magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bandwidth Management to address delays?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpamBox
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardk wrote:
I installed the DIVX codec (MJ support asked me to do this)

Why the heck would one need to install the Divx codec? Does Mj need this? I prefer Xvid over Divx? Will H.264 work give me HD quality phone calls? Laughing
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpamBox wrote:
edwardk wrote:
I installed the DIVX codec (MJ support asked me to do this)

Why the heck would one need to install the Divx codec? Does Mj need this? I prefer Xvid over Divx? Will H.264 work give me HD quality phone calls? Laughing

SpamBox,

I have heard this one before, I have no idea why it would need it. But if it does or would like to have it I game to try (????).

I'll bet MozerD knows the answer to this on but he doesn't come around much anymore. I may just have to email or call him and see if he knows.
SpamBox
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:

I have heard this one before, I have no idea why it would need it. But if it does or would like to have it I game to try (????).

When the heck do you sleep? I'm at work (now on the late overnight shift 10pm-8:30am). Was bored today so thought I woudl check out the forum. Been awhile since I've stopped by. Didn't realize it had changed URLs.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpamBox wrote:
HolmanGT wrote:

When the heck do you sleep? I'm at work (now on the late overnight shift 10pm-8:30am). Was bored today so thought I woudl check out the forum. Been awhile since I've stopped by. Didn't realize it had changed URLs.

Change URLs and for the better. Now you don't have to wait a day and a half for a screen to come up and your posts and PM don't get trashed half way thru.... Sleep, Hell I don't know my schedule is so screwed up I don't know if it is day or night. Confused
randie
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Canada, we always get screwed. Shaw Cablesystems here in B.C. and Alberta provides their own telephone service under the name Shaw home phone.

It is similar to what some of the big cable companies offer in the USA.

Shaw has their own dedicated network for this service, and freely admits to limiting the ability of their customers to use any voip type service, or the MJ.

I honestly have no idea how they make it that you can surf at blazing speeds, but cannot use bandwith for the MJ, or a Voip service, but again, the clearly admit to doing this.
JackTheMan18
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randie wrote:
As for Canada, we always get screwed. Shaw Cablesystems here in B.C. and Alberta provides their own telephone service under the name Shaw home phone.

It is similar to what some of the big cable companies offer in the USA.

Shaw has their own dedicated network for this service, and freely admits to limiting the ability of their customers to use any voip type service, or the MJ.

I honestly have no idea how they make it that you can surf at blazing speeds, but cannot use bandwith for the MJ, or a Voip service, but again, the clearly admit to doing this.

I am in Toronto, using Rogers Cable as my ISP. Do you know if Rogers is "limiting" VOIP service here as well? I have a slight delay in connecting, and many "dropouts".
schwim
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there everyone,

I know it was discussed over a year ago, but could one of the techier members tell me if you're applying QoS by application or by port(and if by port, which one?). I'm too new to the system to have experienced any performance problems, but wanted to nix what I could before it happened.

thanks,
json
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwim wrote:
Hi there everyone,

I know it was discussed over a year ago, but could one of the techier members tell me if you're applying QoS by application or by port(and if by port, which one?). I'm too new to the system to have experienced any performance problems, but wanted to nix what I could before it happened.

thanks,
json

Json,

I have never tweaked my QoS and all has been fine. I personally believe it has more to do with the MJ server you normally default to. And I have seen a few post here that by change their default server most of the audio problems would disappear for the individual making the post.

A problem with using port configuration with MJ is that it uses some ports in the 10,000 to 30,000 range at random. Some have actually opened up all those ports to cater to MJ, personally I don't think that is wise but what the hell do I know. By the way if you don't open up the entire range (and the range I mentioned may not be 100% accurate but close) and MJ attempts to use one you didn't open you problem will return and you'll be back scratching your head.

Also remember that QoS is only a one way street for outgoing data so it will not be much help for incoming.

My personal bullet proof recommendation is don't use you Internet for anything while make a phone call. follow that rule and you won't have any problems at least not any that are created on your end of the pipe.

If you have a large pipe... say 1 up 10 down as I do most all your MJ communications will be great. But remember MJ has it moods (OK so it has a lot of moods) so don't go dismantling your computer every time it acts up a little. Most MJ problems go away on their own if you give it a little time.

Just remember for $20 dollars a year you are going to get lost and lost of free long distance phone call that will be great quality but for $20 a year you may not have 365 days of perfection albeit close. Very Happy

PS - "The Gospel According to HolmanGT" Never, Never, Never let MJ Tech support talk you into changing or removing software on your personal computer. That is there standard Modes Operandi and usually finishes with your computer broken, MJ not working and the Tech say well I am going to have to escalate this up to engineering and you will get a call in a few days - "I have some swamp land if you are interested". If you have problems come here and follow the instructions of the more seasoned members. It is not as satisfying as talking straight to the horses mouth but the answers you get will be more accurate and I guarantee less painful.
schwim
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there George and thanks very much for your reply.

I understand your point and it makes complete sense. Luckily we've got substantial available throughput on our end. We've used it a few times so far and the quality has been good. One dropped call and a couple odd artifacts, but as you stated, I've told my wife that there will be some form of trade off for saving over 800 bucks a year. I told her when she gets frustrated at the phone, ask herself if it's worth $800 annually to get rid of the quirk Smile

Thanks again for your response. I imagine you're right that I'll be more likely to run into throughput issues outside of my local network. You know how it is when you get something new though. You try to find all possible weak points. Often it goes a little overboard Smile

thanks,
json
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bern09
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Canadain man`s delay Reply with quote

I am from Canada and had this same problem until I talked online with majicjack and they helped me add ports to my firewall so that majicjack could work through or around the firewall. That solved the problem.
daniel devereaux
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Ports for UDP Voip packets that MJ uses: Reply with quote

If you "forward" ports 5060 and 5070 for UDP packets on your window's firewall *and* your home router (not Cable/Fios/DSL modem) - most of your voice quality issues should go away!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: