Menu > Advanced Users > check "minimize to tray"

Minimize MagicJack and it goes to the taskbar at the bottom right of the screen.

I just got my MagicJack an hour ago. So I apologize if you were already knew this and were looking for a way to make it exit the taskbar entirely.

There is also several posts in the other discussion group, "tips, tricks, and hacks" that tell you how to disable the MagicJack softphone and use a different one, or install MagicJack under a different user profile and have it run as a service in the bakcground.
sbw07
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disabling all skins by renaming the big.skn & small.skn files in the mjusbsp folder (to whatever name you choose), makes the softphone appear in a different interface which has an "X" button [s:66f21c34ac]to close down mj[/s:66f21c34ac] TO FOOL YOU INTO THINKING IT WILL SHUTDOWN MJ. All it actually does is minimize.

Last edited by sbw07 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
fsu1991
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a batch file with two commands in it as follows:
tskill magicjack
tskill callerIDSpoof

Save the file as closemagicjack.bat and create a shortcut to it on your desktop.
Click on the shortcut and it closes both MagicJack and CallerIDSpoofer (if you use it) just as if you used Task Manager.
It will leave the icons for both programs in your taskbar, but running your mouse over them causes them to disappear.
sbw07
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsu1991 wrote:
tskill magicjack
tskill callerIDSpoof

Save the file as closemagicjack.bat and create a shortcut to it on your desktop.
Click on the shortcut and it closes both MagicJack and CallerIDSpoofer (if you use it) just as if you used Task Manager.
It will leave the icons for both programs in your taskbar, but running your mouse over them causes them to disappear.

That command won't work in Vista. However, you can use the following:

Code:
taskkill /IM magicjack.exe
taskkill /IM callerIDspoof.exe

see here for more details.

Last edited by sbw07 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
MagicJackInSac
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbw07 wrote:
Disabling all skins by renaming the big.skn & small.skn files in the mjusbsp folder (to whatever name you choose), makes the softphone appear in a different interface which has an "X" button to close down mj.

Where do you find the mjusbp folder? I am running vista also and did a search of my entire computer, but cannot find that folder. Also, do you have a screenshot by chance of what the different interface looks like?
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Vista it lives here:

C:\Users\Bubba\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp

Bubba = your account name.

ooma-Area/Prefix 435-579
sbw07
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicJackInSac wrote:
Where do you find the mjusbp folder? I am running vista also and did a search of my entire computer, but cannot find that folder. Also, do you have a screenshot by chance of what the different interface looks like?

Holman gave the Vista location, and here's the XP location:

C:\Documents and Settings\Bubba\Application Data\mjusbsp

Bubba= your account name

If you did a search and it didn't come up, that's probably bec. AppData and Application Data are Hidden folders and you are not set to display them. To do that, click "Tools" on the menu bar of any open Explorer window (My Computer, My Documents etc.,) then click "Folder Options", "View", and then "Show hidden Files and folders". Click OK and you should be able to access these folders.

And lastly here's the screenshot you asked for:

Last edited by sbw07 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:10 pm; edited 4 times in total
sbw07
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Exiting/closing magicJack; also uninstalling Reply with quote

jlieberman wrote:
While we on the subject of ending magicJack, does anyone know how to Uninstall it? I am not planning to do so at this time, but I would like to know that it can be done properly. Here are some problems I see with uninstalling MJ:

- There is no uninstall routine with MJ program that I have seen. Have you?
- The default install location is under the Windows Documents and Settings directory, not in the Program Files directory
- The Windows Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs function does NOT list the main magicJack program as one that could be uninstalled!

Any suggestions? Does anyone know if MJ is working on a more standard way (or at least manual instructions) for removing MJ safely and properly?

Digital Nomads has a post detailing how to get rid of all the installed software
dbarber
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsu1991 wrote:
tskill magicjack
tskill callerIDSpoof

For those of you too lazy to create an icon for "closemagicjack.bat", I have created one (boy am I bored today Smile ). I'm not sure how to upload it here, since it's a .ico file. If you're interested, let me know.

Donn

These opinions are strictly my own. However, if you really want them, we can negotiate.
sbw07
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbarber wrote:
For those of you too lazy to create an icon for "closemagicjack.bat", I have created one (boy am I bored today Smile ). I'm not sure how to upload it here, since it's a .ico file. If you're interested, let me know.

Donn

Hey Donn, I was just trying to create one myself! Upload it to tribal online and post the download link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: