magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Error 401

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unarmed in AZ
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Error 401 Windows 7 SOLUTION!!! Reply with quote

This Roll Back worked for me, two days in Asia w/ multiple locations and connections, all getting Error 401. Rolled back my Realtek driver and everything is fine. Six month old HP laptop Windows 7.
Thanks Charlie
charliedodge1973 wrote:
Hey Folks,

I am a computer technician, And I've been dealing with this problem on my windows seven machine for nearly three months now. I run my business from my home and it has been extremely frustrating when I'm attempting to troubleshoot a computer 300 miles away and suddenly my magic jack gives me a 401 error. Up to this point the only way to fix it was to remove the magic jack from my window seven machine and plug it into an XP Machine, then back to my window seven machine. My call and contact lists still would not show, but at least I can still make calls . After much along searching and experimenting I finally discovered that the main culprit for this error for most users is the NETWORK DRIVER! Especially Realtek gigabit drivers! ROLL YOUR NETWORK DRIVER BACK TO THE PREVIOUS VERSION AND THE MAGIC JACK WORKS FINE! I really hope that magic that jack tech support is listening because this is obviously an issue that they do not know how to deal with and a simple solution. Since then my magic jack fully functional and I have not had a problem since.
mrbobbell
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Roll Back Your NIC Driver After Update (Error 401) Reply with quote

Let me confirm what the last few posters have said.

Windows 7 updated my NIC driver a few days ago. I had totally forgotten that fact when I began getting weird MJ errors. Finally, this morning I started receiving the dreaded "Error 401" and my MJ wouldn't work at all.

After reading all of the messages in this forum, I rolled back my NIC driver and my MJ instantly sprang back to life.

Lesson learned!

(EDIT: My NIC uses a Realtek gigabit driver.)
citantim
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Error 401 Windows 7 SOLUTION!!! Reply with quote

charliedodge1973 wrote:
Hey Folks,

I am a computer technician, And I've been dealing with this problem on my windows seven machine for nearly three months now. I run my business from my home and it has been extremely frustrating when I'm attempting to troubleshoot a computer 300 miles away and suddenly my magic jack gives me a 401 error. Up to this point the only way to fix it was to remove the magic jack from my window seven machine and plug it into an XP Machine, then back to my window seven machine. My call and contact lists still would not show, but at least I can still make calls . After much along searching and experimenting I finally discovered that the main culprit for this error for most users is the NETWORK DRIVER! Especially Realtek gigabit drivers! ROLL YOUR NETWORK DRIVER BACK TO THE PREVIOUS VERSION AND THE MAGIC JACK WORKS FINE! I really hope that magic that jack tech support is listening because this is obviously an issue that they do not know how to deal with and a simple solution. Since then my magic jack fully functional and I have not had a problem since.

I can absolutely confirm this. My problem started after Windows Update (Win7 64bit) found and installed a new driver for the following: RealTek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Network adapters).
I had to rollback to this version:
Driver Date: 12/29/2010
Driver Version:7.37.1229.2010
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: