magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
duplicate phone number?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgl_8
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: duplicate phone number? Reply with quote

I've had MJ for about a week. Someone calling me this morning from another state kept getting a 'fast busy' signal. When I called my MJ from my cell, I first got an 'all circuits are busy' message, and then on another attempt got nothing - no ring, just dropped after a few seconds. And when I called from my home phone, I got someone else's voicemail. A Google search says it's a landline in another city.

I was online with MJ support for HOURS this morning. They have not resolved anything, but they maintain that it is IMPOSSIBLE for someone else to have the same phone number as I do. (At the same time, they suggest I change my phone number.) Has anyone else had this problem?
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

mgl_8
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: more about this Reply with quote

A friend of mine just tested my number again and said:

i just called your number and got somebody else's vm. when i call from my cell and put in the area code, i get your vm. i get your vm when i call from my cell and don't put in the area code.

Clearly a problem. There is absolutely no way they can reassure me that this will not be a continuing problem, even if I change my number. I think I may end my MJ trial and wait until they make it possible to port one's home phone to the thing.
davrow
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make it sound like you are only talking about the 7 digit number being duplicated.

That is the case for most everyone.

Only the 10 digit number is unique, and then only within a specific country code.

Am I misunderstanding?
mgl_8
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning, a business associate was trying to call long distance (which includes the area code) and never got connected - always got a fast busy signal.

When I called from my own phone, yes, I just dialed 7 numbers. It's a local call to my own area code, right? Why would I have to use the area code in that instance? I mean, are you suggesting my neighbor across the street should have to make a toll call to get a hold of me?

magicjack's suggestion was that I change the phone number. Why would I have to do that if it were not a problem?

When I googled the 10-digit number, it showed up as a landline in another city. I find that more than odd.
mphixson
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really surprised you can dial 7 digits, we haven't been able to do that for at least five years in Massachusetts, 10 digits are required for all calls including local.. yes, when i call my neighbor i have to include the area code..

magicjack will often have all circuits are busy or a fast busy. although i haven't experienced it for a couple months now. usually the second call will work.

i believe it took about a week and a half before my wife's cell phone could call my number. I don't know if the number has to be replicated to each service provider, but after a week and a half she could get through.

Oh yeah, google the number doesn't mean much, my magicjack number in google comes up at a former air force base. My assumption is that when they closed the base the numbers were returned to the phone company, who reissued one of them to magicjack who reissued it to me.
mgl_8
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All valid points. I think, though, that after spending 1.5 hours online with their support (where I repeated myself often and am thinking I was talking with a bot, not a person), and after reading the Rants and Raves forum, I will just wait until they figure out a way to port the number to my home phone. Then I'll try again. (Assuming they reasonably handle my return during my 'free trial,' of course!)
mgl_8
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and again, the weirdness of getting another VM when dialing my number - odd. I dialed 7 numbers from my home phone (we here in this part of FL don't have to do 10-digit dialing yet), so it was not interpreted, as it were, as a toll call nor a long distance call, but rather a local one, and the local area code is the same as mine, the same as my magicJack one...so it was just strange.
JohnnyFreightTRAIN
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if number porting does become available be aware that magicjack does not have to give you back your phone number. So, if you port your phone number to magicjack don't expect to be able to port it to anywhere else.

They also reserve the right to change your phone number without warning.
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: duplicate phone number? Reply with quote

mgl_8 wrote:
I've had MJ for about a week. Someone calling me this morning from another state kept getting a 'fast busy' signal. When I called my MJ from my cell, I first got an 'all circuits are busy' message, and then on another attempt got nothing - no ring, just dropped after a few seconds. And when I called from my home phone, I got someone else's voicemail. A Google search says it's a landline in another city.

I was online with MJ support for HOURS this morning. They have not resolved anything, but they maintain that it is IMPOSSIBLE for someone else to have the same phone number as I do. (At the same time, they suggest I change my phone number.) Has anyone else had this problem?

That's silly. It's not impossible at all, but what actually happens is, the phone number is still feeding incoming calls to the landline that owns it. Just because your magicjack is registered to that number and works with outgoing calls, means nothing. You do not own the number - the calls will never come to you unless that phone number is ported to you from the landline for which it truly exists.
Just change your number. In your case, the phone number was probably showing available still when it was assigned to someone else. In reality, both phone providers added the number to their internal phone system, however, only the one whose number actually got forwarded to their service first is the winner, so to speak. All a phone number does it patch calls to your phone - it has nothing to do with outgoing calls. Unless the person who actually has that number gives it up, you will never be able to use that number for incoming calls, so change your number.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: