magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Can I use prepaid phone cards with magicjack?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winter32842
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Can I use prepaid phone cards with magicjack? Reply with quote

I was able to use my prepaid phone cards to call other countries before yesterday. Every time, I call phone cards' access number (local number) it says "to call conference or platform, please visit us at magicjack.com/prepaid and add prepaid minutes"

I talk to customer service (she was very rude and did not know what she was talking about), she said magicjack does not allow one to use prepaid phone cards.

The access number is local number. I don't see what's magicjacks problem for not letting me call other countries with phonecards, it is a local number.

I heard that blocking local prepaid number access is illegal especially if one has unlimited local calling plan.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicJack have their own prepaid international phone minuets plan, no doubt they block access to other prepaid/card providers for that very reason. Sad
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used alternate long distance providers with MJ without problems. You may want to try other providers/ prepaid cards.
Honestly, prepaid cards are a rip off. There are better alternatives.
Vicb620
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: File complaint with FCC Reply with quote

"In the past, of course, the FCC has indicated that it's a violation of federal rules to disallow phone calls to get through just because you don't like the numbers being dialed, and it seems that when you promise people free unlimited local and long distance phone calls throughout the US, then you need to live up to that promise." ~ Tech Dirt [http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090904/1449236112.shtml]

I am filing a complaint with the FCC. I suggest anyone that has this issue to file a complaint with the FCC. I had a live chat with a rep from Magic Jack and was told I needed to use their international calling plan. I told them that no where in the FAQ does it state that a prepaid calling card cannot be used and should have been disclosed. They said their plan is best and affordable. I told them I had a couple of calling cards that worked for me, did not rip me off and I paid .02/min to call Cali, Colombia compared to their .05/min.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colombia Landlines Cali 1.3
Bogota, Medelin 1.5
Barranquilla, Cartagena, Manizales, Pereira, All Other Landlines 2.8
Armenia 3.8
Lex Telecom 16
Mobiles Comcel 5
Tigo 5.9
All Other Mobiles 7.9

The above rates are from Localphone .com. Not an idiotic calling card with a miserable call quality which usually charges much more than they advertise.
Check them out. You can use them just for international calls or as a SIP provider for your phone service.
Ruejo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: File complaint with FCC Reply with quote

Vicb620 wrote:
"In the past, of course, the FCC has indicated that it's a violation of federal rules to disallow phone calls to get through just because you don't like the numbers being dialed, and it seems that when you promise people free unlimited local and long distance phone calls throughout the US, then you need to live up to that promise." ~ Tech Dirt [http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090904/1449236112.shtml]

I am filing a complaint with the FCC. I suggest anyone that has this issue to file a complaint with the FCC. I had a live chat with a rep from Magic Jack and was told I needed to use their international calling plan. I told them that no where in the FAQ does it state that a prepaid calling card cannot be used and should have been disclosed. They said their plan is best and affordable. I told them I had a couple of calling cards that worked for me, did not rip me off and I paid .02/min to call Cali, Colombia compared to their .05/min.

Please visit
http://magicjack.com/faq/

How do I dial International Calls?
Can I make International calls from my cell phone through magicJack?

Note: In order to make International calls you need to purchase International Prepaid Minutes.

Note: Your prepaid miuntes expire after six months of inactivity.

@Vicb620
I hope you have the time to read the faq... Laughing
Ruejo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: File complaint with FCC Reply with quote

Vicb620 wrote:
I told them that no where in the FAQ does it state that a prepaid calling card cannot be used and should have been disclosed. They said their plan is best and affordable.

"To be able to dial International numbers, you must purchase prepaid minutes at my.magicJack.com."

This is an obvious statement that means, you cannot use a prepaid phone cards with magicJack because they have their own International Prepaid Minutes. Wink
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't you guys figured it out yet, MJ isn't subject to normal telco rules...

Plenty of problems with MJ but they certainly could give a hoot about how you make international calls with a calling card unless they decide to block a high-tariff number. Sounds like your problem

Alternative, try to find a different access number that is not blocked by MJ

might wanna try using a google voice account as well

CrackerJack

MagicJack Customer #73
MagicJack user since May 2007
MagicJack abuser since June 2007
"I gots mo' numbers than a Lotto machine!!!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: