magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Actiontec modem from TELUS frustrates MJ+

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waynestilling
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Actiontec modem from TELUS frustrates MJ+ Reply with quote

I have a MJ+ about 4 months old, was using it with Actiontech V1000H modem.

A week ago the phone company gave me a newer Actiontech V1000H and since then chronic Error 3002. Will not connect to modem. MJ support had me open the Actiontech and put the mj+ into DMZ. This worked fine, UNTIL I turned off the modem at night, next morning 3002, because I am guessing the dynamic IP address had changed. I changed the DMZ IP address and it worked, again only until modem was shut off. On restart 3002 again.

I travel a lot, and having the modem always on is no good for me, I need to turn it off, but then loose the MJ+ wifi connection.

I called support again, 6hrs and 7 different agents later still not working from modem. Support opened ports 5060/5070, but still not working.

Help please

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by waynestilling on Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
waynestilling
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: after all the hours spent on chat help, I decided to try and fix it late last night. I did the DMZ thing again, and it did not work. Played around with DHCP, did not work. Did several reboots, replaced the power adapter, did not work. Put the factory power adapter back and deleted DMZ. The ports that chat help had opened did not fix the problem but decided to leave as is, leave them there even though 3002 still there.

Unplugged all wires, turned off modem, went to bed. This morning I connected all wires and booted up the modem, and could not believe the damn thing was working ok. It has stayed stable all day. Don't know what will happen next time modem is powered off........we'll see.
-30-
greenman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waynestilling wrote:
UPDATE: after all the hours spent on chat help, I decided to try and fix it late last night. I did the DMZ thing again, and it did not work. Played around with DHCP, did not work. Did several reboots, replaced the power adapter, did not work. Put the factory power adapter back and deleted DMZ. The ports that chat help had opened did not fix the problem but decided to leave as is, leave them there even though 3002 still there.

Unplugged all wires, turned off modem, went to bed. This morning I connected all wires and booted up the modem, and could not believe the damn thing was working ok. It has stayed stable all day. Don't know what will happen next time modem is powered off........we'll see.
-30-

I'm leary of any modem that is also acting as my main router. Why? Because with the modem and router collapsed together in one unit, the ISP can see every device you have attached to your network with a lot more ease than if you connect via a firewalled router. I am almost certain some ISP's out there are collecting as much data as they can about the habits of their users before some privacy rights group closes that gap.

You'll see the best results by using a separate router that allows you to assign static IP's to specific devices on your network, like your magicJack plus.
waynestilling
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenman; you are absolutely correct.

UPDATE: 01.2.14 The Actiontec from Telus has some settings and features removed. It is not possible to port or DMZ to a specific IP address outside the paramaters of this device. Sometimes the MJ+ will work and when it does the quality is excellent, but because of the Actiontec the MJ+ is unstable, so now I am using it as a regular MJ, always connected to a computer........the quality is very good for both in/out calls.

The MJ+ is a good device but not with Actiontec from TELUS.
waynestilling
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Works great with a different Actoiontec Reply with quote

........so I got another Actiontec router from Telus. This one recognized the MJ+ in the LAN settings, unlike the previous router. I ported and DHCP'd and the MJ+ works just fine. About every 24-48 hrs it goes error 3002, just a simple disconnect of the MJ+ from power, wait 10 seconds, replug and working again, no need to roboot router.

MJ+ working great.
waynestilling
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TELUS did a Actiontech firmware u/g and knocked down the MJ. It took a while to finally get MJ connected.
Did a reboot while connected to the Actiontech page 192.168.1.254 and with the MJ connected.
I noticed the MJ had been assigned a IP address outside the DHCP rsvns list, this surprised me, never before happened.
Did a DHCP for that "assigned" address, and port forwarded 5060, 5070, 49152, 65525. Jury out..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: