magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attempt to Upgrade RAM on T5500 Unsuccessful

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g9s0x
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Attempt to Upgrade RAM on T5500 Unsuccessful Reply with quote

I have an HP T5500 Thin Client with the following original specs:

TM5800 processor 733 MHz
32MB Flash
128 MB RAM DDR 333MHz SODIMM

I am not using this specifically for Magic Jack but a related telephony setup using Asterisk. I have successfully installed and tested 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB Transcend 44 pin horizontal DOMs (Flash). I've checked the BIOS settings for all three of them and it always displays the correct amount of Flash memory installed. I also wanted to upgrade the RAM to either 512MB or 1GB. I ordered both variants at 333MHz DDR SODIMM and the brand name was Avant. However, I cannot get these to work properly. Here are the issues:

When the 512MB SODIMM is installed, the Thin Client will power up but the screen will never come up.

When the 1GB SODIMM is installed, the Thin Client will get to the HP screen and freeze. I cannot hit F12 or F10 to get into the BIOS settings nor can I hit TAB to see the POST screen.

Just for kicks, I also tried the 266MHz variants of the SODIMM memory and actually got the exact same results as mentioned above. Any ideas as to where my problem may lay?
g9s0x
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add that everything works fine when I put the old stick of 128MB RAM back into the T5500. Perhaps this is the limitation of the motherboard? The weird thing to me is that with the 512MB installed I get the Thin Client's power LED to light up and the Flash memory's blue LED lights up but the monitor stays blank and nothing loads to the screen. With the 1GB RAM installed, I actually get to the HP screen but it freezes. I'd expect the same behavior from both sticks of RAM if the issue was limitation.

It goes without saying but I appreciate any hints or suggestions in advance!
g9s0x
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I found some additional information on the Transmeta Crusoe TM5800 processor (733 MHz) that I am using. Here is a link to the information:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/TM5800/Transmeta-Crusoe%20TM5800%20733%20MHz%20-%205800A073310.html

It says it has a 64 bit DDR RAM controller but still no figures on hardware defined RAM limitations based on this chipset. I'm going to try to dig up some information on the motherboard next as I'd imagine the motherboard specs may define the maximum amount of allowed RAM.

Just thought I would update the post with some additional, perhaps useful, information. Hopefully I can resolve this and I hope, at least, this will help someone else out in the future. Thanks again in advance for any suggestions!
g9s0x
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting another update here. I found the manual online for the Transmeta Crusoe TM5800 located here:

http://ebookbrowse.com/gdoc.php?id=63201390&url=cb22a95f6b26d0364c517836e16e72e6

It appears to me from looking at Table 11 on page 51 that the DDR memory controller only supports up to 512MB. The mention of RAM frequency is left for another document that is referenced on page 52.

I'm still not sure why I get no response from the system with the 512MB DDR installed and get some response from the system with the 1GB DDR installed - that is I get to the HP screen but it freezes. I would expect no functionality with 1GB RAM installed, but that's just me speculating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: