magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a cool idea!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curiousgeorge
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: a cool idea! Reply with quote

Found an adapter online that lets you connect usb devices to a router(must be used with a powered hub because rj45 port does not have enough power).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-Male-Ethernet-Connector-Adaptor/dp/B000MHO3Q8/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

for all you mad hackers with the skillz! Cool maybe a start to using MJ without a pc.

1. I have seen moded routers(linksys) that have an external SD card for more memory,could possibly load xpe or basic components,drivers,etc. to make MJ work.

2. possible to use MJ remotely direct from your router's ethernet port.

I'm just dreaming here Laughing but what ideas can you think of that might make this a reality?yes, I know it is a crazy idea. Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil

ebay also has them search for "Female USB A to Ethernet RJ45"
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream on Laughing Laughing Laughing
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: a cool idea! Reply with quote

curiousgeorge wrote:
Found an adapter online that lets you connect usb devices to a router(must be used with a powered hub because rj45 port does not have enough power).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-Male-Ethernet-Connector-Adaptor/dp/B000MHO3Q8/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

for all you mad hackers with the skillz! Cool maybe a start to using MJ without a pc.

1. I have seen moded routers(linksys) that have an external SD card for more memory,could possibly load xpe or basic components,drivers,etc. to make MJ work.

I'm just dreaming here Laughing but what ideas can you think of that might make this a reality?yes, I know it is a crazy idea. Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil

You cant do that... that would just power it... the most you would get is the blue LED lit. You need a propper ATA to that and the SIP info you can buy from Magicjack as soon as they support using your own on eqipment.
Peace
kUmar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bendle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: a cool idea! Reply with quote

curiousgeorge wrote:

Its not a matter of just getting compatible plugs and adapters to fit. MJ requires software to run and that software requires an Operating system which requires a computer.
curiousgeorge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, I am aware of why(technically) this is not possible that is why I posted in the lounge section but I also know that there are some very smart and creative people out there.If you go to youtube you will see people running xp/vista on a sony psp,that is just one of hundred's of really cool things people can technically acomplish when they experiment.I really do not belive it is impossible to acomplish,very difficult yes,impossible no,look how far the human brain has brought us since the stoneage,I will experiment even if I fail,thats half the fun Smile peace out and good luck on all MJ projects on the boiler. Idea
Bendle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... so lets think out of the box... Maybe some genius will write some custom firmware for a common router out there to support the MJ in the way you described.
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's available way before MagicJack was invented and it's called ATA, you plug the ATA directly into a router, no PC needed Smile

Bendle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikeMagic wrote:
Yes, it's available way before MagicJack was invented and it's called ATA, you plug the ATA directly into a router, no PC needed Smile

I am not ATA educated.... So why exactly would we use MJ again? What does it do that your ATA solution cannot do?
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendle wrote:
I am not ATA educated.... So why exactly would we use MJ again?

Why?? So that we can join this forum and curse why MJ is not perfect Laughing Cool Wink

Bendle wrote:
What does it [MJ] do that your ATA solution cannot do?

See answer above Laughing Cool Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: