magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DTMF TONES MAY NOT WORK PROPERLY ON NEW 2014 MJ+

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: DTMF TONES MAY NOT WORK PROPERLY ON NEW 2014 MJ+ Reply with quote

It seems that at least some of the early adopters of the new 2014 MJ+ device are reporting failure when trying to navigate through telephone systems' "menu" trees that require pressing digits to generate DTMF tones.

At least one consumer has hypothesized that this inability of the new MJ+ to properly generate and/or transmit DTMF tones suitable for such purposes may be due to the manner in which it processes audio to produce its "hd" audio effect. And this new MJ+ device may not be the only "hd audio" VOIP device to have this problem.

- Something to be mindful of and keep an eye (or ear) out for...
fjawodfc
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the same problem that I reported in a couple of posts, it works fine plugged into the PC but not directly to the router. The tone for the first digit in a sequence contains a brief stutter so that the automated system "hears" the digit twice and 1234 becomes 11234. This makes it completely useless for dialing into the conferencing system at work where I have to enter a conference ID. I'm returning my MagicJack Plus before the end of the trial period if there's no news of a fix in the next week or two.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fjawodfc wrote:
If it's the same problem that I reported in a couple of posts, it works fine plugged into the PC but not directly to the router. The tone for the first digit in a sequence contains a brief stutter so that the automated system "hears" the digit twice and 1234 becomes 11234. This makes it completely useless for dialing into the conferencing system at work where I have to enter a conference ID. I'm returning my MagicJack Plus before the end of the trial period if there's no news of a fix in the next week or two.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a "fix" if I were you. In fact, I wouldn't wait even one day before returning it, let alone a "week or two."
ApolloTN
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
fjawodfc wrote:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a "fix" if I were you. In fact, I wouldn't wait even one day before returning it, let alone a "week or two."

I had this problem also with my new 2014 MJ+. I was lucky I guess, and after chatting with the tech support, the rep was able to fix my problem. The customer support rep said they changed a server setting on their end which allows me to use touch tone dialing such as for a banking system.

For anyone else, my MJ was plugged in directly to my router, and I had to unplug it, and replug it in as instructed by the support rep. My touch tone problem was only a problem with my physical phone itself. If I used the dialpad, it worked. But as I said above, now it works after contacting the support rep online who stated they changed a server setting.

I tried to get more information from the support rep about what exactly they did to fix it, but I couldn't get any more information from them. Maybe someone else can, and explain it for everyone else. But at least if you're reading this, you know it can be fixed if you contact support.
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also fixed this problem on my 2014 mj plus when I contacted chat support.Same solution as ApolloTN described.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I take back my recommendation that people return their NEW MJ+'s - the company surprised us and was actually prepared to take care of the DTMF problem. I'm seeing flying pigs Wink Maybe they really WILL eventually have something for those SD and USB ports, too.
Mayo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add something to this post.. Their customer support does fix the tones but, they tones do not stay fixed. In time the tones will stop working and you will have to talk to customer service and get them to re-fix your tone agian and again and again and again .. So if you consider that a fix it does work but for me it was a waste of my time especially after having to do it about 6 times a year... And wondering ever time I picked up the phone if the tones were rebroken agian, and if I could buzz the mail guy in today or if I would have to go down my 15 stories to let him in .... In my opinion this is not worth the hassle..I rewlly dislike the shittiness of mj+ 2014... Stick with mj+2012
user659
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try turning off SIP in the ALG section of your Router's Firewall settings.Worked for me for my MGGO.
rlstites
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Anyone tried change Wifi channels to get around the beeping? Reply with quote

I have been a user for 4 years and caller on the other end hear lots of beeps. I am still searching for a cure for this as it works great otherwise. We have a Panasonic cordless phone system with 4 phones and connect to my router with a 7 foot Cat6 cable from the MJ plugged into an outlet in the wall. The phone base then plugs into the MG and an extension outlet.
So I will try turning off the SIP in ALG of Router Firewall if I can find it as the previous user suggests.
Someone elsewhere said that it could be that another wifi channel on the router would work better. Thoughts?
Any other solutions?
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: