magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Call Forwarding ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wgnweb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats worse than them taking the feature away is that it will come back, and when it comes back they are going to charge for call forwarding after getting you to purchase MagicJack with the assumption that it will have all the features it said it would on the box and on the internet.

My number porting just completed over to netTALK. It took one week and I did NOT pay magicjack $30 like they said I needed to do in order to complete the port.

I recommend anyone upset about what MagicJack has done with call forwarding to LEAVE. Go somewhere else. Go to netTALK or GV or Vonage or Ooma or wherever. AND DONT PAY THE $30 PORT OUT FEE, the port will go thru fine.
Totechnical
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Call Forwarding Reply with quote

Yes - I agree that what was done by MJ could be seen as bad business. The reality is, anyone you switch to will eventually do the same thing. What MJ did do wrong however, was take something away that is definitely needed for those customers who already use the call forwarding feature. They took no action to get in touch with customers that, should they ever need to shut it off, they would need to do - whatever they decided would make sense. Instead they simply took it out of the menu and left us hanging.

It is upsetting to everyone when a company does something to try and make more money. They run their percentages of how many people they will most likely lose, but in the end it's always a gamble. How many people currently use this option? Perhaps it's in the neighborhood of 10% in which case, they don't care if they leave. But if it's more than 50% then they just could go out of business by making this change.

I only ask that MJ and all these other Techno Businesses, think hard through all the permutations that can possibly exist before they make changes. I mean heck - look at Facebook - tell me they didn't piss off millions of people when they made changes to something that was supposed to be simple, fast and fun. Now it became a chore just to go on their site.
shushwap
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call forwarding still seem to work... I guess it is grandfathered for accounts that had it before...
telcoman
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through all of this as well and the other link works, but now calls that forward are delayed in cutting through. i get about 4 seconds of dead air before I can talk to the person and the caller id is always from one same 7 digit number (not 10)
vineyud
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack/call forwarding Reply with quote

Another scam by Magic Jack. Paid my annual dues two weeks ago. No one from MJ bothered to inform me that call forwarding was no longer available. Since then many "chats" with Magic Jack personnel make clear that their "chat" dummies are reading off a script and giving absolutely no information except to say call forwarding is being worked on by a "higher" department. I, for one, use call forwarding in my business and this unexplained bull**** has cost me!!!

Get rid of Magic Jack. There are a number of alternatives.
dstand
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Call forwarding Reply with quote

I too have 3 MagicJacks. One of them was recently converted to a Plus.
Last year all 3 had all the features working, but now all 3 of them have none of the features working. I called magicJack about 3 months ago and the said that call forwading was not available in my area and refused to explain why they were removed. They said to keep checking for when the call forward will be available. I have been checking often and today decided to call them again.
Here is the result of that call;

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Shauna'
Your Issue ID for this chat is ??????????????????
Shauna: Hello, how may I help you?
Dave: My call forwarding is no longer available
Shauna: Hi Dave
Shauna: May I have your mj number please?
Dave: ?????????
Shauna: Please wait while I check that for you
Dave: thanks
Shauna: You are welcome
Shauna: One moment please...
Shauna: Thank you for waiting unfortunately call forwarding is not available at this time. We do not have exact information when this will be come available again as we do not have access in our department but if this will be available again we will post this in our official web site and you may check your account from time to time if its now available in your tabs. But rest assured that will be available soon
Dave: I purchased my Magicjack with call waiting and forwarding and had it and used it and now it is not there
Dave: It has been taken from me
Shauna: I understand
Shauna: As for this time I cannot give you further information with regards to call forwarding as we do not have an update yet . I suggest that you just check your account at my.magicjack.com if that is now available in your tabs.
Dave: This is not acceptable. I want to talk with your supervisor
Dave: I went through this several months ago with the same result
Shauna: Do you have Iphone?
Dave: no
Shauna: Or any iDevice (iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch) like android phone?
Dave: no
Dave: My wife uses ipod
Shauna: However since call forwarding is not available this time. You may install a magicjack app in your ipod and using this you can make and receive calls thru that app wherever you are located even if you do not have your device with you.
Shauna: Click here for mj app
Dave: How will this allow me to get call forwarding
Shauna: It does allow you to call forward however that feature of magicjack you can used to make and receive calls thru your wife's ipod. Meaning even if you do not have the device with you just simply bring the ipod with you and open mj app that is installed in there and you will be able to make and receive calls. You can register your same mj number with your app installed in ipod
Dave: I have 3 different MJ and all of these have the features removed. I also suggested mj to a friend and he has the feature so why do I have this problem
Shauna: I understand that but as for this time call forwarding is not available
Dave: But it was available. I don't accept this
Shauna: I suggest that you check your account from time to time if its available in your tabs as rest assured that will be available soon
Dave: I want to talk with your supervisor. I don't intend to wait amy long to have this fixed
Shauna: Im afraid you will get the same answer Dave
Shauna: I mean you will get the same answer
Dave: How can you continue to offer these features when people are purchasing them and then take away these features without warning or reason
Shauna: I understand but as for this time we do not have an update when this will be available again as we do not have full access in our department
Shauna: Just check your account from time to time
Dave: I want to talk with someone who does have access Please commect me with your supervisor
Shauna: I believe that I have already provided you all the information needed; I would like to ask permission to end this conversation with you. Thank you.
Since we haven't heard from you, we must release this chat. Please click here should you need further assistance: www.magicJack.com/techchat
END of Call And she just disapeared

I now understand why most of us have lost these features while some continue to have them
After you purchase a five year plan which I did for all 3 MagicJacks they can stick it to you and you can't do anything about it.

I have now decided to file a complaint with the FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection. Who knows, mabe we still have purchasing rights.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dstand - Have you tried logging onto your MJ account via https://web08.magicjack.com/my/call-forwarding.html ? (I'm pretty sure that web.01 and/or web.04 would also work).
Jacked_Up
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: yes, slowly they are phasing out forwarding.. Reply with quote

They will definitely cut you off at renewal! No more forwarding!

Just happened to me, I only used my mj to forward to my Google voice land line, and as a back up if I ever needed it.

Maybe it's time to just kiss my old number goodbye, along with all the spam calls that come through it anyways. Gal is using their android service for her cell and seems to be working out well so far-but no calls when mobile of course.

Will have to wait and see what the final verdict is over the coming year.

I thought I needed to reactive an old jack for this to work, but found out it's not the case. I am checking out details with chat as I speak.

Last edited by Jacked_Up on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jacked_Up
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am shocked, they actually claim to be refunding me for renewing an old jack I thought I needed to be active to use for her android app! My god it must be a first time in history they have ever offered to refund an order? We shall see if it actually goes through! I thought they had zero refund policy?

Am very happy again, no more forwarding to my home line though, but instead plugged the jackplus into my obi110 so it rings the home phones anyways.

Found out I can actually set up a real voicemail message instead of that canned majicjack ad, so that works for me, goes to my email like google would have anyways, so I am back in business. Yay! Best of both worlds yet again.

Turns out the android app is a mere $10 a year for a "real" number, that's a bargain for sure! Seems to work well, gal just called me from a wireless hotspot at her school. I may need to buy a real cell phone some day if that's the case, mine I rarely use, an old prepaid junker.

She suspended her t-moblie for now -until she's working again and can afford it. Or maybe never! Perhaps a prepaid card for emergencies and she's all set!
YeeHaw!
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Yeah, the $10/year paid app deal can't be beat. And the funny thing is, using the app on an android or iOS device often seems to work better via Wi-Fi than even the MJ+ connected directly to a router does; the "trick" is to be sure to take the time to install it correctly the FIRST time (you'd be surprised at how many people don't do that). Consumer Cellular is currently offering refurbished iPhones and brand new Android phones for $100-$175 (no contract required; their service is on AT&T's network and NOT pre-paid, starting at $20/month (incl. taxes/fees) for 150 mins and an additional $5/month for more txt messages than you may ever need) - cool because then you only need one phone, use the MJ app on the phone when in Wi-Fi and use the cellular service only when not in Wi-Fi. Let's face it, even without call forwarding it's not *really* that big of a deal - just say in your MJ voicemail outgoing message that if the caller REALLY needs to get ahold of you right away they can try calling your cell number (just don't say the number in the message - anyone who really needs to get a hold of you that badly you'd have told them the number yourself), and if you happen to get a non-emergency call via cellular just don't answer it & call them back via the app if/when you're in Wi-Fi.

Heck, you can even set your MJ account to automatically notify you via text message of voicemail messages - you just set your MJ "voicemail notification via email" setting to your cellular network's text messaging email address instead of your "regular" email address, and the text message will state the phone number of the caller who left the message, your MJ number that received the message, and the length of the message. And if your cell phone and carrier's MMS service is compatible, you can set your MJ voicemail notification's email address to your carrier's MMS email address instead of its text messaging address and the voicemail message can be embedded within the message for playback (IF your phone and carrier's MMS service is compatible with .wav attachments).

I know FAR more people who pay extra for call forwarding on their regular landline and NEVER use it, as compared to people who actually use it. So if MJ thinks they're going to see people being willing to pay extra for it I think they might turn out to be VERY wrong.
atoz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Call forwarding Reply with quote

Just joint this forum, 1st time posting, hope I'm doing it right.

I read this topic a few times before registering. I'm really impressed of the postings here! Here's my experience:

Like all others, months ago call forwarding page disappeared when I log on MagicJack site. Their tech support gave me the same nonsense as in other postings. I read this forum and decided to take a chance. I renewed 1 year for a MagicJack & a MagicJack Plus on 12/2. Both are still forwarding fine. I could get to forwarding page by using the bookmark, not on the site.

I have 3 MagicJack, 1 MagicJack Plus, use forwarding A LOT. Also have a NetTalk Duo, which I don't use forwarding. If it gets too annoying, will switch to NetTalk Duo.
SCREWMAGICJACK
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Unacceptable Reply with quote

They just stopped talking to me:

You are now chatting with 'Reuben'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554087552251X
Reuben: Hello, how may I help you?
Joe: How do i forward my magicjack to a cell phone
Joe: I used to have it forwarded but when I renewed I no longer see this option?
Reuben: Please wait while I check that for you
Joe: I need to be able to forward or this is useless to me. It used to say free Forwarding all over the place.
Reuben: One moment please...
Reuben: I appreciate your patience.
Reuben: We understand how important the magicJack call forwarding feature is. However, the feature is unavailable at this time. We don't presently have any further details about this matter. We do expect the feature to be available again in the near future. Please check our website periodically for updates.
Joe: This is unacceptable. I rely on this for business calls. There was NO notification of this. I had it forwarded before I renewed my account it is gone.
Joe: I need you to return it to forward to a cell phone until I am able to do so myself.
Joe: Am I able to port this number out?
Reuben: Yes.
Reuben: In order to transfer a number on your magicJack to a new provider, eligible requests should be initiated by your new service provider, who will coordinate the transfer.
Your new carrier should request a customer service record for your account and we will send them your account information. You must provide your new carrier with your account password
As a courtesy, your account number is (2****7).
Joe: Can you please forward my number to the following cell phone: 3****** until I can port it out
Reuben: I apologize but call forwarding is not available.
Joe: When I purchased the service it was. That is what I paid for. You have to continue to offer it. I need to speak to a supervisor.
Reuben: One moment please...
Reuben: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
You are not currently in a chat session.
You are now chatting with 'Jocel'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554087552251X
Jocel: Hello. My name is Jocel. To better assist you, let me put you on hold while I read your previous chat/s. Thank you.
Jocel: Thank you for waiting, Joe.
Jocel: May I have your magicJack phone number?
Joe: ********
Jocel: Thank you.
Jocel: Please wait while I check that for you
Jocel: Thank you for waiting, Joe.

I am afraid, the Call forwarding is not available at this time, Joe.
Joe: How can it just dissapear without warning?
Joe: This illegal and unacceptable. I need you to forward it until I can port it over to another company
Joe: I rely on this for business. I want to speak to top person in your department
Jocel: We understand how important the magicJack call forwarding feature is. However, the feature is unavailable at this time. We don't presently have any further details about this matter. We do expect the feature to be available again in the near future. Please check our website periodically for updates.
Jocel: I believe I have provided all the necessary information that you need. I will end this chat now. If you have any other concern, please don't hesitate to chat us back. Thank you.
Since we haven't heard from you, we must release this chat. Please click here should you need further assistance: www.magicJack.com/techchat
You are not currently in a chat session.

I am thinking a class action law suit is in order here. Anyone know where the company is based out of?
thymesage
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Call Forwarding Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen... they stopped talking. I bought another Magic Jack for just the Call Forwarding feature. Here is the help chat conversation:

You are now chatting with 'Jaron'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554088595539X
Linda Coleman: I would like to use the Call Forwarding feature, but cannot see it on the menu
Jaron: Let me help you with that.
Please wait while I check that for you.
Jaron: Thank you for waiting.
Jaron: Actually, you can enable/disable the call forwarding feature in your account through my.magicjack.com under "Call Features" tab.
However, call forwarding is not available as of the moment.
I cannot provide a timeframe as to when it will be available but please do not worry as we are working on this matter as fast as we can.
Thank you for your patience and understanding with this matter.
Linda Coleman: It is advertised as working. I do not even see the option when I go to the Call Features tab
Linda Coleman: Should the call forwarding be showing on the Call Features tab?
Jaron: It will not show now as the call forwarding is not available as of the moment.
Linda Coleman: that's a big problem. I just purchased another MagicJack to use the number call forwarded to my cell phone. This new phone number is being printed on business cards.
Linda Coleman: Any suggestions on how to get around this issue?
Jaron: I am so sorry but there nothing I can do now about call forwarding.
Jaron: Since it is in the hands of our engineers.
Linda Coleman: Who can I talk to about the timing of when it will be working?
Linda Coleman: This is a big problem because I looked up this particular feature when I decided to buy another one.
Linda Coleman: If I knew this was not working, I wouldn't have bought it.
Jaron: I cannot provide a timeframe as to when it will be available but please do not worry as we are working on this matter as fast as we can.
Linda Coleman: Who can I talk to about the timing of when it will be working?
Linda Coleman: I AM worried.
Jaron: Only us.
Linda Coleman: Is your supervisor available?
Jaron: One moment please...
Jaron: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
You are now chatting with 'Chris'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554088595539X
Chris: Please do plugged in your magic jack plus device directly on your computer port so we can checked .
Linda Coleman: it is. I have not been able to make it work with the modem only.
Chris: This is Chris , a Higher Level of Support. I will be assisting you. How are you today?
Linda Coleman: I am frustrated.
Chris: To better assist you, please give me a little while to review your chat/s, thank you.
Linda Coleman: ok
Chris: unplug your magicJack, and wait atleast 1 minute before plugging it back in.
Linda Coleman: ok, it is unplugged
Chris: okay
Chris: plugged in back no
Chris: now *
Linda Coleman: It is plugged in and starting up
Chris: kay
Chris: okay *
Chris: try to make a call after one minute
Linda Coleman: It has been working fine.
Linda Coleman: I have no problem with it working.
Linda Coleman: I just need it to allow call forwarding as it was an advertised feature.
Chris: okay the call forwarding here on your account as of now is not yet available here on your account
Linda Coleman: Your website says that Call Forwarding is available on the Call Features tab. I don't have that option.
Linda Coleman: why isn't it available when the website says that it is?
Chris: I cannot give the exact info and reason why the call forwarding menu is no longer under the call features on your my.magicjack.com account . As this process is being done and handled by the proper department ,
Linda Coleman: this sounds like gibberish... I should have Call Forwarding because your website says I have it with Magic Jack Plus.
Linda Coleman: I bought another Magic Jack, and transferred another number from Verizon, because the website says that Call Forwarding is an automatic feature that comes with Magic Jack Plus
Linda Coleman: I've incurred additional expenses to make this happen, but there is no Call Forwarding working. When will it be working?
Chris: yes i know that and i Understand you but here now on your account the call forwarding is not yet available as os now rest assured that it will be available here on your account online as soon as possible
Linda Coleman: When is "as soon as possible"?
Linda Coleman: Who can I talk to about getting a refund until the Call Forwarding feature is available?
Chris: We use Tech Chat to better assist you. By using Tech Chat, we can send you instant upgrade links and run several diagnostic tests, that cannot be done over the telephone. We are also able to see where you are located, what OS and Internet browser you are using. Lastly we can see that your Internet connection is working too.This will provide the best Customer care experience and keep you most satisfied.
Linda Coleman: When is "as soon as possible"?
Linda Coleman: Who can I talk to about getting a refund until the Call Forwarding feature is available?
Chris: you want to cancel the mj plus service?
Linda Coleman: I bought the third one to be used for Call Forwarding. You have my money, and I don't have Call Forwarding. I don't see any other options.
Chris: as of now your call forwarding here onyour account is not yet available
Linda Coleman: I can see that. But your website says that it is. Is there something wrong with my account? Shouldn't I have Call Forwarding?
Linda Coleman: Here's what I copied from your website:
Chris: i dont have the exact info and device service system account info to view the call forwarding why it was not applied or available here on your account as of now
Linda Coleman: Your Question Can I use magicJack to forward calls to my cell phone? Category: All � Using magicJack Print Article | Email Link Answer YES, if available, visit http://my.magicjack.com and login to set up Call Forwarding. Click "Call Forwarding" under the "Call Features" tab and follow the prompts to check out. The call forwarding feature may not be used to forward calls to conference, platform and non-ILEC area telephone numbers.
Linda Coleman: That is the problem for which I need help. I need to know why it was not applied or available here on my account as of now.
Chris: I cannot give the exact info and reason why the call forwarding menu is no longer under the call features on your my.magicjack.com account . As this process is being done and handled by the proper department
Linda Coleman: Can I speak with them to find out why my account doesn't have Call Forwarding?
Chris: I believe that I have already provided you all the information needed; I would like to ask permission to end this conversation with you. Thank you.

Anyone have any ideas on where to go from here?
shushwap
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor... I picked up a Nettalk... Faxes and Cf work great
[email protected]
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is an outright fraud and abuse of customers who paid money to their garbage MagicJack product.

Folks pls go to other forums and review sites and tell the truth about this horrific scheme

Warn others, this is our duty, the duty of MagicJack victims
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, their website and ads have deleted all references to call forwarding for months now...
deltabox888
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Call Forwarding. Reply with quote

I've had my Magic Jack from the get go. I have their original one. I used this link here and was able to turn ON call forwarding. No prompts for payment or anything.

I tested it and it's working fine as of Feb 5th, 2013.

https://web05.magicjack.com/my/call-forwarding.html
Mazzie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: MJ STINKS! Reply with quote

Today I changed my MJ number from a 407 area code to a 928 area code and paid $10.48 for the privilege. I have had 2 MJ's for a couple of years and paid for 5 years. My old 407 area code was forwarded to my home phone, but now I have changed my number they have disabled that feature and will not give it back to me. It is only disabled in this account, my other account still has the feature. Here is the conversation I just had with one of MJ's robot's. I say robot's because they don't appear to be able to speak on their own, only throw out canned responses all the time.

You are now chatting with 'Alan'

Your Issue ID for this chat is X

Alan: Hello, how may I help you?

Marilyn: Hello Alan, how are you today?

Alan: I am good.

Alan: May I know the exact nature of your problem with full details please?

Marilyn: Alan, I have been a MJ customer for a few years now. I have always been able to forward my MJ number to my home phone, but today I changed my number, paid $10 for the privilege and now find that I am unable to forward my number anymore. I know that MJ is changing the forwarding to a pay system, however we are supposed to be grandfathered in to keep call forwarding for free if we are old customers, so therefore I should still be able to have my call forwarding. It was available when I purchased my MJ, therefore it should still be available for me now

Alan: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Marilyn: no worries

Alan: Please wait while I check that for you

Marilyn: If you come back and tell me that service is not available at the moment, I cannot accept that because it is still available for my other MJ account.

Alan: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.

Alan: We understand how important the magicJack call forwarding feature is. However, the feature is unavailable at this time. We don't presently have any further details about this matter. We do expect the feature to be available again in the near future. Please check our website periodically for updates.

Marilyn: You are not listening to me....I said...If you come back and tell me that service is not available at the moment, I cannot accept that because it is still available for my other MJ account.

Marilyn: I know that MJ is changing the forwarding to a pay system, however we are supposed to be grandfathered in to keep call forwarding for free if we are old customers, so therefore I should still be able to have my call forwarding. It was available when I purchased my MJ, therefore it should still be available for me now.

Alan: Yes, for your other magicJack account. But since the engineers already did started updating the call forwarding those who have not enabled call forwarding can not do so, since the upgrade is still on going.

Marilyn: But I already HAD the call forwarding feature until I CHANGED MY NUMBER today

Marilyn: My call forwarding WAS enabled

Marilyn: If I had known you were going to disable it I would NEVER have changed my number. I am an OLD customer and therefore we should still be able to use the call forwarding

Alan: And since the phone number was changed the the call forwarding was removed. That is a different phone number.

Marilyn: BUT IT IS STILL THE SAME ACCOUNT!

Marilyn: STILL THE SAME MJ PLUS

Alan: Yes, but different phone number.

Marilyn: Why don't you tell people on your website that the call forwarding would be disabled if you change your number????

Alan: Call forwarding is and was connected on the phone number.

Marilyn: It's not connected now, it won't call forward

Marilyn: Why don't you tell people on your website that the call forwarding would be disabled if you change your number????

Marilyn: If you had said that on your website I would not have changed the number

Alan: It wont call forward since it was already disabled.

Alan: Since you change the phone number.

Alan: And the option to do call forwarding right now is not available.

Marilyn: Of course it's not because now MJ is going to make people PAY for the privilege of forwarding their number. However, we are supposed to be grandfathered in to keep call forwarding for free if we are old customers, so therefore I should still be able to have my call forwarding. It was available when I purchased my MJ, therefore it should still be available for me now.

Marilyn: It should not matter that I changed my number, I am STILL an old customer.

Marilyn: I do understand that because I changed my number the feature was disabled, but it should NOT have been disabled

Alan: Then what do you want me to do in my end?

Marilyn: I would like you to please enable my account to be able to forward my number to my home phone, PLEASE

Alan: Call forwarding is the process of calling ONE PHONE number then the call be forwarded to another PHONE number.

Marilyn: I KNOW WHAT CALL FORWARDING IS.

Alan: So if you change the Phone number. That new phone number was not set up to do call forwarding.

Alan: So it is understood that the feature will not be available.

Marilyn: Before I changed my number, my old number was forwarded to my home phone, now I cannot do that and I would like to have that feature back.

Alan: That is understood.

Marilyn: Oh good, I am glad you understand that, so what is the answer to my question please?

Alan: I will be right with you.

Alan: You want the information be present on the website?

Marilyn: I believe that you can re-enable that feature on my account if you want to, however, MJ have told you that you must not do it. That I unfair and when I purchased my MJ this feature was available for free. Now MJ are trying to make people pay for it when they bring the feature back.

Marilyn: YES, it should be available on the website

Alan: I believe I have already said that the feature is unavailable.

Alan: So I can not enable the call forwarding.

Marilyn: you did, many times, but I believe I also said: Why don't you tell people on your website that the call forwarding would be disabled if you change your number????

Alan: But I will tell the engineers to add this information on the website.

Marilyn: engineers are not web site designers

Marilyn: And....you and I both know that will not happen

Marilyn: It's just another way to grab money from the customers. Well, it will backfire on MJ one day. Tell your employer that if there are no customers he will have NO business and if he keeps pissing people off, he will soon have NO CUSTOMERS.

Alan: I believe I have provided all the necessary information that you need. I will end this chat now. If you have any other concern, please don't hesitate to chat us back. Thank you.

Pendres
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Dissapointed Reply with quote

I have numerous MJs distributed all around the globe for friends and family and have acted as a free salesman for several years, referring customers. Not anymore!

Call forwarding is very important for me and I am not willing to pay a cent more before my 5 year contract is over.

One thing for sure, I will not buy anymore MJs or refer anyone to it.
Once my 5 years are over, I will switch to NetTalk which seems to be a better system overall.

MJ lost it's niche and I don't trust it anymore. Tolerated their support due to the low price, but not worth it anymore.
pnda1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Call forwarding feature. Reply with quote

I've had my MagicJack since 2009 when I moved from Ontario to British Columbia (Canada) I have replaced my home phone & haven�t looked back since. I purchased a MJ Plus in 2010 which allowed me to connect it directly to my home modem & plugged it directly into my home phone lines. Both are working great. The call forwarding feature disappeared from my reg. log-in page about a year ago, but I contacted them via a chat screen & they directed my to http://www.my.magicjack.com/call-forwarding.html I've not had a problem with it ever, nor has it been mentioned that this will be a chargeable feature. Not sure why some people are having trouble with this.
This is still the best priced home phone. I travel a lot, and even when I�ve been in Italy or Mexico (using any locale high speed internet) I�ve been able to call out & receive calls using my MJ on my Laptop. LOOOOOVE my MagicJack.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Call forwarding feature. Reply with quote

pnda1 wrote:
...I've not had a problem with it ever, nor has it been mentioned that this will be a chargeable feature. Not sure why some people are having trouble with this.

- YOU continue to have access to Call Forwarding because you are a long-time user. People who've just gotten MJ over the past year or so (I believe) do NOT have access to it, not even via the link you provided.

The "announcement" of the changes in this policy, including the dropping of Call Waiting as an included feature and anticipated charging by the minute for it was buried in the Terms of Service and online FAQ's. You'll notice that in the products' current marketing descriptions (on the main retail website etc.) that there's no longer *any* mention of Call Forwarding as an included feature, and the new Call Forwarding FAQ online states the anticipated per-minute charges for it *if and when* they ever get around to implementing it (in the meantime, newer customer accounts have NO access to the feature at ALL).

The TOS states that the company has the right to basically do whatever they want whenever they want in pretty much all regards, that there will not be ANY advance notice to consumers of any changes to the services or prices, that any changes will be specified in revised TOS, and that it's incumbent upon the *consumer* to keep abreast of changes to the TOS (i.e. the company will not make the effort to notify us of any changes to the TOS). It's pretty crappy to say the least. They *reportedly* have even dropped access to the feature on older accounts that have simply changed their MJ phone number.
CleverGuy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Call Forwarding feature with Magic Jack Reply with quote

I am an old engineer and by definition a problem solver.
The problem is so easy to solve about that forwarding issue, I don't know why it is becoming a problem for everybody. Dan is stupid, get around him and transfer all your phone numbers to google voice and keep only one MJ number, (the one you will not forward). After a while if everybody do it maybe he will understand that trying to play game with people is not good financially. If he wants to make more money, he should be upfront with people instead of fooling around with features. Then you save even more money by having only one MJ, as google voice is free. I forward all my number to the one MJ that I kept to answer the phone at home. I also attached the MJ apps to my cellular phone with the MJ number which uses Data communication. The cellular phone rings at the same time as the home phone. I have a 100 minutes plan with unlimited web (no contract and so cheap $30/month, so it becomes an unlimited minutes plan). The number of my plan is a dummy number as nobody will ever see it because i use my MJ number to call people and that is the one that people will see. OK I have no ID when I call, but is it important? PS if you call somebody using google voice you will use those minutes as it doesn't use data communication as default. One thing that is funny, if I am using wi-fi in the house, I don't even need a sim card in the phone to call or receive calls. So the Plan on my phone is only when I am travelling outside. Another funny thing I can call in Canada with no long distance fees from my cellular now. At least Dan did good with that apps because now I am saving a lot of money on my cellular bill going from $200/month to $30/month. I had 3 cellular lines. If he could make the apps for my old blackberries it would be even better. But there is a hic that I am working on right now. It works very well on my ipod (yes my ipod is now an internet phone) but not at all on my android where the conversation is too choppy. After a lot of testing, I know the problem is not Google Voice, it is not my wifi, it is not the wireless network, and it is not MJ. It looks like the MJ apps works well on Apple products but not the apps for androids products. I am working on the problem (maybe it is an old android "my touch" or it is busy doing things in the background or too slow. But for now, I will say that for androids the apps is still in Beta version and for Apple it is fully release. So, I will wait for the full release of the apps for androids and use an iphone. Please guys, don't spread the words too much because if those communication crooks find out that we can save a lot doing this, they will find a way around this little trick. Who wants to buy my useless new spare magic jack plus now? Sorry Dan, your company will loose a lot of people now. It is sad because I could triple the size of your company in less than 6 months only by applying common sense.

Last edited by CleverGuy on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:49 am; edited 5 times in total
CleverGuy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Magic Jack charge customer when transfering out phone number Reply with quote

A few years ago, Vonage got sued for charging customer a termination fee ($35) and I got my money back through an action class lawsuit. However, charging a customer when you transfer a phone number to another communication provider, I am not sure if it is legal.
Google voice doesn't charge if they did not issue the phone number, but will charge $3 if they did. So you move from MJ to google voice, MJ charge you $30, 10 times more than google voice. But Google voice will not charge you anything when you will move out to another provider if the phone number was port to them previously from your previous provider. This is strange but it is what they say. So, now is it illegal? I don't know. Google do it and I would care less, it is only $3. However, MJ charge $30, like they want to screw you once more. It would be interesting to have the opinion from a lawyer because I feel that many people will move out of MJ soon with all the shit they pull playing with features and restrictions. Is there any lawyer on this site capable of answering that? For now, I think that google must have read the law before to implement this rule and if they do, than MJ would be in law to do it. The only thing is that $30 is very excessive to transfer a phone number.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the relevant laws/regs, there's nothing to prevent MJ or Google from charging a number "port-out" fee. HOWEVER, it appears that they can NOT refuse to port out your number if you just "happen" to not get around to paying the port-out fee (but there's nothing anywhere that says that they have to complete the number transfer *immediately*, so they can (and MJ, at least, does) take their sweet time about it. With MJ, if you have a credit card on file in your account when they receive the port-out request they will automatically post the $30 fee to the card and immediately proceed with fulfilling the request; but if you do NOT have a card on file they may wait a good month before proceeding.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With MJ, if you have a credit card on file in your account when they receive the port-out request they will automatically post the $30 fee to the card and immediately proceed with fulfilling the request

That's why you always use American Express when dealing with shady companies, one phone call will get you your money back in this case.
Quote:
but if you do NOT have a card on file they may wait a good month before proceeding

Things are apparently getting rougher . My ports, 17 and 11 months ago, were released within 48 hours- I off course refused to pay anything.
wgnweb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ported out from MagicJack to NetTalk last year when I lost call forwarding(I believe everyone that did not have forwarding turned on lost it). Magicjack tried to charge me to port my number OUT but I just ignored all emails and the port went through the day NetTalk promised. MagicJack can TRY and charge you and has the RIGHT to TRY and charge you to port the number out but they can NOT hold up a port because you did not pay for the port out.
netcraazzy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: So long MJ, I barely knew thee Reply with quote

So, I am a small business owner and today I decided I would experiment with MagicJack to see if it is a viable alternative to my existing Vonage service. I purchased MJ specifically because I read that you could forward your MJ number to your cell phone and even the offical FAQ on the company website states that this is possible, for a recently added fee of course.

Wouldn't you know it, I found this forum thread as I was waiting for one of their "live chat" people to get around to answering my question of why I couldn't access the call forwarding feature on my account. Seems they took it away for new customers and are not very good at making people aware of this.

Oh well, guess that is 3 MagicJack plus that will be going back to bestbuy tomorrow and a complaint about MJ the company filed with the BBB, glad I tested with a new number rather than port one of my existing numbers over.

So...what services do you folks recommend as an alternative to MJ that has good call forwarding features? I pay Vonage almost $100 a month for 3 phone numbers and its getting a bit absurd.
wgnweb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi netcraazzy

I am not a new customer to MagicJack. I am an old customer. I was one of the first and use to help people with their problems in magicjacks chat room they use to have where magicjack customers could go in and chat live with reps and other magicjack customers. They figured that was too helpful and they found that Magicjack users knew more than the paid staff. Dan use to go in the chat room from time to time and chat with us. That is why this forum was created to help other users after they took down the chat room.

I use netTALK now but there are a number of other services out there like ooma. netTALK is also available at BestBuy and Walmart so if you wanted to give it a try you could return it if you don't like it. Keep in mind though most services aren't really "UNLIMITED" calling anymore. Both Magicjack and netTALK limit how many minutes you can use a month. netTALK is 3000 mintues, so you may or may not be able to use it for your business. However netTALK does allow you to forward calls for FREE. There are things I like about netTALK over Magicjack (live phone support, louder volume, callerID w/ name, call forwarding) things I don't like about netTALK over Magicjack(seems to be a little bit longer delay on coversations,
ljrich
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Call forwarding Reply with quote

Here is the conversation I just had....I like how when I stated that call forwarding would be a key factor for my decision whether or not to renew, we got disconnected.

You are now chatting with 'Jillian'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554097270406X
Jillian: Hello, how may I help you?
Laura: Hello, When I purchased the magic jack, I was to have caller id and call forwarding, however, I do not have either. Can you please tell me why?
Jillian: Please be advise that caller ID only works when the device is plugged into the computer.
Jillian: We understand how important the magicJack call forwarding feature is. However, the feature is unavailable at this time. We don't presently have any further details about this matter. We do expect the feature to be available again in the near future. Please check our website periodically for updates.
Jillian:
You may download the FREE app and register it on the same account as your magicJack or magicJack PLUS and select the same number, if you own an android or Apple phone.

This way, you will still receive calls if you are not located in the same location with your magicJack device.

Laura: When will the call forwarding be available?
Jillian: We don't have any time frame. We appreciate your patience on this matter. We are working to provide better service through new features and options for our customer. As of the moment that feature is not yet available.

Laura: My account is to renew in July....this may be a key deciding factor. Thank you.
Jillian: Thank you.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it matters at all to this discussion, but as of yesterday, they are STILL forwarding calls to my MJ number into my GV number, although I closed my account at the beginning of November.

Just have to love how well run this company is.
Fire_Witch
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Call Forwarding. Reply with quote

deltabox888 wrote:
I've had my Magic Jack from the get go. I have their original one. I used this link here and was able to turn ON call forwarding. No prompts for payment or anything.

I tested it and it's working fine as of Feb 5th, 2013.

https://web05.magicjack.com/my/call-forwarding.html

Thanks so much for posting that link. I sometimes forward my MJ to my MJP (it's worth the 20 a yr to keep the #) But I went to go turn on the fwrd last week because I decided to turn off my desk top and poof, no longer there.
Link took me right in, controls just as I had last used them.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey stranger. Hope you are well.
I sent you a few emails and messages on Yahoo Messenger but never heard back.
Again I hope you are well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fire_Witch
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
Hey stranger. Hope you are well.
I sent you a few emails and messages on Yahoo Messenger but never heard back.
Again I hope you are well.

hum??? like I said on the phone, my reply got deleted. Shocked
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They always delete posts from fisty redheads, don't you know that? Smile
I did a search for reverting to an older firmware on your plus but could not find anything. I also did a Google seach with the same result, sorry.
Hopfully their next update will correct the problems you are now having after your Plus was update to the latest version.
Maybe someone on here has an idea on how to rill back the Plus to the previous version..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fire_Witch
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck, I will just leave it on the big laptop. I really only use it to keep connected to TV for streaming and DVD movies. BTW after we talked today, I think my MJ audio is a little better w/ it on the pc than it was on the router.
It will give me a chance to create a contact list. ( Joe, your my 1st Wink

I know there is only export on the MJ site. Does any one know if there is a way to import contacts from MJ to MJP?

I would like to find a roll back, but chances are it would do the same thing that happened a couple of yr ago w/ the MJ update that made people loose their contacts. It would just re-update.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference being ( for now anyway) once (if) you roll back and then plug it into the router MJ can't update it until you plug it back into the PC.
I still think that 25' cable you are using to connect your router isn't helping any, which is why it maybe sounds better on the PC.
Your first huh????? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I am NOT going there. hehehe
Fire_Witch
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
The only difference being ( for now anyway) once (if) you roll back and then plug it into the router MJ can't update it until you plug it back into the PC.
I still think that 25' cable you are using to connect your router isn't helping any, which is why it maybe sounds better on the PC.
Your first huh????? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I am NOT going there. hehehe

I think you misunderstood me. The long cat5 is from the modem in the front of house,( incoming DSL) to router. not router to MJ. But I did order a new 3ft to try on MJ to router. I think there might be a problem w/ the cheap original.
Do you really think Magic Jack will start making all of us pay for call forwarding???
hehe, naturally they will wait till after I re-new in October.
djice49202
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Magicjack Call Forwarding Reply with quote

Every time I talk to tech support they give me excuses every time what Ive been told there no going to bring it back. I did some looking and I found another service just like magicjack and better. It's called nettalk http://www.nettalk.com/en/duo They have more features then magicjack same price 30.00 a year. I'm tired of the crap that magicjack is giving us so I'm switching to nettalk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: