magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blocking Unknown Callers (26669-6687)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way for the MJ customer to learn directly who made this anonymous call. When a caller requests anonymity by dialing the *67 code in front of the number it instructs the telephone network to withhold the calling number from the destination party. YMAX, MJ's telephone provider, does receive this information in the SS7 incoming call packet, but they will not disclose it to the MJ user. This is how it is possible to use *69 to call an anonymous party back without having known that party's phone number.

You would be entitled to know the anonymous party's phone number if you were paying for the incoming call. Since MJ does not support collect calls and does not offer toll free numbers, MJ would never disclose such a phone number to you.

If you are in the mood for a challenge you can try to get your local police to investigate your harassing phone calls. You supply the police with your MJ phone number and the exact time and date of each call (in Eastern Standard Time, regardless of what time zone you live in or whether Daylight Savings Time is in effect, since that is the only time stamp MJ uses). The police can then demand the disclosure of the calling party's information for use in their case. MJ Customer Service being what it is, the detectives will probably get more cooperation out of MJ "with a smile and a subpoena than with a smile alone."

Happy hunting.
Firedoc
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant: Thank you, not worth the hassle involving the Police, no harm done at this point. I am very security conscious, and naturally feel if someone calls no matter the reason as a user of Any Phone Service, we should have the knowledge of who is calling first, before answering.

And why I will not answer any number I do not recognize, so a waste of their time, even those from Verizon, Quest, Comcast, Humana, United Health Care, or automated calling systems as only a ploy to annoy, and unwanted.

And the call is never important of those I do recognize when calling, so no I am not in the mood for a challenge, nor wasting more of my time. Same of Spam/Phishing e-mails, commercials, delete & mute.

The Perpetrators, may they receive the same 10 fold for every annoying call or if a scam. Maybe one day someone will for all Phone Services we use invent *99, to Block any unrecognized or unwanted call of that number. Thanks for your time mberlant
sandysmiley1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Calls from 266696687 Reply with quote

I too just received 2 calls from this number. The second call the man said, "What is your name?" my reply, "What is YOUR name!" he replied, "I want to be your friend!" my reply, "You call this number again and I will charge YOU with harassment!" I hung up the phone! Smile [/b]
Bill Smith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathyrow and ChasityLvan are trying to sell a product that is illegal in the US. The posts are SPAM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: