magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3G Modem/Routers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul777
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: 3G Modem/Routers Reply with quote

Hello fellow MJ and MJ+ users.... looking for advise.

I'm considering dropping my DSL provider (contract is up in 3 months) and use data plan with cell phone carrier instead (cheaper per month rate and portable). Does any one use or have experience with using 3G modem/routers and more specifically are you using it with MJ or MJ+ ?

Here's what I'm looking at. Ideally I want to find a model that accepts SIM card directly without having to use a USB stick.

http://www.mofinetwork.com

Thoughts... suggestions... will the speeds be fast enough to support voip?

Thanks to all that respond.

PS: I need a model that accepts SIM cards directly and also has at least 4 ethernet ports. Two ports would be used for two MJ+ that will be on 24/7. If you are using a specific model please give MFG name and model#. It should be penta band in case of switching cell phone carrier or use some one else's SIM.
scotty200

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i don't know what part of Canada your from but getting net from 3g is costly and your caped big time if you use one of the big 3 u will want to only use mj and maybe serf if you go over you will pay big time stay away from YouTube netflix and torrents site . if u do go with that 3g i wold think u want to get a 3g router if you get the mjp then u can use both at the same time with out slowing computer also if you are going with a 3g try wind as there a lot less and if you go over they only slow you down not charge u for usage

3g will work for voip it should be ok depending on if you have a clear signal if u want to get a router that you can use a sim card there out there but my cost less to get the stick and router sepretly as most i have seen on line that have the sim in it cost $200 + were u can get a router were u add the stick will cost 99.00 more or less some 3g companys will give u the usb stick free some also have the router with sim in it

good luck

have a good one
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you're looking forward to a heartache. Speed will not be the issue but jitter and latency will make your experience very distasteful. Not a knock on MJ but a reality for any VOIP scheme; jitter and latency will spoil the party for sure...
Paul777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a suburb of Toronto. The cell tower data plans have dropped in price via WIND and Mobilicity (roughly $30-35/month). DSL is $25-30/per month. Definitely the per month data cap differs from the two packages. WIND and Mobilicity advertise as "unlimited data" but in reading the fine print, it's subject to "fair use" policy. I'm not much of a big download person or online gaming. It's mainly email and some light surfing for news/information or checking out ads on Kijiji, etc. It's factor to consider though in case friends/relatives visit but tethering to phone could easily be done. DSL would be 20GB to 30GB per month.

I think if I was in a more rural area 3G/4G would be the way to go as DSL may not even be available, but as I'm typing this I realizing that the hardwire (DSL) is cheapest and best since that is available. Smile If the cell carriers do go cheaper than DSL, then I will definately re-visit the idea. Good chance that new routers will come as well making it a compelling alternative.
scotty200

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here in Toronto u have teksavvy there good and there price are good and u get good bandwidth and lot of speed choices and best of all no contract http://teksavvy.com/en/default.asp

have a good one
Paul777

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently with Acanac right now. Might have to go with TechSavvy if Acanac doesn't give good renewal rate. Smile

I've seen Bell offer some really good deals on their internet stick. Some times Bestbuy and Future Shop offer $200 gift cards. I would actually go with Rogers but their service is not good in rural areas. For example if I go to my friends cottage I don't get any cell reception on Rogers or FIDO but my friend with Bell does get reception.

Anyway I think I will put this on back burner for now but will keep watching rates of 3G/4G data from cell carriers.
Paul777

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... back onto 3G routers...

I found a router that seems to be pretty slick. Doesn't seem to be available for this part of the world though.

It's the Dlink DIR-455.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzvmxd3Zy7s

Anyone know where I can order this in North America ? Or is there another router with same features I can buy ?
Paul777

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have been investigating possible solutions, I have decided that since I'm getting such a great deal with my cell phone provider (Mobilicity) that I no longer need MagicJack or MagicJack Plus. I'm also not going to renew my DSL either.

Essentially my cell phone plan is unlimited everything for $30/month. That includes North American calling (no blocked numbers), Unlimited Data, Global Texting.

I will use my unlimited data plan for internet connection, since I am only reading email and light browsing, and for a nice hand set solution I will go with Vtech Connect to Cell handset, or Panasonic Link to Cell for lengthy calls when I am in the house.

Time frame I've set is July since that is when my DSL subscription runs out. This will give me time to aquire hand set and change voice announcments about phone# changes in advance. Please check the "for sale" forum if you live in Toronto.

I will be in the forums for a while .. at least until July.

Good-bye Dan Borislow ! It has been an experience I hope to never repeat.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul777 wrote:
Since I have been investigating possible solutions, I have decided that since I'm getting such a great deal with my cell phone provider (Mobilicity) that I no longer need MagicJack or MagicJack Plus. I'm also not going to renew my DSL either.

Essentially my cell phone plan is unlimited everything for $30/month. That includes North American calling (no blocked numbers), Unlimited Data, Global Texting.

I will use my unlimited data plan for internet connection, since I am only reading email and light browsing, and for a nice hand set solution I will go with Vtech Connect to Cell handset, or Panasonic Link to Cell for lengthy calls when I am in the house.

Time frame I've set is July since that is when my DSL subscription runs out. This will give me time to aquire hand set and change voice announcments about phone# changes in advance. Please check the "for sale" forum if you live in Toronto.

I will be in the forums for a while .. at least until July.

Good-bye Dan Borislow ! It has been an experience I hope to never repeat.
While it's sad to see a fellow MJ user move on I wish you the best of luck and savings.
Paul777

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought my first step in dumping MJ.....

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/panasonic-panasonic-3-handset-dect-6-0-plus-cordless-phone-with-answering-machine-and-bluetooth-kxtg7623b-kxtg7623b/10163527.aspx?path=cf471b188418bc50e602789077e52294en02

Batteries charging now. Smile
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul777 wrote:
Just bought my first step in dumping MJ.....

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/panasonic-panasonic-3-handset-dect-6-0-plus-cordless-phone-with-answering-machine-and-bluetooth-kxtg7623b-kxtg7623b/10163527.aspx?path=cf471b188418bc50e602789077e52294en02

Batteries charging now. Smile

I just bought a similar looking Panasonic phone, 2 handsets and without the answering machine and bluetooth capability, and like it a lot, so far.
Paul777

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... this works great ! I can make or receive calls through my cell number on this handset with no issue. I can be in any room, or outside (range is amazing).

Now I don't have to leave my router and DSL modem on. Smile

When I leave the house the bluetooth disconnects, and the landline features still work. When I get home or my cell phone is in range of the base unit, it auto connects. That means I can charge cell phone in one room, but still make and receive calls from the cordless phone units. Also quite convenient as it consolidates 3 numbers into one unit so it removes clutter of other hand set bases and power cords that I had for the two MJ+.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: