magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dummies guide: Configure an HP t5700 for MJ using XPe w/SP2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimisbell
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning it was still "Downloading" so I unpluged it and pluged it back in again and it worked perfectly! Didnt reboot or anything, just unplugged and plugged back in. I probably could have done that last night!!!
jimisbell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reset the RanDisk Z to 16 MB, though it didnt mention this in the instructions, after I got a "Low on virtual memory" warning when I tried to run IE to go on line and get TightVNC to set up the server. Resetting the RamDisk didnt help. I still get the "Low on Virtual memory" I really need to get TightVNC going as I dont have a spare display for use on the TC.

I noticed that I also have on the desktop "Remote Desktop" or something like that. I think it is a program to remotely control the TC similar to the TightVNC. Can I just delete that program? And where?
Alpman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can leave RamDisk at 16mb. Try increasing the EWF volume size to whatever maximum size is available on your machine. EWF is intercepting the Virtual Memory disk writes. If it is too small, it will give memory errors. There should be an option to configure EWF settings in the control panel.

If you use Windows on the remote machine you can try TeamViewer instead of VNC.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I use VNC is that I have one Linux machine on the LAN and I cannot configure TeamViewer to run on Linux. Before the re flashing of my TC I was using VNC, but I may have gotten it there by downloading to a DOK and avoided using IE....maybe....

This whole exersize began because my wife was cussing the MJ because it was cutting out. It sounded like a wideband signal wandering around in a narrow band channel. I attributed it to some sort of instability in the computer I was using since the "Great Upgrade" that trashed the TC. But I am now beginning to suspect the cable modem. My provider said they would quit supporting the modem THAT THEY SOLD TO ME on January1st. I put in the new modem that they made me buy today and I must admit, it is faster so maybe they had already started to nudge us out with bad service even before the deadline of January 1st.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new modem got rid of most of the chopping up. Now its only occasional 1 second out of 20 seconds. Livable.

edit: I just found the one second out of 20. I was watching the router and noticed a one second drop out of the internet every now and then. When it dropped out the WiFi channel also dropped out. I am not using the WiFi right now so I unplugged it from the router and lo and behold, the dropouts stopped!!! Must be something wrong with the WiFi card.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The memory problem was "operator error" I forgot that a while back when the TC was not working with the MJ I had scavanged the 512 MB memory card for use in the TC that I have set up in the car and had put in a 256 MB card. The TC will just barely run the MJ with 256 MB memory, but if you try to run anything else, like TightVNC at the same time it wont handle it.

My car computer is now down until I find another 512MB card.... Crying or Very sad

My new problem is lack of download of the contacts list. But I can live with that, its like being back to AT&T again....almost.
dmanglk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Configure to boot up and reload MJ after power loss? Reply with quote

Thank to all the helpful individuals here that take thier time to help! The dummy guides are just what this dummy needed to convince me I could take this on and maybe even get it right. I just ordered a 5700 256/256 (ebay $59 delivered in box like new). Plan on upgrading to 512/512 and using magic jack only on it. My plan...is to use a KVM switch to toggle my 2nd montitor between the MJ and the 2nd monitor port on a mac mini. I also plan to try using a powered usb adaptor (any suggestions?) and hooking it up to my home wiring and powering 3 or 4 phones...hopefully. I figured I would better benefit learning how to set up my own TC instead of buying a preconfigured one off of ebay. I did notice on some of the ebay auctions that the 5700 could be configured to restart and load MJ after a power outage. Does anyone have any information that they would care to share about how to set this up or possibly a link to the info if it can be found here? I did alot of reading here but haven't come across it.

I can't wait for my new toy! Thanks again to all who contribute here!

Damon
jimisbell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of switching monitors, try TightNVC to access the telephone server from the Mac on the Macs monitor. I think TightVNC will run on a Mac as it runs on Linux. Go to TightVNC.com to check it out.
dtm
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a cheap KVM switch to switch between the TC and my old desktop it is sitting beside. It works OK and frees up a USB slot to boot.

Just an idea for you guys.
dandi
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When deleting the unnecessary packages I ran into problems with these two:

Altiris XPe Add-on (Remove Multiple Components)
Altiris XPe Add-on (Remove .NET Messenger)

I can't seem to find them at HP's site. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Amountstax
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: I got a problem using the guide. Reply with quote

So I've formatted my 4GB Kingston USB Flash Drive using the SP27608.exe now when I try to run the SP29705.exe then select USB Format I get this error.
Theirs no write protection on it though. I used SP27608.exe to Format as FAT32 and use the win98 DOS documents from the guide. Is my USB being 4GB the problem?
johnvan
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same message with a 4gb Duracell USB stick. I tried a 2gb by a different manufacturer and it worked fine.
Not sure if it's the size or make, but try another one if you have one handy.
Amountstax
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Will do. Reply with quote

johnvan wrote:
I had the same message with a 4gb Duracell USB stick. I tried a 2gb by a different manufacturer and it worked fine.
Not sure if it's the size or make, but try another one if you have one handy.
Aight thx for the quick post. I've seen some post where they had trouble with 4GB drives and some that had it working I'll try a 2GB. Thanks again. Very Happy
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Configure to boot up and reload MJ after power loss? Reply with quote

dmanglk wrote:
... I did notice on some of the ebay auctions that the 5700 could be configured to restart and load MJ after a power outage. Does anyone have any information that they would care to share about how to set this up or possibly a link to the info if it can be found here? I did alot of reading here but haven't come across it. Damon

Hi Damon,
Did you get an answer to auto-restart? When you get your TC, in the BIOS settings, there is a setting for how the TC behaves when power is restored. One option is for the TC to automatically boot up. It's an obscurely named option so you'll have to hunt around in the BIOS settings. So after a power outage, the TC will boot right up again. Sorry I don't have my TC handy to check.

Also search the forums here, I recall discussion on this feature.

Have fun,
-Tony
Amountstax
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Need different version. Reply with quote

Problems I ran into using the guide.
The USB drive being 4GB was to big. I bought a 2GB drive for $10 and it worked fine. Between 512MB-2GB works best.
The Operating system would get to 99% install completion and get an error.
To solve this I got an older version which you can get here. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=PSG_I22056-106343&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=339208 .
The newest version of TeamViewer didn't install correctly. To solve this I downloaded the older 3.6 version(works on XPe and Windows 7 just fine).
You can get that here. http://www.teamviewer.com/download/version_3x/TeamViewer_Setup.exe .

After all that though it's now up and running and remotely I might add which is very nice. Thanks jeepsterguy and VaHam. Although It might not have worked right away you certainly pointed me in all the right directions.
Hope this solves some problems and headaches for those future people reading this.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Need different version. Reply with quote

Amountstax wrote:
Problems I ran into using the guide.
The USB drive being 4GB was to big. I bought a 2GB drive for $10 and it worked fine. Between 512MB-2GB works best.
The Operating system would get to 99% install completion and get an error.
To solve this I got an older version which you can get here. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=PSG_I22056-106343&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=339208 .
The newest version of TeamViewer didn't install correctly. To solve this I downloaded the older 3.6 version(works on XPe and Windows 7 just fine).
You can get that here. http://www.teamviewer.com/download/version_3x/TeamViewer_Setup.exe .

After all that though it's now up and running and remotely I might add which is very nice. Thanks jeepsterguy and VaHam. Although It might not have worked right away you certainly pointed me in all the right directions.
Hope this solves some problems and headaches for those future people reading this.

Glad you got it working. You'll love the MJ on the TC!
johnvan
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just setup a 5710 256/256 without too much difficulty thanks to this guide.
A few things are outdated on this guide so I thought I would add a few comments.

I didn't bother resizing the Ram disk to 64mb and everything worked fine.

- 2 of the Altiris removal scipts are no longer available, (.NET and Multiple Components) I used the 4 that remain as well as Sygate security removal. I downloaded the scripts onto a USB key and just double clicked the file. After that navigate to the C:\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\Deployment Server\RIP's. Double click the file and it will do it's job. A couple of times it looked like nothing was happening or things had frozen up but be patient, it worked great.
When I started with the fresh install of XPe, disk usage was at 224mb, after the removal scripts I had 182mb used.

I didn't install directX and also didn't have any issues with USB audio drivers. (T5710)

The other thing I did was go into device manage and right click on each USB port plus the Network Adapter and went into power management and unchecked the box to be sure my USB ports would never power down.
I also went into the perfomance section and clicked "Adjust visual effects for best performance"

After a commit and restart I plugged in the magicjack, it was plug and play, no tinkering required. Only 13mb remaining on the Flash Drive.

Remote desktop didn't work, it killed the audio.
Teamviewer wasn't an option, it wouldn't install, multiple errors and at one point said it needed 18mb, I only had 13 available.

TightVNC was the winner. Easy to install. During the install process you can choose to have it run as a service and can also deselect unneeded components. Deselect VNC viewer and Documents, you only need VNC server. It only used about 1mb of space and took less than 5 minutes to have up and running.

I have a cordless with 3 handsets plus a corded phone plugged into the magicjack. All phones ring, call quality is crystal clear.
The 5710 800mhz 256/256 is definitely sufficient for magicjack.
Tribute3
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked very well here on a Hp t5710. I have 280mb left on the C volume.
Amountstax
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Nice Find Reply with quote

johnvan wrote:
Remote desktop didn't work, it killed the audio.
Teamviewer wasn't an option, it wouldn't install, multiple errors and at one point said it needed 18mb, I only had 13 available.

TightVNC was the winner. Easy to install. During the install process you can choose to have it run as a service and can also deselect unneeded components. Deselect VNC viewer and Documents, you only need VNC server. It only used about 1mb of space and took less than 5 minutes to have up and running.

I have a cordless with 3 handsets plus a corded phone plugged into the magicjack. All phones ring, call quality is crystal clear.
The 5710 800mhz 256/256 is definitely sufficient for magicjack.

Remote desktop did the same for me. I used Team Viewer and found that TightVNC worked much better. Team Viewer worked but it was very slow. TightVNC worked much faster. It's a smaller program that uses less computer resources and doesn't have those annoying messages while having all the features Team Viewer has. Like johnvan said only install the TightVNC server onto the Thin Client. Then install only the TightVNC viewer onto your main PC.

You also want to add the TightVNC server to your Thin Client's start up programs. Here's a very small program (Only 76Kb) that you can use to do so.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Get the Standalone.EXE version and extract it. Run the program and click the HKCU / Run tab at the top. Then right click in the window and select new. Locate the TightVNC server.exe. Then make sure the check box next to it is selected and close the program. Now you have made sure that TightVNC will run when your Thin Client starts in case of power outages or you want to restart it periodically.

I went into the Program Files and deleted the Windows Media Player and the MSN messenger folders as well. Both programs are unneeded. If you do the same you can go ahead and delete the MSN messenger from your start up programs and delete all the shortcuts for both the Messenger and Media Player in the Start Menu.

Remember EWF configuration must be turned OFF for your settings to stay changed. You can make your Thin Client run smoother if you go to your Control Panel -> System-> Advanced Tab-> Performance Settings-> Then click Adjust for best performance. This will use less resources and change the look from XP to a more efficient Classic Windows look.

Enjoy! Very Happy
johnvan
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tightvnc as a start up program but I did it differently. I think I chose run as a service during the install and that was all that was required. I do regular scheduled restarts and it always starts automatically.
JoeGeary
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Target Disk is too small! Reply with quote

First of all, thank you for such a detailed post!

I made it to the "Install XPe" step.

When I booted my TC5700 (with 512MB RAM) from my flash drive, and attempted to install the image, I received an error stating "*** ERROR *** The target disk is too small!"

BIOS reports IDE Primary Master: 192MB ATA Flash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Diggs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flash drive in your machine is too small and needs to be replaced by a 512MB or 1 GB module. The first sticky or two in this forum explains the details.
JoeGeary
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply, but I ended up getting it working by doing the following:

1) After plugging the MagicJack into the T5700, I had the TigerJet driver error (shown in Device Manager). I installed the driver using the steps listed earlier in this post (thank you, by the way) and rebooted. That solved the driver issue.
2) I then installed my MagicJack onto a different Windows XP machine and copied the MagicJack installation folder (i.e. C:\Documents and Settings\UserXYZ\mjusbsp folder) to a Flash Drive (70MB is large enough ... I tossed a cheap 1GB flash drive at it) and inserted the Flash Drive into the T5700 (permanently).
3) I added magicjack.exe (from the mjusbsp folder) to the machine's startup folder and everything works great. I can power up the T5700 and make / receive phone calls via the MagicJack.

I did all of this with the default XP image that came with the T5700 (i.e. no re-imaging required).
Diggs

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you were able to make it work for you. Keep an eye on your free space on the flash drive. Things tend to get unstable if it drops below 15 MB or so. And if MJ ever does an upgrade that requires more than the amount of free space you have then you may face problems again.

Good luck.
GeorgeLazenby
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: A mechanical KVM switch will likely disable the MJ. Reply with quote

dtm wrote:
I bought a cheap KVM switch to switch between the TC and my old desktop it is sitting beside. It works OK and frees up a USB slot to boot.

Just an idea for you guys.

If your MJ Plus is connected to one of your computers (rather than powered by the wall plug adaptor), a mechanical KVM switch will likely disable the MJ, because the MJ does not like you disconnecting and reconnecting your keyboard. I learned the hard way, and MJ techs say their is no solution. I'm only dealing with restarting the MJ every time while I wait for my replacement power adaptor. Unfortunately, while I'm on my non MJ computer... the MJ is out of commission because the KVM has shut it down!
Thunder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if its just related to the plus. I have run my Regular MJ this way for over 3yrs and have never had a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: