magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Defective Jack. Please contact Support.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajayshantilal
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Defective Jack. Please contact Support. Reply with quote

Hello;

I have three MJ's

One of them working perfectly fine without any issues.

second - blue light turns on when I plug the magicjack- soft phone comes up but not workng - I have tried update, reinstalling, reformating any possible options that I can find. I get the following message on a registration page Defective Jack. Please contact Support. - Support is hopeless , tired of it can anyone else help me on this.

Third - When I plug in - blue lights come in for a flash second and disappears. I get a message
Found new hardware - A problem occured during hardware installation Your new hardware might not work properly. When I look at my computer I dont find MJ. so I cannot try any options at all, any recommendaion on what could be done.

Your help is much appreciated

Thanks,
Ajay
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you testing all three jacks (one at a time, of course) on the same USB port of the same computer? If not, can you try the failing jacks on the computer with the working one? If possible, use a rear USB port, without the USB extension cable.

Also, download and install this test program: http://tjnet.com/software/download/voip_drv_app/TjSetup1313.exe . Insert the MJ to be tested, kill the MJ app if it starts up, then start the test. For each MJ, does it show a plausible Vendor ID, Product ID, and Serial Number? Do the Ring Test and Audio Test work?
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been useful for me to be able to test them on different computers. My wife's desktop at home is in the study and where one of the MJ's is connected. However, I noticed her USB ports are sketchy. I've been having problems with the MJ connected to it for the past week, so I finally took it to the office to test on my laptop there. Works perfectly!

Forgot to mention, but it was having the same symptoms as your #3 MJ.

I'm planning on buying a powered USB hub to see if that helps the situation. If it does, I'll post the results.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post Script: Brought the one from the office laptop home (pre-March 8 version), plugged it in to the wife's computer and it fired right up. Tested the post-March 8 MJ and no bueno, as we say in L.A.

Not sure what it means, but it shows there is a difference. BTW, the spoofer doesn't work with either MJ or either computer since the "upgrade". Still foolin' around with it.
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
BTW, the spoofer doesn't work with either MJ or either computer since the "upgrade". Still foolin' around with it.
I don't have all the data yet, but I did determine that with the 20080612 upgrade, no RTP is sent when the proxy IP is 127.0.0.1, or when it is another IP address on the same interface. However, the spoofer did work when it was run on a public IP elsewhere on the Internet, or when it was on another PC on the local LAN. Of course, either of the above would make the system less reliable. I have not tried, but suspect that if your router handles hairpinning correctly (e.g. you can access a web server on your LAN via the WAN address), then forwarding UDP 5070 back to your PC, and pointing the hosts file to your WAN address will probably work. Please let me know if it works for you. (unfortunately, it would stop working if you have a dynamic IP and the address changes.) Be sure to have a reliable alternate way to make an emergency call.
ajayshantilal
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Hi Stewart Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to test.

I installed it and
1) for # 2 it seems to pass both ring test and audio test. I am attaching the image - what next
2) for # 3 it still doesn't recognize magicjack
GuyOnTheAir
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Confirmation of new version working with external Spoofer Reply with quote

I can confirm that with an upgraded mJ, you CAN use the spoofer softwares, as long as they are on another computer. This is the way I did it:

Decide what computer to install the spoofer program (I'm using 1.1). I used a computer already on my LAN.

Point all the proxy entries in my hosts file (previously pointed to 127.0.0.1) to the LAN IP of the chosen spoofer computer.

Start the spoofer on the chosen computer, and edit the "Local magicJack IP" to be the LAN IP computer with the mJ.

Make calls using *67X*XX-XXX-XXXX format.

Spoofing works, with newly updated magicJack upgrades.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
marcbarnes
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Someone Breakdown What GuyOnTheAir Just Said, Sorry I Direct Airplanes For The USAF And Have No Idea What He Is Talking About Thanks, I Can't Even Get The Spoof 1.1 Working Consistetly With The Downgrade Works Good For One Day Then The Next Day Can Receive Incomming Calls Gets A Busy, So In Short When It Comes To Computers Outside Of My Job I Am Just As Green As A Pool Table And 3 Times As Square...................
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Stewart Reply with quote

ajayshantilal wrote:
Thanks for the link to test.

I installed it and
1) for # 2 it seems to pass both ring test and audio test. I am attaching the image - what next
2) for # 3 it still doesn't recognize magicjack

Sorry for the slow reply. In the screenshot, you can see that the #2 unit has a fake serial number, presumably set during manufacturing test. It looks like there was a QC failure and a permanent unique SN (valid ones start with A921) was never uploaded to the device. I don't know a good workaround for this problem; it would be easiest if you can get it replaced.

IMO #3 has a hardware fault and also needs replacement. However, it's possible that it happens to draw a little more current than the others, and your USB port can't power it properly. If possible, try it with a powered USB hub, or on a rear USB port of another desktop PC, to confirm the failure.
aone999
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Dan gave me the solution Reply with quote

I was in a similar situation.

One of my 3 MJ's stopped working after serving faithfully for more than 7 months. I tried on 6 different machines, but same result. The blue light blips for a second and goes off. Windows says it could not recognize the device.

I had a chat with Support for a possible replacement, but they refused. the CSR said units will be replaced only during the first month of service if they are found defective. I almost lost hopes, bu took a chance.

I got Dan's email from this forum (no...plz dont PM me....search button is your friend). I e-mailed him describing the problem. I even mentioned that my account is expiring later this year and I was planning to buy the 4-year service.

Within few hours, I got a reply (from somebody else...but on the same email id) that he was asked by Dan to address the issue. He asked me to do some typical diagnostics. I replied that I already did all those but to no avail.

Again within hours, I got an email asking for my shipping address. I provided, and they confirmed they sent me a replacement and provided a tracking number too. It's on the way now.

I really appreciate the way Dan is taking his little product so serious. Despite few issues like call quality etc., I am a happy user overall and wish to remain so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: