magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't hear outgoing calls but receiver's phone does ring.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murphy
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: nice... Reply with quote

jageorge72 wrote:
Ahhhh..... and to top it all off, everyone at my company is now laid off at the starting at the end of the week. So, I actually need to buy my landline service back.... at a time I am trying to cut bills.... because I can't send out resumes with my magicjack phone number since it is a completely unreliable P.O.S.!

I assume that you mean that you are going to fax your resume to prospective employers. That is not a good idea. A concise letter delivered by the Post Office is still the best way.
CharlieRC
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Same Problem Reply with quote

Just to let everyone know I am having the same problem. This just started a week or so ago. Everything used to work great. I noticed there was a software download the other day. I'll bet MJ has a software bug. Evil or Very Mad
wils0nc
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Columbus OH and have the same problem. It has been a week or so. Interesting how the problem appears after you renew!!
docooo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started yesterday for me - only lasted 2 hr's - then all ok - and only
to certain area codes ..

So might want to try differant codes and see if that's a problem.

Doc
stmay
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on my situation. I tried again last night to bypass the router and bam the thing is working perfect now. The one number I've tried probably 25 times since last week without success worked 3 times in a row. I tried doing this before, but this time it seems to be working.

Is there something I need to do with my router? MJ has been working fine with it for probably 6 months up until last week. What might have changed? The other strange part is that I was able to make calls to my Mom and Dad's MJ. Why would it be working to them but to no one else? Any ideas?
TimSH
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having problems for the last 2 days with incoming calls. Outgoing calls seem fine My girlfriend's son has a MJ I bought for him because he gets 0 cell coverage at his place. He can get incoming calls, but outgoing is a problem. It's becoming evident that this is definitely not a problem on our end, but is an issue on the MJ side.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stmay wrote:
Is there something I need to do with my router?

The only way to know is to download/install Wireshark and perform two traces of MJ startup (with and without router). And, another two traces showing what happens with a successful call and unsuccessful call (with/without router).

You should do these traces with nothing else running. Not even a browser open. (That will minimize unrelated network activity being captured.).

If you can't decipher the captures, you can email them to me at [email protected]. PM me if you do. I don't monitor that email address unless someone tells me they sent something. Be warned that a network trace can contain personally identifying (even sensitive) information. You shouldn't send a trace to anyone unless you trust them.

stmay wrote:
The other strange part is that I was able to make calls to my Mom and Dad's MJ. Why would it be working to them but to no one else?

Maybe when you place a call to them it is routed to a different MJ region's proxy/vms servers and terminated to the telephone exchange there. If that region isn't suffering problems like another region, you might notice different behavior(?).

Mark
stmay
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I may give the trace a shot. I noticed that after I hooked my router up, I was able to make one call before the problems started again. I tried turning off some options on my router and as soon as I turned off the router's firewall, I was able to make and receive calls from the number I had been having the majority of my problems with. I thought disabling the firewall was a temporary work around, but then I got a call from one of the neighbors on his cell phone and his land line, and I was unable to talk to him either way. Just dead silence. It seems odd that I was finally able to complete a phone call to the number I had been trying since last Thursday, but almost immediately noticed the problem from someone else.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stmay wrote:
I tried turning off some options on my router and as soon as I turned off the router's firewall, I was able to make and receive calls from the number I had been having the majority of my problems with.

Which router brand/model? Newer Linksys routers are known to have buggy firmware. MJ doesn't initiate any connections to the client computer. So, opening ports or disabling a firewall shouldn't be necessary. But, with a buggy router it may be.

Not sure why it would start. But, if I recall correctly, there were users of newer Linksys routers who worked fine, and then it wouldn't work until they disabled their firewall (put their router in DMZ mode). As if something about MJ's traffic changed enough to cause the router's buggy firmware to stumble.

If you can really start/stop the problem by enabling/disabling the router, it may not worth the effort of tracing the traffic with Wireshark. (Unless you have overly restrictive firewall rules which prevent internal-to-external access.).

Mark
lunavic50
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow whats funny is I am having the same exact problem.... 4 out of five times when I make or receive a call the party on the other end I can not hear......

Just started happening and I thought for a second it was because the cable company came and swapped out my old modem that had their phone service through it for one that did not

Now that I think of it my software says its from March 4 and thats exactly when this started happening.

Is there any way to get back to an older version of the software?
stmay
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My router is a Linksys, but it's an older WRV54G. I'm not using DMZ. I tried turning it on, but it didn't seem to make any difference. My Mom called me a bit ago and she's been having nothing but problems with her's as well. The weird thing is that I talked to her for maybe 5 minutes just fine. Hung up and she called back 2 minutes later and there was nothing but silence. I'm not convinced disabling the firewall really had anything to do with it working a few times, but it was just strange that it worked when I turned it off, didn't when I turned it back on, and then worked once I turned it off again. I still have it off at the moment, but it seems like I'm still having issues.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stmay wrote:
I'm not convinced disabling the firewall really had anything to do with it working a few times, ... I still have it off at the moment, but it seems like I'm still having issues.

It's probably not related to the router.

I started experiencing the same problems today with the Phx proxy. Outgoing calls completed but I could hear nothing. Calls to voice mail went back to dial tone. An hour later the problems stopped. An hour later they returned.

Probably Dan "experimenting" again.

Mark
MyOwnMJ
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be the actual MagicJack device itself that for some reason is malfunctioning. The reason I say this is because my friend has a Magicjack that is experiencing the same problems. I also have a Magicjack, but so far it still works fine, even on her computer.

If the problem was from an UPDATE, I'd think that my Magicjack would be messed up by now too.

Her and my devices are the same generation Magicjack (gen 2). Only she got hers a few months before me.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyOwnMJ wrote:
I think it might be the actual MagicJack device itself that for some reason is malfunctioning.

Use a headset and softphone to confirm that the problem disappears. If so, maybe it's the device.

In my case, I use the softphone with a headset, and I run "dongleless." I started having the described problem today.

Mark
lunavic50
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a bit uncanny that theres allready 3 threads 2 of which started today with people pileing up with the same exact problem.... Ive tried everything possible. and I mean everything... Its my opinion this is a update prob... a bug on their end

too many people at the same time having the ecaxt same prob
lunavic50
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys might want to try this....

Ive made 4 calls and all is well so hopefully this guy nailed it... Its late here so I cant pester anyone else to see if its really fixed... but so far so good

I talked to a tech and I seem to be all fixed up

heres what he said

---------------

Chat InformationPlease wait for a site operator to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Lex'

Lex: Hello, how may I help you?

Victor: hi

Lex: Hi Victor

Victor: I think that your latest update has caused an issue with many users of magic jack

Victor: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/technical-support-f7.html

Victor: many having the same prob that started at the same time

Victor: cant hear the caller but they can hear me

Victor: and ive tried everything

Victor: are you guys getting alot of this sorta complaint?

Lex: I see.

Victor: I mean its like 4 out of 5 calls this happens when yesterday everything was fine

Lex: May I have your magicjack phone number please?

Victor: xxx*xxx*xxxx

Lex: Thank you for that information.

Lex: One moment please...

Lex: Thank you for holding Victor.

Victor: no prob

Lex: Are you also experiencing the same problem as of the moment?

Victor: yes

Victor: started yesterday

Lex: Okay.

Lex: Did you run the upgrade yesterday?

Lex: I see.

Lex: You are on xp right?

Lex: okay.

Lex: Click Start

Lex: Click Control Panel

Lex: f your Control Panel is in Category View, double-click Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices

Lex: f not, go directly to the step 4

Victor: okay im in sounds and audio device properties

Lex: Double Click on Sounds and Audio Devices

Lex: Click the Audio tab (the middle one)

Lex: Under both Sound Playback and Sound Recording, select your default audio device (the one you want to use) from the drop down menu

Lex: Click the box labeled Use Only Default Device" (located in the bottom left corner of the window)

Lex: Click Apply and OK

Victor: ok

Lex: Is it done now?

Lex: Okay Please restart your magicjack. On your dial pad click on Menu>advanced Users>>Restart.

Victor: well the good news is that before I restarted it I made 2 calls and all was well both times

Victor: just restarted so Ill try and call someone else

Lex: Please do.

Victor: well its 11:30 pm where I am but I got to tell I just bothered someone else and it worked fine

Victor: wow I guess you have to find the right tech lol

Lex: That's great

Victor: your like #3 today

Lex: Is there anything else I may help you with today?

Victor: Ill spread the word

Victor: no thanks and... thanks alot

Lex: Thank you for the compliment.

Lex: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again!

Lex: Have a wonderful evening.

Lex: Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey wil
stmay
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lunavic50 wrote:
I think its a bit uncanny that theres allready 3 threads 2 of which started today with people pileing up with the same exact problem.... Ive tried everything possible. and I mean everything... Its my opinion this is a update prob... a bug on their end

too many people at the same time having the ecaxt same prob

Yeah, I'm going to give up troubleshooting this on my end. I started having problems last night even with the computer plugged directly into the cable modem. It's got to be a problem on their end. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for any of the issues.
lunavic50
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Ive made several phone calls today and to my surprise I think the tech in my above post nailed it.. I am once again somewhat happy with my magic jack. I strongly suggest people to follow what the almighty Lex suggests...

Its now working ..
MeDiCo_BrUjO
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lunavic50 wrote:
well Ive made several phone calls today and to my surprise I think the tech in my above post nailed it.. I am once again somewhat happy with my magic jack. I strongly suggest people to follow what the almighty Lex suggests...

Its now working ..

Didn't work for me, sorry.

I have 4 computers in the house and it behaves like that in each one of them.

Two computers have Vista and there's no option to perform those steps in that OS.
lunavic50
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows Vista:
1. Go to Start > Control Panel
2. In Control Panel, select the option that says Hardware and Sound
3. Under the listing for Sound, select Manage Audio Devices
4. Under Recording and Sounds tabs, you will find all available devices. To set a default device, right click on one of them and select Set as Default Device.
lida
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: from tech Reply with quote

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

Chat InformationAll operators are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. An operator will be with you shortly.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Ethel'

Ethel: Hello, how may I help you?

dan: HelloMy phone is not working I can not hear the person on the other end. I have win xp

Ethel: Hello Dan ,how are you?

dan: busy did you read my question

Ethel: Yes, Dan.

Ethel: I apologize for the inconvenience. Let me assist you with that.

Ethel: May I have your magicJack number, please?

dan: 713

Ethel: Thank you,.

Ethel: Please wait while I check that for you

Ethel: Is your magicJack plugged in the USB port at the back of your tower/unit?

dan: yes

Ethel: Do you have your dial pad on your screen?

dan: yes

Ethel: Please go to Menu and then click on Advanced User and then click on Restart.

dan: i have done that 3 times so far in the last 30 minutes. there are many people with mj that are having the same problem this is on your end and needs to be fixed i have another mj that is doing the same thing

Ethel: I do apologize for the inconvenience, Dan.

Ethel: We are doing some upgrades, our engineers are working to get them completed as fast as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.
stmay
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing upgrades, huh? For a week. This problem started for me last Thursday and I continue to get more ticked each day. My mom's MJ is now not working at all either. We are both in Columbus.

On a positive note the weather is a lot better so i don't have to completely freeze when I have to go outside to make a phone call on my cell phone. Surprised
gaftop1
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unplugged magicjack, start,search, all files and folders, magicjack, deleted all found, replugged magicjack.
don't know if it's coincidence or not but it works now
rclakeanna
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Can't hear outgoing calls but receiver's phone does ring. Reply with quote

It seems like the mute is on, can hear dial tone but when I call out it seems to go dead?? I have had th MJ for about 6 months without any major problems but now I cannot use it.
MeDiCo_BrUjO
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't hear outgoing calls but receiver's phone does ring Reply with quote

rclakeanna wrote:
It seems like the mute is on, can hear dial tone but when I call out it seems to go dead?? I have had th MJ for about 6 months without any major problems but now I cannot use it.

If it was the mute function then you would be able to hear the other end but they wouldn't be able to hear you. This problem is backwards.
Mimon
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: DITTO Reply with quote

same problem here too,around the same time frame as the others,dialing&redialing multiple times and maybe around the 20th attempt it might ring to the PH# i tried to dial,
I don't even bother to use their "tech support" either since they are a bunch of nitwits . I tried most of the suggestions here,and none of them worked,I too am also convinced it's on or in their infrastructure as well .

Last edited by Mimon on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: DITTO Reply with quote

Mimon wrote:
I too am also convinced it's on or in their infrastructure as well .

I'm wondering if it's a deliberate tactic to shake out users (to reduce the oversold, overloaded condition). As has been mentioned before, Dan's brilliance is preselling what sounds like nirvana, and frequently proves to be a nightmare. He clearly states there are no refunds. Therefore, Dan has more incentive to get customers to leave than he does to stay.

Think about it. It's not like Dan has a reputation to protect. He's already shot his reputation to smithereens. Every indication from Dan is that he has absolutely no regard for his reputation. So, a bunch of unhappy customers would do what to his reputation that already hasn't been done?

If he gets a bunch of people to switch to Skype, all he's done is kept their money without having to deliver services.

Once those customers are shaken out, Dan gets to start the "It's as easy as 1-2-3..." routine.

Mark
snowbug
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

I am having the same problem since several days ago. The mute might even happen in the middle of a conversation. This virtually render the service unusable. I was dial into a conference call and all the sudden I won't hear anything. And when I dial again, I hear nothing after punch in the numbers.

Restarting didn't work for me and I had to plug it into a different USB port. But the problem will come back after a random period of time.

I just made the change mentioned above by checking the "only use the default devices". So far so good, will see.
newbie513
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having better luck today, I'm running my MJ as a service and using a powered USB port but the key is to keep usb power adapter plugged up.
wils0nc
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything seems to be working fine now without having to do anything. They may have fixed MJ. Is this true for anyone else???
gillist419
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've done some test calls to see how things are doing.
I'm still on my default proxy (Columbus).

Calls dialed out: My first 4 calls dialed out with no problem. On the 5th call out, I couldn't hear anything.

Calls dialed to: My first 5 calls dialed to MJ with no problems. On the 6th call to, I couldn't hear anything.

I'm starting to have better luck. Before I would have to make or receive 4 or 5 calls before it would work.

My fingers are crossed that they sort out this problem. Even if it is something that only happens once or twice out of ten calls, it may be worth it to pay the $20 to keep my phone # that everyone knows. I could then port my number to a new service, or just forward the number to a new number.

Also MJ is saving me money, even if I don't make or receive one phone call. I have satellite T.V. (Dishnetwork) and they require you to have a phone line plugged into the back of the receiver or they will charge you $5 a month if you don't. So $5 x 12 months = $60 - $20 for MJ = $40. MagicJack pays for itself and saves me $40 a year.
armona29
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Same problem I am having Reply with quote

For the past 2 weeks I have a problem dialing out using softephone with MJ. Everytime I make a call I have to pray and hope the call will go through. When the session starts if I don't hear the rining tone the person I am calling picks up the call and they can not hear me and I can not hear them. So, the call becomes a crank call and it is very bad for my business. After trying again the second or third time I may be able to hear ringtone and get the call through. I believe something happen with the new UPGRADE.EXE MJ released that missed up MJ. I have had MJ over 6 months now and did not have any issues as such. Any idea and fix if avilalbe is greatly appriciated. I have chatted with tech support of MJ and they asked me to toggle between the headset and telephone set, that did not work. Also, they had be to format MJ drive and start fresh without my contact list, and that did not work either.
JoelIrwin
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read somewhere here that all you do is go into mj options and change the volume to about a third (from Max). I had the problem you described and doing this fixed it.
MeDiCo_BrUjO
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoelIrwin wrote:
read somewhere here that all you do is go into mj options and change the volume to about a third (from Max). I had the problem you described and doing this fixed it.

It is not the same problem. If it was a volume issue then you would be having the problem with ALL the calls and not just with random calls.

This solution does not work with this problem.
jros
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Still waiting for the Magic Bullet. Reply with quote

I've been having the same issues with my MJ service here in Austin, TX for about a week. No audio on outgoing calls and no mic on incoming. My Voicemail quit on me as well so that noone is able to leave messages. The voicemail picks up and then just stops recording after about 3 seconds. Then I get an email with a 0:00 message.

I've read through the issues others are having around the rest of the country and have come to the conclusion that they're having issues with their network. One of the support people actually told me as much. I've done all the fixes recommended by their chat support as well as the ones I've found on this forum (volume trick and default audio devices trick) to no avail. Still waiting for the Magic Bullet.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you may be a candidate for an account reset. I'm afraid it's one more trip to MJ chat for you, my friend.
jros
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Account reset? Like where they wipe out your voicemail? They've tried that a few times. Is there another account reset?
MeDiCo_BrUjO
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know about you guys, but my MJ is better now and I haven't moved a finger since my first post.

So it seems that I was not mistaken after all, the problem was on THEIR end and not on my computer/dongle.

What about the rest of you?, is it working right now?.

Comments please.
stacer26
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read all these posts, I am having the same problem. I went into my control panel and did the changes in there as suggested above, I still cannot hear anything when I place an outgoing call, I can hear the dial tone, the phone dialing and once the receiving end picks up, just silence. I have been calling my cell phone to test it. Nothing! Very frustrating....
cdwaldron

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacer26, Try a different USB port, perhaps even on a different machine. I thought I had the link for the WIKI book site for the MJ Wiki which has lots of suggestions for this problem. Unfortunately I can't find it. Do a search for posts by user AZ2008, the author of the wiki, as I know he cites it frequently. Good Luck.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comment that provoked me to recommend an account reset is the one that says that voice mail stopped taking messages. That is clearly outside the scope of how the softphone/dongle/your ISP can mess with the service, hence the recommendation.
snowbug
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Still have the problem Reply with quote

After almost a week, still have the same problem. Tried different computer / USB ports, tried the default audio device setting, it still works randomly. This is such a frustrating issue that I am looking for alternative VoIP services now.
Mimon
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Still have the problem Reply with quote

Quote:
After almost a week, still have the same problem.

Some of the posters here think that they're doing maintenance on their network systems and servers, (that's also my conclusion,but since they keep you in the dark about it ,who really knows ) although my unit is functioning normally now ( I think that the audio has improved too,as far as the "wow & flutter"="choppy sound" go ) might just be the system maintenance work in your region that is still in progress ? Hopefully you'll have the service restored soon , It isn't easy ,but be a little more patient , And don't rule out a defective MJ either ,my first one crapped out on me the first week I've had it ,and after playing some verbal football with those morons at their chat support , They agreed to send me a working unit (July -08 ) that was working just fine until the epidemic, that affected a lot of folks in my region. It would be courteous of them to use that stupid spam banner once in a while to keep us a better informed about their systems status.
stmay
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things seem to be better this week. I've a had a couple issues, but everything has been working for the most part.

It would be nice if there was some sort of network status somewhere and at least they would acknowledge a problem. At least we would know when they were having problems and wouldn't have to spend hours troubleshooting it on our end.
snowbug
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems there are lots of problems with MJ network. Now I can't call my phone. There is no ring, and the VM does not kicks in after 4 rings...

This is major network issue with MJ and I wonder how many people are affected... Maybe not that many people are using it? Otherwise they should be flamed for this problem.
heida11
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Can't hear also Reply with quote

Have had MagicJack since beta.

I applyed the latest magicfix and the default audio fix.
Made one phone call just great but that was it.

Has reverted back to the problem where it will ring two times, the call timer goes to 00 and begins counting again.

When the call timer goes to 00 everything is silence.

Also noticed that the telephone panel has "USB audio device" grayed out
but the headset panel has AC97 audio which is my default.

Restarting does not help.

Everything was working fine until the last upgrade.

Same results on 3 computers (XP O/S).

Is there a way to get to Magic Jack management to have this corrected?
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dongle may have gone bad. Your comment about the grayed out USB audio device box seems to indicate that the dongle has enough life in it to announce itself as an audio device, but not enough life in it to initialize and start working.
heida11
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Volume/headset control menu item Reply with quote

To be clear this is what I have:
My default audio device is Realteck ac97 Audio

Please advise if the devices listed below are incorrect.

When selecting the Volume/Headset Control option

Choose your device-
When the Telephone Radio Button is selected the devices listed are:

Speaker/Earpiece - USB Audio Device (grayed out)
Microphone - USB Audio Device (grayed out)
Rining - USB Audio Device (grayed out)

Whe the Headset/Other Radio Button is selected the devices listed are:

Speaker/Earpiece - Realteck ac97 Audio
Microphone - Realteck ac97 Audio
Rining - Realteck ac97 Audio

I haven't had to look at at the settings for a long time so I want to be sure
what is listed is valid.
I though Realteck ac97 Audio would be listed for BOTH Telephone and Headset devices.

Thanks.
Spade
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Possible Fix from MJ Reply with quote

Seems to be working for now - I will edit this post or delete it, if it ceases to work.

Crapped out of me again. Not a fix, I believe this problem goes beyond a local PC, or they don't have a fix for their upgrade...

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Imarie'

Imarie: Hello, how may I help you?

Spade: I am 1 of the customers who has that audio problem that has been going on for the last 2 weeks (because of the upgrade). I have been doing research and this is a KNOWN problem for this device. Do you have any helpful information or a fix yet..?

Imarie: How are you, Spade?

Spade: Yes

Imarie: I do apologize for the inconvenience, please allow me to assist with your issue.

Imarie: Please download the DivX Player from www.divX.com .

Spade: I already have it ...

Imarie: Click the �Start� button then �Settings� then �Control Panel� then go to �Internet Options�, under �Privacy� tab, slide the bar down to �Accept all cookies� and click the �Advance� button under �Privacy� tab and make sure that the �Override Automatic Cookie Handling� box is not checked.

Spade: Done

Imarie: Under �Security� tab, click on �Trusted Sites� then click the �Sites� button. Uncheck the box at the bottom left of the window that says �Require Server Verification�.

Imarie: Type the following address into the text bar, reg.talk4free.com then click the �Add� button, and also type in the following address, my.magicJack.com and click �Add� then �Close� then �OK�.

Imarie: Kindly unplug the magicJack and plug it back after 2 minutes.

Spade: Unlpugged... I will wait for a few minutes.. To be curious why would we need the divx player?

Imarie: That is for your audio issue.

Spade: Right - You asked to get the player and not the codec.. Does not make sense to me.

Imarie: Yes, we only need the codec.

Spade: right

Imarie: Inform me if you have the dial pad up.

Spade: dial pad is up...

Imarie: Is it "ready to call"?

Spade: yes

Imarie: Try to test it now.

Spade: Sorry - Still no audio when it connects...

Imarie: Okay.

Imarie: Click on "Start" button then click "Run" then type "devmgmt.msc" then click "Ok".

Spade: done

Imarie: Click on Device Manager.

Imarie: Click the + sign next to Sound, video and games Controllers then see if you can find USB Internet Phone by Tigerjet in there.

Spade: it's not there "I assumed they wanted this removed"

Imarie: Click the + sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers and see if you can find USB Internet Phone by Tigerjet.

Spade: not there "I assumed they wanted this removed"

Imarie: Go to start in windows, Select "Run" and then type "dxdiag.exe" and click "Ok".

Imarie: Let it run its diagnostics and then when it is done, click "exit".

Spade: done

Imarie: Please click the link to download and run the magicJack upgrade (applicable for both XP & Vista):

Imarie: http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe

Spade: I upgraded 3 to 4 times already, you want me to do it again?

Imarie: Yes, then inform me if you have the dial pad again.

Spade: alright - I tried to call out now (before the upgrade), and it worked. That is the problem with this issue, it is intermittent. Their's no real way of knowing if the testing is working. I will peform the upgrade again now anyway...

Imarie: Okay.

Spade: We have the keypad again

Imarie: Don't worry we already run a diagnostic in your system so your audio issue is all fixed now.

Spade: you think that should have fixed it?

Imarie: Yes, that's because of the diagnostic.

Spade: hmm - I will keep an eye on it and contact you back if it still does not work...

Imarie: Thank you for your time, Spade.
jros
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Audio problem still occurring in Austin, TX Reply with quote

I haven't had luck with any of the fixes listed here. I decided to just have all calls forwarded to my cell phone and wait for MJ to sort it out on their end. But it's going on two weeks of this for me. And still no resolution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: