magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
60 Minute limit = call drops automatically.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyFreightTRAIN
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere on the form that the 60 minute limit has been extended to 2 hours.

I tested it out, and sure enough, both magicjacks have two hour time limits. Can anyone else confirm this?
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

Thunder
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i can confirm it. I tried it several times and yep 2 hour limit. Which I can live with.
Comcast
tradertx
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same conclusion here. On my ancient generation One MagicJack, which two weeks ago was cutting me off after a loud buzz at the 60 minute point, is now letting me complete hour and a half teleconferences (as of Saturday, Jan 24) without interruption. I haven't had anything over two hours to test the alleged 2-hour limit.

Yours,
tradertx
Dallas, Texas area
FredFriendly
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyFreightTRAIN wrote:
I read somewhere on the form that the 60 minute limit has been extended to 2 hours.

I tested it out, and sure enough, both magicjacks have two hour time limits. Can anyone else confirm this?

The last time I tested the time limit of outgoing calls the call was cut off at exactly one hour (1:00:00). Performing the same test this morning, it was cut off at exactly one hour fifty-nine minutes (1:59:00).

I wonder if the 'Help[less] Desk' has been informed of this change, or if Dan and crew are still making their clandestined 'experiements.' Has anyone had the misfortune to discuss this with 'Live Chat?'

FredFriendly
=========
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could live with a one hour limit,but two is more than fair.

As I understand the problem, some MJ calls go on forever and they needed a sure fire way to release the connection so it can be reused by another caller.

Dan should share information like this with his customers,It would go along way toward making this company seem less spooky.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt9876 wrote:
Dan should share information like this with his customers,It would go along way toward making this company seem less spooky.

I agree, this isn't the first time he's pulled a surprise on everyone (including his support group).

But, I disagree with the rationale for the call cap. The story is that it was to fix "phantom" traffic. But, it was solved by telling the softphone to disconnect after 30 minutes (then 1 hour, now 2 hours). How "phantom" is traffic that can be controlled by the softphone? If the softphone can terminate the call, they should have had no trouble identifying abusers of the network and impose a limit on *them* -- probably < 1% of the total customers.

Secondly, zombie connections can be identified by the amount of traffic going through the connection. You can start Wireshark and watch the RTP traffic compared to when you're talking and saying nothing. This kind of monitoring of connection activity could have been performed on their server. If Dan eventually sells an ATA service (as he said he would a few months ago), he'll have to use server-side monitoring like this.

I'm not buying the "phantom" traffic excuse. I think call caps were implemented because MJ sold unexpectedly well during the holiday season. Dan was protecting himself from what he feared would be a huge surge in activity Christmas day.

Mark
gots2go
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too can testify to the 2 hour limit. This has happened to me a couple of times with the same person! What can I say... long distance relationships!

Separately, I remember when I had TMobile and they inflicted time limits too. At that time the limit was 90 minutes. In fact, I think Sprint does the same thing currently, I am sure it is all about managing/optimizing the network.
DanD
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirming that the limit has now been increased to 2 hours.
luigi2008
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't time it but the outgoing call lasted more than an hour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: