magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Annual charges for porting the same number each year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boutdone
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Annual charges for porting the same number each year. Reply with quote

I bought a one year plan from magic jack last year and at the same time purchased a five year premium plan. I kept my same phone number. All was well for over a year. Now I get a warning message each time I make a call and am told to go on MJ and port my phone number. I call customer service and they say yes, I am going to have to pay a $10 annual fee in order to keep my old number that I started with. Is this right? I saw nothing in the advertising or even in the very lengthy terms of service agreement they said I accepted. I am new so please excuse me for all the things I am doing wrong.
Pilot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean with: "I kept my same phone number. " ?
Boutdone
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, What I meant when I said is that I kept my old number is I meant that I continued to use the same phone number with MJ that I had been assigned by my previous service provider. MJ said that I could keep my old number and I did. It was not a new number or a special number. Now MJ says I must pay a port charge annually.
SouthFlorida
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called legal theft. And I do remember seeing info on this before, luckily I didn't have to port a numb
SouthFlorida
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called legal theft. And I do remember seeing info on this before, luckily I didn't have to port a numb
Boutdone
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is: since porting is moving a phone number from one server to another, how can it be legal to annually continue to port from themselves to themselves. By the way, I did look at the "terms of service" contract, I thought was a standard form. It is not. It says that if you don't agree with the way they treat you, your "only" recourse is to submit your case to a costly American Arbitration Service for settlement. Their "terms of service" says you may seek no other recourse including "class action law suit". Sounds like their lawyers were accurately predicting the future. I noticed on Google that there is a class action law suit in progress. My advice to myself is: If it sounds too good to be true..... I can afford to loose a couple hundred dollars by walking away but letting a thief have their way bothers me. Another point, TOS agreement says if they don't like me they can take me to AAS for binding arbitration. Ma Bell is looking better.
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: you have to pay $$ to port your old # to MJ,
then: you have to pay MJ $$ each year to keep your number ported for you,
then finally: when you want to go back to your "old" ph. Co you have to pay MJ $$$ to let you take "your own #" back with you......
Good luck, have fun with MJ
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boutdone wrote:
Ma Bell is looking better.

No it does not. You just did not do your homework and signed up for a crooked, worthless service. If you want to find something better, here is a hint : http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/list-of-good-voip-providers-t13082.html
Good luck.
Gary_jbp
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Can't port to GV Reply with quote

I tried to port to gv. I'm told my number is out of their support area. Any alternative?
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tried to port to gv. I'm told my number is out of their support area. Any alternative?

Your number has to be ported first to a major cell carrier and from there to GV.
But there are some numbers which cannot be ported.
Alternatives? Check with Localphone .com whether they are able to port your number. Free unlimited DID would be $ 1/month.
If not,check out the alternatives under
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/list-of-good-voip-providers-t13082.html
greenman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't port to GV Reply with quote

Gary_jbp wrote:
This is how I ported to GV. I had to go first from AT&T landline to AT&T GoPhone. Then from GoPhone to Google Voice. There's a specific 800 number I had to call to make GoPhone do the transfer. They were fairly quick about it. It was a little more expensive for the initial outlay, but now that it's in place, I'm glad to have it set up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: