magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014 MJM+ WiFi SDIO slot???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickford
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: 2014 MJM+ WiFi SDIO slot??? Reply with quote

OK folks, my first post after searching for something about my subject first but don't see anything...Forgive me if it's a repeat and maybe give me a link.... that said...

In a nut shell, is there a SDIO card that plugs in the slot on the 2014 mj+ that enables wifi. I want to plug my cordless 6.0 phone base into MJ at a location other than where my WiFi router is. I thought that the 2014 model could talk to the router via wifi without the Ethernet Cat 5 cable plugged in to the dongle? I can't seem to find any info that says that a wifi SDIO (memory card) will do the job. Am I all wet here???

Thanks. Rolling Eyes
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2014 MJM+ WiFi SDIO slot??? Reply with quote

Rickford wrote:
OK folks, my first post after searching for something about my subject first but don't see anything...Forgive me if it's a repeat and maybe give me a link.... that said...

In a nut shell, is there a SDIO card that plugs in the slot on the 2014 mj+ that enables wifi. I want to plug my cordless 6.0 phone base into MJ at a location other than where my WiFi router is. I thought that the 2014 model could talk to the router via wifi without the Ethernet Cat 5 cable plugged in to the dongle? I can't seem to find any info that says that a wifi SDIO (memory card) will do the job. Am I all wet here???

Thanks. Rolling Eyes

It remains to be seen whether Dan, "the inventor", will fulfill the promises made concerning future developments like Wifi, etc
Based on past history, that would happen later than sooner.....
I wouldnt hold my breath Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
greenman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 MJM+ WiFi SDIO slot??? Reply with quote

Rickford wrote:

Thanks. Rolling Eyes
I think you're on the right track with the microSD port (SDIO). Since that's the port that's labeled "wifi" it suggests that we're likely to have no internal wifi. We'll have to buy an additional SDIO microSD adapter for somewhere between $50 to $80.

It may be possible that we could use USB to enable WIFI as well. Your guess is as good as mine.

We may be able to use a USB DECT phone like this one from Logitech.

I can't think of the logitech phone as anything other than a travel phone. It's too lightweight for serious office or home use with children and pets. Perhaps YMax is coming out with its own line of USB phones just for magicJack. I've still got an old Linksys Iphone. It would be interesting to see if that will work with this machine.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the firmware upgrade they're talking about.
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2012 MJ+ is working fine, so I'm waiting for the next All in One MJ+ 2015 (or 2016).
greenman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we have suspected, there seems to be no internal WIFI. It's definitely going to be through SDIO.

It remains to be seen whether magicJack will sell a companion SDIO card or cozy up to existing manufacturers to get some sort of device compatibility propaganda on various devices, the same way Skype has with various products.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: