magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Error 401
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillyH
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Error 401 Reply with quote

Can someone please tell me what is error 401 and error 400 and also error 3 all about? My MJ had been working ok but tonight it come up with errors. I run MJ fix and UG. Its working ok now. I just like to know what all the errors are about. On MJ it said this Please restart your MJ and try again error 401 or it would come up with error 400 or error 3. I just like to know what are all the errors are about?

Mr. President, you must abide by the rule of law and stop this illegal activity. Our children do not belong to you."
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

emjade
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: System wide issue? Reply with quote

I'm also getting error 400. Can't login to my.magicjack.com either.
BillyH
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Magis Jack Side Reply with quote

This could be a problem on MJ's side,If the troubleshooting tips on this forum do not offer a solution then wait a few hours and try again later or go to the tech chat and see if they are having technical problems with your specific area. good luck to you.

Mr. President, you must abide by the rule of law and stop this illegal activity. Our children do not belong to you."
emjade
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they are performing some kind of maintenance on the atlanta proxy. I am able to login to the nashville proxy.
ajwees41
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting error 3 and error 400,401 in the Omaha area off and on. Hopefully it will be solod in a while.
Nos
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: error codes 400-401 error 3 Reply with quote

I also in Charlotte Nc area and have same codes, A non working phone with a dial tone.
Cust-support kicked me up to a tech and she stated there working on the problem, Could be 24-48 hours
Lets hope its a short downtime. Thats my 2 cents worth. Steve

IF we could start a ERROR Code List in Forums maybe in a "Sticky" we could make a Flow Chart to follow for a self help Repair. just a thought
Stevepfaff
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: error codes 400-401 error 3 Reply with quote

Nos wrote:

IF we could start a ERROR Code List in Forums maybe in a "Sticky" we could make a Flow Chart to follow for a self help Repair. just a thought

And a good one at that,... I'll start a thread with the two codes I know, and if the powers that be on this forum want it to be a sticky they will.
Nos
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: A 401 FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME Reply with quote

I had MJ fail last night with multi error codes as many did. I used the Tech support and found there was server issues and was told 12-48 Hrs for repairs by a serv-tech that I got bumped up to.

Codes 400-401 and error 3 were a constant no matter what we tried.

I ran the voip test to Boston service appeared good, and I checked the trace line also.
nothing helped. All Checked good. (If you do this join and save the test and run one once you have service again for compairing for future use)

Tonite I got home and unplugged the MJ from the usb for 15 secs ot a bit longer then back in, same failed results.

Fix, I unplugged MJ again and plugged back to another usb port thats still a direct port on the motherboard.
MJ is back up and going, I spoke to another tech and they say its in there end.

the 401 code means the MJ cannot find the server, according the the tech-Sam I had
hope this helps someone.................. Nos
kayatanon
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To fix the issue about error 3:
1.disable the antivirus including the firewall
2.you need to make these ports are open: UDP 5070-070 UDP, TCP 80 and 443.
-since magicJack uses those ports.

by: MARK,MARIA, IRISH, JAN
sbw07
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Error 401 Resolved Reply with quote

I just had an error 401 problem which was resolved through the good fellows over at MJ TechChat. Here's a copy of our chat (I edited it alot to make it readable & flowing).

MJ Live Tech Chat wrote:
You are now chatting with 'Nick'

Nick: Hello, how may I help you?

Joe: Hi

Joe: I was just on this chat with Mikel about the error 401 that I keep getting.

Joe: He had me unplug the MJ, wait 2 minutes, replug & start MJ and then restart the MJ from the menu.

Joe: It worked...for 1 phone call.

Nick: Do you get this message once again?

Joe: As soon as I closed the chat the error message came back.

Nick: Oh I see

Nick: Have you tried to restart your magicjack once again?

Joe: no

Nick: Please try it once again

Joe: Frankly it's quite a pain to do that between every phone call

Nick: OK Joe, you don't need to do this again

Joe: Then what?

Nick: Go to Control Panel>Network Connections>right click on your active Internet connection> select Properties>scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click it>click on Properties. In there check the little circle that says "use the following DNS Server address”. In Preferred DNS address, type in: 67.90.152.122, click OK and OK. Now restart your magicJack by going to Menu>Advanced user> Restart.

Joe: Whose DNS server is 67.90.152.122? I'm interested in sticking with my current servers- OpenDNS.

Nick: Joe, please try the above steps.

Joe: I just replugged & restarted from menu and it's working now; should I still do it?

Nick: Yes, please do it.

Joe: I saw this posted online--"The DNS addresses provided are ones that are controlled by talk4free -- they may work just great for magicJack but they do not work that great for other stuff [because they are underpowered] and IMO this should not be necessary. The other issue I have with using the talk4free DNS servers is that they will capture ALL of your surfing data which is non-of-their business -- YES this is a privacy issue -- for the average magicJack user the default TCP/IP configuration for DNS should NOT be changed."

Joe: How long do you want me to keep that DNS setting for?

Nick: OK

Nick: Thank you for your patience. I will transfer you to a higher level of support. Please hold while I transfer you.

Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

You are now chatting with 'Victoria'

Victoria: Welcome to the higher level of support.

Victoria: Hi, this is Victoria, it's my pleasure to assist you today, kindly give me a moment while I review the chat history.

Joe: OK

Victoria: Click Start tab and open your control panel... Go to Internet Options.. under Privacy tab.. slide bar down to "Allow all cookies". Under Security tab click on "Trusted sites" then click the "Sites" button. Type the following address into the text bar.. https://reg.talk4free.com & click the "Add" button.. Now type in the following address.. https://my.magicjack.com and click "Add". Uncheck the box at bottom left of window that says "require server verification..." click "OK" then click "Apply" close the Internet Options. Unplug the magic jack and plug it back into a different USB port.

Joe: give me a sec. to digest

Victoria: Sure

Joe: Just a quick update, my mj is not connecting calls now, but there is no error message displayed.

Victoria: Okay

Victoria: Please click the link to download and run the magicJack upgrade (applicable for both XP & Vista):

Victoria: http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe

Victoria: Please complete the above step before the upgrade.

Joe: I did the first steps.

Victoria: Okay, now please run the magicjack upgrade.

Joe: Running upgrade...

Joe: Now it's working.

Victoria: Great.

Victoria: Is there anything else I may help you with today?

Joe: To clarify, should I change my DNS servers?

Victoria: No.

Joe: And I have to always keep my privacy level set to accept all cookies?

Victoria: You can set your default settings now.

Joe: So the cookie setting change was just to get the upgrade?

Victoria: Yes.

Joe: Do I need those settings for future upgrades?

Victoria: Yes Joe.

Joe: Any kind of notification available when upgrades are released?

Victoria: No.

Victoria: If you have any problems again please direct contact with me.

Joe: OK

Joe: Thanks

Victoria: You are welcome.

sbw07
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum it up:
The 1st rep. (Mikel) said to unplug mj, plug it back in after 2 minutes, start mj, then click Menu, Advanced, Restart. This worked for approx. 2 minutes & then the error returned.

The 2nd rep. (Nick) said to change my DNS settings to point to MJ's server. I declined the offer.

The 3rd rep. (Victoria) said to change my Internet Explorer settings to allow all cookies, and to add my.magicjack.com & reg.talk4free.com to my trusted sites (leaving the "require server verification" box unchecked). This would allow a required upgrade to be accessed and run. I was then to unplug the MJ & plug it back into a different USB port. After that I should download & run the upgrade. This method worked & my mj is back up and running.

Last edited by sbw07 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
kisscool321
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Error 401 fixed with tech support Reply with quote

I forgot to keep my chat log.
I created a session with a tech using this link:
http://tinyurl.com/27pzpm

Then got on hold with someone really quick, I guess I was lucky for that.
The tech said she's gonna reactivate my number.
That was it!!
I have a toshiba with a vista SP1.
When the problem occured I was abroad for work, in Africa.
grooverince
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was having the same problem, got onto the livechat support and they fixed it within 2 minutes here is a copy of the conversation:

Quote:
Chat InformationPlease wait for a site operator to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Benjamin'

Benjamin: Hello, how may I help you?

Paul: Hi my MagicJack has been getting the 401 error from about yesterday I tried restarting but the error does not go away

Paul: I can not make any phone calls on it

Benjamin: Hello Paul! = )

Benjamin: Please let me fix this for you.

Benjamin: Please restart your magicJack. Menu>Advanced Users>Restart.

Paul: doing it...

Benjamin: Thank you.

Paul: done it seems to work what was the problem?

Benjamin: I refreshed your account from our end.

Benjamin: = )

Benjamin: Is there anything else I may help you with today?

Paul: oh ok let me just very quickly try making a phone call to see if it fully works

Benjamin: Ok.

Benjamin: No problem.

Paul: yes that seems to have done the trick thank you very much

Benjamin: Your welcome.

Benjamin: Please rate my exit survey 5. I really appreciate it. Thank you very much!

Benjamin: = )

Benjamin: Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thank you very much.

Paul: you get the highest score thank you again
[/quote]
Delavan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several days ago I was getting Error 4, please connect to the internet. I accessed tech support chat and went thru all the various incantations and gyrations without luck. Finally Nicole "refreshed my account", I reset MJ and it worked, until the next morning when the error returned. Not wanting to go thru chat hell again, I just sat back, waited and did nothing. Several days later, all by itself, MJ started working again. I highly suspect that many of these errors are on MJ's end and are caused by them. They have quite a bit to learn about making seamless upgrades that don't knock us users offline. As a programmer myself, if I blew away users whenever I made a programming change at my job, I wouldn't have that job for long. Hopefully my 202 DC area code will stabilize until 262 for WI becomes available.
Stevo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Solution to Error 401 on Mac Reply with quote

Here is the Chat script I had:
Jonathan: Hello, how may I help you?
Stevo: I am getting the message
Stevo: Please restart your magicjack and try again [error 401]
Stevo: on a Mac OS X ver. 10.5.6
Jonathan: Please wait while I check that for you
Stevo: I have a linksys router, and have forwarded ports 5060 through 5070 using both tcp and UDP protocols to the ip of the machine I have the MJ plugged into
Stevo: My OS firewall is allowing all incoming connections so I am not sure what else to do?
Jonathan: 1.Please click on Apple Icon, select System Preferences and click on Network.
Stevo: ok
Jonathan: 1.Click on Configure (if no configure button find Advance button).
Jonathan: 1.On DNS Servers, put 67.90.152.122 then followed by 67.107.71.186
Jonathan: 1.Please restart your magicJack by clicking on the “Menu” then “Advance Users” then “Restart”.
Stevo: I have already read about this solution on the internet... I do not want to be tied to your DNS servers and that should not be the solution
Jonathan: Okay... thanks
Jonathan: Thank you for your patience. I will transfer you to a higher level of support. Please hold while I transfer you.
Stevo: he DNS addresses provided are ones that are controlled by talk4free -- they may work just great for magicJack but they do not work that great for other stuff [because they are underpowered] and IMO this should not be necessary.
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
You are now chatting with 'Patrick'
Patrick: Hi, this is Patrick. Please hold while I reveiw your previous chats.
Stevo: The other issue I have with using the talk4free DNS servers is that they will capture ALL of your surfing data which is non-of-their business -- YES this is a privacy issue -- for the average magicJack user the default TCP/IP configuration for DNS should NOT be changed.
Patrick: Hello Steven.
Stevo: Hi
Patrick: Is your magicJack plugged in right now?
Stevo: Yes
Patrick: Can I have your magicJack phone number please.
Stevo: ***-***-****
Patrick: Please unplug your magicJack for the moment.
Stevo: unplugged
Patrick: One moment please...
Stevo: still there Patrick???
Patrick: yes.
Patrick: Please hold while I work your settings of your magicJack here in my end.
Patrick: Okay, Please plug your magicJack now.
Stevo: I have the window with the start magicjack icon, do you want me to launch the app.
Patrick: Yes.
Stevo: Says Ready to call
Stevo: thanks
Stevo: one more question before I go
Patrick: Yes, what is it?
Stevo: If you read above, I have a linksys router, I forwarded the ports 5060-5070 both tcp and udp protocols to this machine... I also read on the internet that I Would need to forward ports 80 tcp and 443 tcp, I do not want to do this if not necessary because I have an apache server on another machine in the house I am forwarding port 80 to. Is it necessary to forward 80 to the MJ machine???
Patrick: The UDP port are the audio streams of your magicJack. If you block this, you will not be able to receive or make calls. For the TCP ports they are the secured HTTP, if you also block this or remove. You can't log in to your magicJack account.
Patrick: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
Stevo: I am not blocking outgoing, only forwarding incoming requests on port 80 to another machine... so it should be ok then
Stevo: that is all thanks
Patrick: Yes.
Patrick: YOur Welcome Steven.
Patrick: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again!
Patrick: Have a Nice Day Steven.
Stevo: Thanks you too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: