magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing MJ Account Name

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
artanion
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Changing MJ Account Name Reply with quote

Sorry if this is not submitted correctly, this is my first time. Here's the situation

a)I bought a used MJ on E-Bay , It Works Great! but since I live in 816 area code and MJ phone # is a 773, I can handel this!

b) The previous owners paid time is now drawing to a close. I now need to renew, I could keep the same phone # and save $5.00, but I would now like to have the phone in my name not the previous owner.

c)Is the Account Name timed to the 911 info or is it tied to the MJ Dongle, I don't want to buy a new MJ just to change the account name to me. Or during the renewal process do I have the choice the then change the account name ?? any info would be appreciated!!!

d) Also have 4 to 5 PC's in my house running Windows 7 (64 and 32 bit) systems and it would be great to run MJ on these PC's without the USB Dongle but from recent posts its seems there is no current fix at this time due to upgrades to accomplish this or is there!!!! Help here would be cool also !!!! replys would be appriciated!!
JohnnyFreightTRAIN
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the magicJack� Terms of Service (TOS):

Quote:
7. No Resale

Unless expressly authorized in writing by magicJack, you agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, trade, resell or exploit for any purposes any portion of the magicJack device or the Software.

8. License

magicJack grants you a personal, non-transferable and non-exclusive right and license to use the magicJack device and Software on your computer.

There is a reason why it does not allow you to change the name registered on the account. The reason being is that when the magicJack� device is registered for the first time,
the person registering must agree to their Terms of Service (TOS) contract which forbids resale and grants the person who registered the device a non-transferable license to use their service.
Which means you are not permitted to give your magicJack� to anyone after you have registered it without violating the magicJack� TOS. You also are not permitted sell the device period without their permission.

If your magicjack is already used or registered to someone else that means you bought it from someone who is not a legitimate reseller and that person was not authorized to sell the magicJack� to you in the first place. You cannot change the name on the account because they do not allow you to. This is because the magicJack� device is non-transferable.

You can change everything else: the address, the email, etc. The only thing you can't change is the name once you register it is permanent. You'll just have to ignore it or buy a new magicJack�.
redunbar
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This business of not being able to change the account name is a piece of ridiculous nonsense. In my case, I originally bought the magicJack for my girlfriend at the time, then discovered that it wouldn't work on her computer and network connection. I then installed it on my own computer, and it worked fine, so I kept it. So I'm stuck with her name on my account. And what about a situation where a woman has a magicJack and marries, changing her name? For that matter, what if anybody changes their name, for whatever reason? This is a stupid, senseless policy, and it should be changed!
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For that matter, what if anybody changes their name, for whatever reason? This is a stupid, senseless policy, and it should be changed!

You will have to talk to Dan about that!. I bet he will listen...
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
black_icon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, according to them, their engineers are working on it and still working on it... Razz Let's hope for the best...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: